• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fj 1200 comments and views

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
I am looking at a fj 1200, how about some comments from owners or former owners.

Never owned one but put some good miles on one that belonged to a friend as he enjoyed trading off and riding my big bore CB1100F

I really enjoyed the bike and it was the bike I was on my way to purchase in 2000 when I spied my first ZRX when I got to the dealership

Shoot a PM to "The Big Spank Daddy" here on TWT. I am pretty sure he's had at least one of them, if not more.

Only bike I really ever regret selling. Fast, comfortable & doggone reliable, the only issue is really heat from the engine during the summer months. I never had a problem with the bike overheating, just my legs!

Darn good looking machine too. I traded it for a Ducati which was fast, uncomfortable & unreliable.

I had this one -

Yamaha%20FJ1200%2086%20%205.jpg

I've a couple of these through the years and if you're looking for 1980's sport-touring you could hardly do better.
They had a unique perimeter frame that actually wrapped around the forks.
The design left the 36mm CV carbs fully exposed for access and jetting and the valve cover unobstructed for valve adjustments(one plus with Yamaha is their extended valve adj. intervals)
The bike was heavy at 550 lbs but all the 4 cylinders back then were.
It was a gentlemans express with the typical Yamaha stock center stand.
Heavy slow steering at slow speeds but came into its own @ speed and hi speed sweepers.
Rock solid stable with zero head shake.
I think it was the best looking sport touring bike of its time with around 100 HP and a bullet proof motor.

Last edited:
I've owned 2 different FJ1200's. My first was a really clean, all original and it was a great bike. Gobs of torque and used to routinely outrun my buddy on his V-Max.

My second was a salvage/rebuilt bike that was good but was set up for a guy much bigger than me (stiff suspension) and had a really stiff clutch. I had a few little issues that resulted in me not trusting it much.

I now have a 1250 Bandit and it seems pretty similar to the FJ1200's except a little lighter and smoother maybe. If you offered to trade me a really clean FJ1200 for my Bandit I think I would keep the Bandit.

Back