• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

Both threads have generated tons of good, insightful comments. I started both threads on request. And I've sure learned a lot from others by following the postings.

last couple of day rides where we stopped to cook on a picnic bench the wind was blowing. I have a little wind break for the cook stove but even our plates, paper and other stuff had to be nailed down.

I was wondering about using one of those free harbor freight tarps to protect the bench area. These had a concrete pad and an awning over them just like a state park campsite. Has anyone a work around for this wind that seems to be particularly bad at this time of the year?

If you tie to the bench then you can't sit. If you tie to the outside it is too far away. I really like those portable awnings where you can add side panels but its way too much stuff for a quick meal on the road even in a truck.

last couple of day rides where we stopped to cook on a picnic bench the wind was blowing. I have a little wind break for the cook stove but even our plates, paper and other stuff had to be nailed down.

I was wondering about using one of those free harbor freight tarps to protect the bench area. These had a concrete pad and an awning over them just like a state park campsite. Has anyone a work around for this wind that seems to be particularly bad at this time of the year?

If you tie to the bench then you can't sit. If you tie to the outside it is too far away. I really like those portable awnings where you can add side panels but its way too much stuff for a quick meal on the road even in a truck.

I usually end up sitting on the ground with my back to the wind, eating in my lap, with a stove between my knees. Maybe leaning on a tree if possible. I have tied tarps to trees, my bike, the corner of a table, or picnic table cover, anything I thought would keep some wind out. I hate the wind. When possible, I tie at an angle to deflect the wind up and hopefully keeping the tarp from tearing loose and grommet-whipping me in the face. I got a REI garage sale Marmot tent footprint, maybe 8X8 for $5.00. Much less annoying flapping in the wind than a blue tarp.

Last edited:

Think this idea is probably best bet for space saving, ease and quickness of putting something up. Couple with the Harbor Freight bungee cords or tie-downs and maybe place two tarps perpendicular around poles of picnic awning if wind is excessive. I do not think much better solution when using paper plates and light materials that will blow and move no matter what. Heck, get the free tarp when buying the bungee cords/tie-downs!

I was looking at those portable stoves and windscreens made out of aluminum like many use on the alcohol stoves since they are so easy to blow out. What I found is that a burner over a propane or butane can is not designed to work with a wind screen and that it could overheat the top of the can and become dangerous. This was not something I had considered.

The little burners that screw on are so freaking hot that they can boil a GSI cup of water in 4 minutes or less. It's best to leave that windscreen for the aluminum can stove at home.

Safety First!

Think this idea is probably best bet for space saving, ease and quickness of putting something up. Couple with the Harbor Freight bungee cords or tie-downs and maybe place two tarps perpendicular around poles of picnic awning if wind is excessive. I do not think much better solution when using paper plates and light materials that will blow and move no matter what. Heck, get the free tarp when buying the bungee cords/tie-downs!

That is what I have been thinking. I can see the bungee to the rafters and maybe a stake to the ground. Most of these parks have a concrete pad so the tarps can be a bit of a distance. Another thought was to give up one side of the bench and tie the tarp to the bench.

Wanting to set it up in an instant is critical. And I have been practicing knots for tarps.

I live so close to a HF that I pick up a free tarp every time they coupon it. Two of them are unopened and in the pickup bed, another in the CT90 basket. One is covering the mower but set up in "lean to" tarp fashion and the free tarp has held up since November. Only the paracord stretching has been a small problem.

I was trolling Walmart (I30 Garland) today at lunch for grape vines and wandered into the camping section where some things were on clearance. Found a Sterno stove for $4 and plan to use it with either Sterno, alcohol stoves or Buddy burners made of cardboard,wax and a tuna can.

Also found a folding handle skillet for $5 on clearance. Doubt I will take it on many MC camping trips but I needed to replace my scratched one.

$4

4437133246_0f686aa58f_z.jpg

$5

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-Round-Frying-Pan/49332895

I was trolling Walmart (I30 Garland) today at lunch for grape vines and wandered into the camping section where some things were on clearance. Found a Sterno stove for $4 and plan to use it with either Sterno, alcohol stoves or Buddy burners made of cardboard,wax and a tuna can.

Also found a folding handle skillet for $5 on clearance. Doubt I will take it on many MC camping trips but I needed to replace my scratched one.

