• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

REVIEW: MotoGP GP Overpants

NUTT

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
M
Brand: MotoGP

Model: GP Overpants

Price: $99 from NewEnough.com

http://www.newenough.com/moto_gp_overpants_page.htm

front2.jpg

In December, I started a new job that requires me to commute 35 miles each way. Since I didn’t feel like racking up the miles in my car, I decided to get a newer bike and be a motorcycle commuter.

One long ride on a cold day was all it took to convince me I needed some pretty serious cold weather gear.

Fit:

I usually wear a size 34 or 36 waist, 34 inseam pants depending on the brand and style. After talking to the folks at New Enough, I bought these in size 38. These are a little big in the waist but seem to fit fine in the legs and the length is pretty good. I think it is important to call the people at New Enough before you buy something if you can’t try it on beforehand. They lady I talked to told me about what other people have returned and their reasons. I don’t think the smaller size would have been too short and too tight in the legs.

Features:

Full-length zippers on each leg with a Velcro flap covering them. They have a removable liner that Velcro’s into the pants easily in about 3 minutes time. The liners can be taken out within 30 seconds. There is some reflective piping around the knee and some larger strips on the outside of the ankle. There is a Velcro cuff at the ankle and Velcro adjustments in the waist. The pants have a full circumference zipper that I can’t use with my Firstgear and Cortech jackets. I’m thinking of having a 10” zipper sewn in as well as some additional Velcro in the waist so I can cinch the sides down a little tighter.

Real World Use:

I would recommend these pants and would buy them again if lost or stolen. I’ve logged close to 500 miles in them and they are working great so far. I expect to get use out of these for years to come.

These seem to be very well put together. I can’t find a single busted seam or pulled thread anywhere.

The liners can only be used if it is below about 45 degrees and I was toasty when using them down to about 34 degrees F. I haven’t ridden in colder weather than that, but I’m certain the pants with liners are good down to at least 20 degrees F.

I am comfortable wearing the pants without the liners from 45 degrees up to about 75 degrees F. In temperatures above 75 and I’m a little too warm.

I have ridden in light rain and the pants keep me dry. I haven’t tested them in serious rain, but I’d expect they will do the job well. They seem to wick away road grime too.

The pockets in the front are hard to use. The zippers are covered under a waterproof flap making it a real chore to get into them. I’ll stick to my jacket pockets and tank bag for storing stuff.

NUTT said:
I usually wear a size 34 or 36 waist, 34 inseam pants depending on the brand and style. After talking to the folks at New Enough, I bought these in size 38. These are a little big in the waist but seem to fit fine in the legs and the length is pretty good.

Ive found this sizing issue to be true with my Firstgear overpants as well....I'd wear the same size as yourself.

Thanks for the great report, I may look into a new pair of these. :)

Faylaricia said:
How do you rate the protection in case of a crash?

Better than running shorts :sun:

The material is of good quality and the zippers are stout and well protected by the velcro flaps that run the entire length. The knee and hip armor seems to be inexpensive foam padding. I'd imagine they would do a decent job in a get-off.

Texian said:
Ive found this sizing issue to be true with my Firstgear overpants as well....I'd wear the same size as yourself.

Thanks for the great report, I may look into a new pair of these. :)

You can feel free to try mine on. I'm probably going to get a pair of the FirstGear HT Air Overpants when it warms up a bit. I'd be interested in trying a pair on before I order if you want to meet up some time.

If we meet up sometime, definitely. My FirstGear's are the normal ones...not the Air's...but the sizing should be similar.
I've ridden them on numerous street trips, and Dualsporting as well..they've held up nicley :)

Back