TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Offroad Riders > After The Dust Settles And The Mud Dries

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #41
sanderjavant

Re: Cloudcroft 14 - UFO's & Area 51

You guys are really getting me fired up for my next trip to Cloudcroft, 2 weeks and counting....
sanderjavant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #42
Jbay

thanks for Brad putting this together, and RG for carrying me as a stow away and John for the hospitality and showing us some new trails

now where is Brad's report?

http://www.actsmissions.org/

TRIUMPH TIGER 955i
RadRover Electric Fat Tire Power Bikes (his & hers)
Jbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #43
LucyD

Great report RG!! Had a great time...ready for the next riding adventure.

Yes, I did have a few choice words after the rock climb that seemed to never end. Oops.

I have some pics I need to post as well...we hit the ground running when we got home. Work and working on the house.

Again, great group!

2013 KTM 250 XCF-W
LucyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #44
_RG_

Next morning was one of those tentative days when plans have to get really flexible. Two of the crew had planned to head home, three of the CC group had civic duty with their community organization and my tailbone was getting perilously sore. However...we still hadn't explored the southeastern area from camp down to Weed nor had a green chili burger at the cafe and there was also the issue of a 75 mile loop that needed some attention. So, saddle up and let's ride!

Just the four Bluff Spring hombres and a shaky gps track through some lesser known trails - and some not so much trails.

Some of the trails were standard fare and lots of fun. Some were pretty good trails right up to the sign saying "Don't even think about going through this gate." Luckily, there was always a way around these that kept the ride going and the locals tolerant.

Many of the trails appeared to be rarely used and no longer maintained. They made for some great riding though.

We found a trail called the Scott Able trail that started across a dry river bed and went up onto a mountain rim trail. It starts out a little technical and is obviously not used very much - but with some spectacular views for the few who make the climb. As mentioned before, this picture just doesn't begin to show the actual view. The trail looped around the mountain - once upon a time - but at the far point there were unending trees down across the path and steep climbs both above and below. It would take a lot of work - and time - to get past this stuff. I rode far as possible, walked it a ways to see if we could deal with it - things just got progressively worse as I went. Turn around!

One of the really cool things about Cloudcroft is its abundance of great trails. If you get stopped on one trail - it's not going to be far nor difficult to hook up with another one. We did this several times on this ride and it never disappointed.

This is where stuff gets Jess Right.

This was one of those trails that is splendidly beautiful and fun beyond measure but just hasn't seen much maintenance. Not griping - mind you. This is the real stuff that makes it all worthwhile. Tech51 making it look way too easy.

I had a blast that day. Tech51 was measuring his gas in teaspoons, the sun was sinking toward the west and we were out in the woods riding motorcycles through and over whatever nature put in front of us. Outstanding! :

Here's a repeat but I think this picture pretty well sums it up...

Well, we didn't finish the loop...lots more good stuff left for the next trip. Day was getting late and gas was becoming an issue so it was time to slab it back to camp. Lulu7404 lead the way back and we rolled into camp just as the sun was setting. Tired, dirty, sore and thoroughly wired.

I can't overstate the pleasure of riding with this crew. Our friends in CC - Johnf3, Conner and Joel made our time there seem like we were part of the community rather than just visitors. The crew held their own in every situation and worked together to make it through some challenging stuff. I hope they had time to get some pictures to post up and add to this tale as they lived it. Next time...
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
Johnf3

RG,
If you guys took Scott Able and then took a left up the mountain through the burn area, then you were going to an area known as Rodger's Ruins. Did you ever make it to Weed Saturday?

After our water meeting Saturday, Joel, Connor, and myself took off back down the rim trail, then down the switchbacks to West Side Rd, then over to Heart Attack. The conditions up Heart Attack were good from the rain the day before and we roosted up in no time. From there we rode around to Sunspot, took Sacramento Canyon down to the Timberon Highway, then Corral Canyon back up to 64. We then backtracked to the trailhead for Willie White looking for ya'll at your camp. Ya'll were off in search of Weed , so we took the long way around and meandered up Benson Canyon to Benson Ridge Rd. From there, back down Lucas Canyon and the forest Rd back to the Homestead. I think it was a little over 50 miles, may have been more. It was a nice, easy ride except for the crazy dust on Willie White and Benson Canyon.

