• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Davy Crockett National Forest

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Can any of you Houston peeps school me on the riding & camping opportunities here? Yes, I can go to their website but it doesn't tell me if it's any good or not!

Part of the ET500 goes through Crockett. As I recall it was pretty scenic. If there were any multi use trails our route didn't use them. The roads were something that the average dirt rider could pull off on a Strom. I would guess the 300 would be bored on the sections we were riding.

Part of the ET500 goes through Crockett. As I recall it was pretty scenic. If there were any multi use trails our route didn't use them. The roads were something that the average dirt rider could pull off on a Strom. I would guess the 300 would be bored on the sections we were riding.

The county roads are almost all dirt. If it's super dry, there will be some deep sandy stretches that can be a struggle, especially on a bigger bike. If it's wet, the slick red clay spots can be a handful even on a 250. But usually it's somewhere in the middle. And only a few county roads have deep sand that goes on for miles; usually, it's just short sections until it plays out.

Great camping and riding out of Ratcliff Lake. It's near Kennnard Tx. Forest Service roads, great larger for motorcycles. Mission Tejas State park and Caddo Mounds.
Real nice area to ride.

Back