TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #41
Johnf3
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,057
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Am I the only one that finds it the slightest bit funny that folks that own KTM's are bashing the Ducs for being easily broken and expensive to maintain?

When I was at the KTM shop looking around for grins, the sales guys started asking me about my V-Strom. I told him I had just over 100k miles on it, and he asked me how many top ends I've had to put in it. He was shocked and astounded that it was still on the original top end with no major work at all done to the motor.
They are as tough and easy to work on as anything comparable. KTM doesn't have anything like a V Strom (UJM dressed up as some type of Adventure bike) so hard to compare. I notice you comment quite a bit about your perception of KTM and their reliability. Most times, when I see that it is a sign that deep down that person wants one.

Hate to derail the Ducati thread. This Scrambler looks like a fun bike and a relatively cheap way to get on a Duc.
__________________
2013 KTM 450 SX-F
2006 950 Adventure S
2010 Husaberg FX 450--Stolen 7/29/17
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #42
Meriden
 
Meriden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Posts: 5,071
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil gates View Post
Meriden I agree with you, my point was more to the fragile part than the price.

Some bikes are tough, some are not, Ducs fall into the NOT category. IMHO
I'm with ya. I've only owned one Ducati and that was about he time Mike the Bike was riding one at the TT and everything was fragile then. But I have to agree that the design (like several designs of late) may be more focused on hooking the Hipster market than on anything else. I'd like to have one , but I wouldn't ride it up a fire road.
__________________
Meriden

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #43
DFW_Warrior
 
DFW_Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 14,214
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
They are as tough and easy to work on as anything comparable. KTM doesn't have anything like a V Strom (UJM dressed up as some type of Adventure bike) so hard to compare. I notice you comment quite a bit about your perception of KTM and their reliability. Most times, when I see that it is a sign that deep down that person wants one.

Hate to derail the Ducati thread. This Scrambler looks like a fun bike and a relatively cheap way to get on a Duc.
Well, they do have the 1190 and 1290 with the 19" front wheels and that oh so sweet street rubber stuck on them. Other than a few bits here and there, what you are looking at it is just another GSTenereStromCaponardStelvioMultiStrada. There is only one KTM that I would own, and that is the 200XC-W. If someone walked up and gave me one of their big ADV bikes, I'd just sell it.

What I do like is that manufactures like Harley, Ducati, Yamaha, and some others are realizing that not everyone wants or can afford a $15k motorcycle and they are going after the demographic that doesn't want a 300cc motorcycle, but doesn't want to spend a ton of cash. For that, my hat is off to each and every one of them. I'm liking the direction that all of them are going, and while I probably wouldn't buy one for myself, I can see that it is a smart move on their parts.
__________________
Bill ('12 Tenere)('00 KLR)('05 YZ250)

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:01 AM   #44
Nooner
 
Nooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 142
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
I'm with ya. I've only owned one Ducati and that was about he time Mike the Bike was riding one at the TT and everything was fragile then. But I have to agree that the design (like several designs of late) may be more focused on hooking the Hipster market than on anything else. I'd like to have one , but I wouldn't ride it up a fire road.
Tell anyone who owns an Elefant (or e900) that their bike is fragile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Well, they do have the 1190 and 1290 with the 19" front wheels and that oh so sweet street rubber stuck on them. Other than a few bits here and there, what you are looking at it is just another GSTenereStromCaponardStelvioMultiStrada. There is only one KTM that I would own, and that is the 200XC-W. If someone walked up and gave me one of their big ADV bikes, I'd just sell it.

What I do like is that manufactures like Harley, Ducati, Yamaha, and some others are realizing that not everyone wants or can afford a $15k motorcycle and they are going after the demographic that doesn't want a 300cc motorcycle, but doesn't want to spend a ton of cash. For that, my hat is off to each and every one of them. I'm liking the direction that all of them are going, and while I probably wouldn't buy one for myself, I can see that it is a smart move on their parts.
And right now there is a dealer in PA with two 2013 Su per Ten eres for $8998 each (new)
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #45
Meriden
 
Meriden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Posts: 5,071
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
Tell anyone who owns an Elefant (or e900) that their bike is fragile!
Sure thing. Find me a mid '70s Cagiva Elefant.
__________________
Meriden

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #46
MotoTex
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hangin' out at the "bars"
Posts: 1,909
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
How's that V-twin adventure bike of yours? Are you going to sell it?
I need to. The poor thing has been sitting neglected for nearly two years now. It wants to be ridden.

All it needs is for me to clean the carbs and wrap up some electrical loose ends after moving a few goodies from it to the Tiger.
__________________
“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end.”

CURRENT BIKES: '00 Suzuki DRZ400E-Plated; '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '04 KTM 950 Adventure
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #47
phil gates
 
phil gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 175
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post


Guys will ride anything in the desert.
i don't have anything against Harley's, obviously! Yet the weight of that thing and the taller suspension, ugh!

Not sure I would like that, going to lighter bikes. Also the Yamaha scrambler is in the same class IMHO.

I used to ride a Gold Wing...05, I know heavy!

Phil
__________________
Phil.
I don't now why I ride, I just do!
phil gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM   #48
jqueen
 
jqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 3,110
Re: Interesting

Harleys can be made to go well in the dirt:

__________________
Where do I go to update my signature? I don't like the one I have now...

My wife's online store - Lilleaf Cards and Gifts
jqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #49
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 5,284
Re: Interesting

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/15...src=SOC&dom=fb
__________________
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #50
phil gates
 
phil gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 175
Re: Interesting

jqueen you caught me!!
__________________
Phil.
I don't now why I ride, I just do!
phil gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #51
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 5,284
Re: Interesting

Must be winter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1779127_10203673441816595_4271871123815508222_n.jpg (65.7 KB, 76 views)
__________________
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #52
Irishcoffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,088
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
Must be winter
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #53
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 5,284
Re: Interesting

neat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10933836_10153028287879882_889863853030978773_n.jpg (67.7 KB, 58 views)
__________________
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #54
Nooner
 
Nooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin
Posts: 142
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriden View Post
Sure thing. Find me a mid '70s Cagiva Elefant.
The didn't exist in the mid 70's...
Nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:03 PM   #55
Irishcoffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,088
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
neat
I can't imagine you ever being that size!
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #56
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 5,284
Re: Interesting

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=957537487604429

Don't watch while drinking your coffee!
__________________
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #57
fly
 
fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Conroe,Tx
Posts: 610
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=957537487604429

Don't watch while drinking your coffee!
no sweat
__________________
Doug
fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:21 AM   #58
Meriden
 
Meriden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At the back of the pack and out of the dust
Posts: 5,071
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=957537487604429

Don't watch while drinking your coffee!
Now that's funny.
__________________
Meriden

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #59
_RG_
 
_RG_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bryan-sort of-Texas
Posts: 2,181
Re: Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=957537487604429

Don't watch while drinking your coffee!
__________________
We don’t know much about solitude these days, nor do we want to. A crowded world thinks that aloneness is always loneliness, and that to seek it is perversion." - John Graves
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #60
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 5,284
Re: Interesting

Knobs on a Duke??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vp4099711_1a1.jpg (33.3 KB, 41 views)
__________________
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.26022 seconds with 12 queries