• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, May 26-29, 2017

Took me a second to realize that was two breakfasts. Initially thought the plates on the other side of the table were part of that.

:tab Back in 2006, I led a group ride out of Clarksville. There was 3" of rain the night before we started riding... :wary: It was a crazy day of water crossings, STEEP descents and climbs, and just hard riding. It was a blast. I had planned a longish route, but we ended up doing only the first 25 miles or so because it got so crazy. It has been 11 years, so I don't know if the "roads" still go through for the first part of that route. If you are up for a challenge though...

:tab I have attached a hand drawn track of where the road goes. We did almost all of the section on the track, but were finally thwarted by a DEEP crossing. We were unable to reach the climb out of the valley on the West end of the attached track.

:tab As you head West on FS 1525, there was a FAINT two track trail on the left running off into the woods. We passed it twice when looking for it. It runs along a ridge to the West. If you see FS 4418, that is not it. It runs slightly North of and roughly parallel to 4418. Most maps will show nothing beyond 4418. I have the Garmin Topo Maps from WAY back and they just show an unnamed road continuing West along the South side of the ridge. Google Earth shows it as being the continuation of FS 1525 and it looks like it has been improved since we were there. But Google Earth shows it turning North before the end of the ridge. We kept going due West for the most part. At the end of the ridge, it makes a 500 foot drop down into the valley below. Google Earth shows the road in the bottom of the valley, but there is no name. It runs North up the valley and intersects a road which Google Earth shows as Pink Twist. We went left into another valley that ran Southwest. We got about half way down before having to backtrack.

:tab This was NOT a big bike friendly route!! I was on a KLR 650 and it was a challenge. Of course, I was not as experienced then as I am now, but many of the other riders with me were experienced and were having a tough time of it as well, even on smaller bikes. Things may have changed since I was there all those years ago, but I doubt it is much better going down that 500 ft drop or down in the valley. So explore at your own risk ;-)

Here is the ride report from that trip (lots of pics)
http://twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=124377&postcount=36

Attachments

• FR 1525 to Pink Twist.gpx
    11.1 KB · Views: 375
JT, This looks great. How do you carry it to distribute the weight?

They are good, and very durable. I actually sit on it sometimes. I'm on my second one. First was stolen in Mexico.

If I don't have additional luggage I just strap it to the back of my seat on my 450EXC. I use the same mounting points I use for my soft luggage. Basically, they consist of a couple of sturdy D rings held in place with a heavy duty hose clamp. They've held up perfectly on several adventures.

I made a cover for the first one. I'm making another but with some additional straps sewn in so I can attach things like a small tool kit or whatever to it.

Without the cover, there are small grommets already installed. I tied loops of para cord in those and ran a tie-down strap through them. At the back I ran the strap through a couple of carabiners hooked to the fender. Worked great.

Make sure you don't fill it up all the way and purge it when needed. I usually don't put more than a gallon in it. The second picture was after a couple of hours out in Big Bend last month just before I purged it again.

80b56153-6f39-459a-b59c-41cabd1ae202_zpswmxah1gh.jpg

Big%20Bend%20March%202017%20450EXC_zpsed5apbcl.jpg

Sounds good! I will enjoy the ride on Fri, but would be great to save the tires for Arkansas! :trust:

I might be able to help you guys out...... (might).
I've been trying to get this buddy of mine into dual sport and I think he might go on this trip, BUT if he dosn't... I would be happy to swing over from east TX or meet you half way and give you guys a ride. The big deal is my trailer only holds 3 bikes :eek2:. So you see if I have 4, it's a no go. P.M. me and we'll talk.:trust::clap:

I might be able to help you guys out...... (might).
I've been trying to get this buddy of mine into dual sport and I think he might go on this trip, BUT if he dosn't... I would be happy to swing over from east TX or meet you half way and give you guys a ride. The big deal is my trailer only holds 3 bikes :eek2:. So you see if I have 4, it's a no go. P.M. me and we'll talk.:trust::clap:

Thank you so much! I am sending you and Goyko a PM. Much appreciated!

Im a strong possible. My Son finishes school that week so If the Boss ok's it We're in.
Subcomm msg me if you want to travel up together. :pirate:

Sorry you cant make it, I have been so busy haven't made many rides at all this spring. I am going to make this ride. We will be there Thursday night, leaving on Monday sometime. Does anybody have a count so far?

I stayed here 3 years ago and said I'll never stay here again:eek2:. It's 50 yards from the train track and the trains come by about every 2 hours.:doh:.
Got a hotel after the 2nd night.:clap:

You must be a very light sleeper. Nothing bothers me when I am asleep. I've stayed there twice this spring. :mrgreen:

I stayed here 3 years ago and said I'll never stay here again:eek2:. It's 50 yards from the train track and the trains come by about every 2 hours.:doh:.
Got a hotel after the 2nd night.:clap:

I am a light sleeper, and the trains are frequent--and close!
But they only bothered me While we were still up and about the camp site. I slept fine, surprisingly.

The convenient location, the views of the lake, the nice clean bathrooms and showers made staying there worth it to me. But, yeah, be advised; trains in area! (And JT could sleep thru a zombie apocalypse.) ;-)

I think we are in the Hampton Inn, the other hotel was full.