We will see everyone next time. We sure enjoyed sharing the trail with everyone this trip.
Johnf3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #46
TECH51

John what's the weather like in late September / early October ?

13 300xc
09 400xc-w
Looking at a 16 350xc-f
TECH51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #47
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH51 View Post
John what's the weather like in late September / early October ?

Should be good. Much past that and it can be dicey once it starts to snow. It will be quite a bit colder in the mornings by that time, but the afternoon rain showers that are common during the last half of the summer are usually gone. If you go toward the latter part of Sept. the Aspens will have turned and it makes the views even better.

That time of year also makes the trails west of West Side Rd. more pleasant and if it does rain in the desert during that time, I would be heading down to Red Sands south of Alamogordo for at least one day of riding. When that place is wet it is about as much fun as you can have, if you like desert riding.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #48
TECH51

Date set for Oct 2nd to the 5th

13 300xc
09 400xc-w
Looking at a 16 350xc-f
Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #49
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post

Yep, this is a fun trail. I wouldn't try it alone since it takes several folks to help pick me and the 530 up off the ground along the way.

This is the TH on Westside rd. - where we came out. We rode from east to west. It's not a long trail but it takes a while to get from one end to the other. Number 64 is my friend Joel. He and Johnf3 were leading the ride. They know these trails - well - like they were in their own back yard...cause they are.

Monsoon came early - with ice. We stayed just to the edge of it until it passed.

This is the same TH a little later after the rain. That wonderful dirt I so enjoyed earlier turned into slick red goo.

I've never seen mud like that. Crazy. I'll have to check that trail with JT someday.
'74 BMW R60 (For Sale: $4500)
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #50
_RG_

That sounds about right...we went through the burn area down to Weed. Had lunch and then the rains came. We stayed there at the cafe till it quit and then headed out into the wild. Ended the loop with 1000 mile trail that was fun stuff. It was getting pretty late (and Tech51 was burning fumes) so we beat it back to camp. Great day of trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
RG,
If you guys took Scott Able and then took a left up the mountain through the burn area, then you were going to an area known as Rodger's Ruins. Did you ever make it to Weed Saturday?

We will see everyone next time. We sure enjoyed sharing the trail with everyone this trip.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #51
TECH51

RG do you have the GPS tracks from the last day ? Need them for Oct

13 300xc
09 400xc-w
Looking at a 16 350xc-f
Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #52
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH51 View Post
RG do you have the GPS tracks from the last day ? Need them for Oct
I'll hook up the gps and pull it off. Get back to you after it's been washed and dried.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #53
TECH51

Brad any reports/pics of the trip?

13 300xc
09 400xc-w
Looking at a 16 350xc-f
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #54
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Had a great time revisiting your trip. Thanks for posting.
Planning on going in August with a group of virgins
Old 07-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #55
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Had a great time revisiting your trip. Thanks for posting.
Planning on going in August with a group of virgins
That thread brings back memories. My son that is in some of those pics is now living and working in China. During that trip, he hit it off great with RG and spent a lot of time talking to him. I miss having him as a riding buddy.

Vinny, if you are up there in August on a weekend, holler. I will try and get up there and ride with y'all. I know my way around.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #56
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
That thread brings back memories. My son that is in some of those pics is now living and working in China. During that trip, he hit it off great with RG and spent a lot of time talking to him. I miss having him as a riding buddy.

Vinny, if you are up there in August on a weekend, holler. I will try and get up there and ride with y'all. I know my way around.
I contacted RG also. Maybe he'll have the time.
I'll definitely will contact you. I've been there 3 times riding but it's too far apart to remember anything.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #57
Ratelbadger

Great photos! Makes me miss living in Cloudcroft and Alamogordo.
Ratelbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #58
Dao

Vinny what weekend in Aug were you thinking of going up there?

I could meet you up there if it's not the 1st weekend.
Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #59
ekms377

Nice!

1997 TL1000S
2017 250XCF
2017 350XCF

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #60
Vinny