By the way, we are driving from Nashville to Clarksville on Thursday. Won't be in till late, but I am open to some riding on Friday if anybody else is.

Right on... we are all loaded up about to head to Nashville. Mary is not going to Clarksville with me, so it will just be me, the Husky and the Twin.

FYI weather shows the river is flooding right now and there is rain the entire time we are there, but things change so I am not going to worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who's going to be in Clarksville Thursday evening?

Daniel and I should be arriving around 4-5pm. We're going to be riding my GS in the area on Friday. Friday evening, we'll make our way to toward Kingston on Hwy 21 to Wildernessrider's property to ride dirt bikes Saturday and Sunday.

I was just thinking we might hook up for dinner with anyone that might be in town.

We'll be back in town again on Sunday evening.

Both nights we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel on the West end of town.

Last edited:
Who's going to be in Clarksville Thursday evening?

Daniel and I should be arriving around 4-5pm. We're going to be riding my GS in the area on Friday. Friday evening, we'll make our way to toward Kingston on Hwy 21 to Wildernessrider's property to ride dirt bikes Saturday and Sunday.

I was just thinking we might hook up for dinner with anyone that might be in town.

We'll be back in town again on Sunday evening.

Both nights we are staying at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel on the West end of town.

I won't get there until Friday, but will be at the same hotel as you two. I believe Camilo and Nadeem are there too. So maybe Sunday dinner?

I am out - family obligations. Y'all be careful and have fun!

I will be at the Holiday Inn Express also coming in Thursday night. The sunset Inn just called me with a room vacancy if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, y'all might think this is funny, I do :clap:.... So right around May 1 (a little late in the evening, about 7 or 8) I call Sunset and said " I'm with the motorcycle rally, Blah Blah Blah and I need a room for 4 nights starting Thursday." :rider:The man on the other end says "no problem, can I get your # and call you back tomorrow?" ...ok?...sure.? :ponder:So I wait for a phone call.... 2 days go by and I call back, "Hi I called about a room for 4 nights a couple of days ago?" same guy says "Sure Sure, my wife is taking care of these (bookings) and shes at a kids ball game right now, can she call you back after 7? ...."sure.?":wary: So I wait. No calls and I get busy the next 3 or 4 days until it dawns on me, I haven't confirmed my rooms! So I call back.... "Hi I'm the guy thats waiting on a call to book my room?":uhoh: Same guy say's "yes, yes, I told you my wife will call you, she has your #, dont worry." .......ok!?!?:brainsnap (hang up). So I let a week, or more, go by. Called last night....He says, "I told you, you have a room, no problem." "I have a room? I thought you were going to call my back?" "Oh no you have a room, no worry's." :headbang:
So if I show up Thursday night and dont have a room I'm not going to be happy!:pound::biggun:

:tab The Holiday Inn Express has a good bit of room behind the hotel for parking trucks/trailers. There is also a back door right next to a laundry room that leads to that parking area. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was pretty good.

:tab I have been asked about some good street routes for those not doing the DS rides. I have attached four loops, each just over 300 miles, that cover many of the best roads. They are GPX files, so right click and save as. If you leave no later than 9:00am, you should get back before 6:00pm unless you have some kind of prolonged stop other than lunch.

Attachments

• Clarksville to Melbourne.gpx
    422.1 KB · Views: 437
  • Clarksville to Mountain View.gpx
    415.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Clarksville to Noel.gpx
    388.6 KB · Views: 428
  • Clarksville to Peels Ferry.gpx
    384.8 KB · Views: 440
Anybody else going from DFW area that has spot for me and my bike on the trailer? Badtex is not sure about his plan, so he sudgested that I find a back up.

OK, y'all might think this is funny, I do :clap:.... So right around May 1 (a little late in the evening, about 7 or 8) I call Sunset and said " I'm with the motorcycle rally, Blah Blah Blah and I need a room for 4 nights starting Thursday." :rider:The man on the other end says "no problem, can I get your # and call you back tomorrow?" ...ok?...sure.? :ponder:So I wait for a phone call.... 2 days go by and I call back, "Hi I called about a room for 4 nights a couple of days ago?" same guy says "Sure Sure, my wife is taking care of these (bookings) and shes at a kids ball game right now, can she call you back after 7? ...."sure.?":wary: So I wait. No calls and I get busy the next 3 or 4 days until it dawns on me, I haven't confirmed my rooms! So I call back.... "Hi I'm the guy thats waiting on a call to book my room?":uhoh: Same guy say's "yes, yes, I told you my wife will call you, she has your #, dont worry." .......ok!?!?:brainsnap (hang up). So I let a week, or more, go by. Called last night....He says, "I told you, you have a room, no problem." "I have a room? I thought you were going to call my back?" "Oh no you have a room, no worry's." :headbang:
So if I show up Thursday night and dont have a room I'm not going to be happy!:pound::biggun:

The risk of arriving after a full day of riding and NOT having a room, is not good.

I had a similar experience I reserved about 6 weeks ago and asked for a confirmation email which never arrived. Called back last week and the lady could not find my reservation... she was supposed to call back. Never did.

I reserved at the Holiday Inn and so others in my group.

I liked the location and rate, but certainly do not trust them for their record keeping, in fact she said the are not 'computerized'... :ponder:

Back