$4

4437133246_0f686aa58f_z.jpg

$5

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-9-Round-Frying-Pan/49332895

I pick up one of the Sterno stoves and used it with my home made alcohol burner works good in the wind to keep flame going but just have to have a shield for the pot if the winds blowing hard

Aaron

Then, for $10 he could pick up two, flip one upside down on top of the other, and have a shield for the burner and one for the pot. WIN!

They are pretty versitile and fold to a manageable space.

Some, not me, use them for hobo stoves and just use sticks to make a fire. I just don't want to wait on coals burning out but its nice to know you have a nice flat surface to cook on.

I pick up one of the Sterno stoves and used it with my home made alcohol burner works good in the wind to keep flame going but just have to have a shield for the pot if the winds blowing hard

Aaron

I have tried these with sterno on several occasions and just don't get hot enough. Last year at about 5,000 ft, about 7:30am, no wind, just could not get water to boil after about 20 min, maybe longer? I let it keep trying while breaking camp. Anyway, this meant while my coffee bag worked OK, my freeze dried breakfast did not. Chunked it and will use my single burner Coleman again.

Hope you have better luck.

Last edited:
What's the single-burner Coleman, Tom? Is it the backpacker-sized burner that screws on top of a propane lantern canister?

I have tried these with sterno on several occasions and just don't get hot enough. Last year at about 5,000 ft, about 7:30am, no wind, just could not get water to boil after about 20 min, maybe longer? I let it keep trying while breaking camp. Anyway, this meant while my coffee bag worked OK, my freeze dried breakfast did not. Chunked it and will use my single burner Coleman again.

Hope you have better luck.

Since I picked the folding stove I already tested it with a wax buddy burner and fried scrambled eggs. Worked great but too much soot. Will try same with Sterno next week. Experience with my other Sterno kit was that it heated up brats great and a can of beans pretty quick. Not trying to make coffee but have done hot tea in 8 minutes instead of 3 or 4 on propane.

i-NBWvbZB-M.jpg

A buddy and his daughter (who rides), and I, are moto camping Thursday at Pedernales Falls SP, west of Austin.

I'll be getting there mid day and hiking the trails. May run into town for dinner. Leaving Friday morning.

Anybody who wants to throw in on this for moto camping experience is welcome. We're avoiding the more crowded weekend days.

There were a ton of water/electric sites available when I made reservations this afternoon.

not cheap for me!

My toy hauler was broken into for the 2nd time in 5 months. This time they broke the side door with a pry bar.

Available now at Aldi for only $1.69. Compact, lightweight and easy open cans. Maybe not the healthiest but very tasty and filling. The one pictured tastes excellent for me. Also tomato and curry pineapple varieties but haven't tried either yet.

20170307_095112_zpscxscdnxq.jpg

20170307_095050_zpsw2femq5d.jpg

_

They just opened an Aldi a mile from me. I've been meaning to get over & check out their stock.

i-NBWvbZB-M.jpg

A buddy and his daughter (who rides), and I, are moto camping Thursday at Pedernales Falls SP, west of Austin.

I'll be getting there mid day and hiking the trails. May run into town for dinner. Leaving Friday morning.

Anybody who wants to throw in on this for moto camping experience is welcome. We're avoiding the more crowded weekend days.

There were a ton of water/electric sites available when I made reservations this afternoon.

If you are into mountain biking..... they have a gnarly 10 mile mt bike trail out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i-zKsKD6C-M.jpg

For 95 bucks, I scored this "4" man, 3 season tent.

Plenty of room for moto gear and stuff off the bike, and to move around a bit.

More and more parks and state natural areas are poo pooing hammock camping, so I armed myself with a tent.

Great reviews on Amazon and YouTube abound on this tent, and its about as cheap as a hotel room for 1 night (but not a hotel room in Miquihuana, Mexico - $7 :zen:)

Tried it out yet? Any reports?

Yes - took it to Pedernales Falls SP and set it up. Perfect size for moto camping for one person because the extra space used is for moto gear and odds/ends.

Note that the price point means you're not getting extra heavy zippers but for the occasional camper, this is a great tent.

I pack the 2 poles separate from the fabric and toss it in the Ortlieb dry bag and away we go. :rider:

Another good cheap find. Eady open and no cooking needed pouch. The Yellow Curry flavor is good, Sante Fe is very good. Tried the Terriyaki and didn"t care for it as too sweet. Marinara didn't even try. Only 80 cents a pouch at 99 Cent Only Store.

Sorry about the photo. Product of Thailand not Austrailia. Lol

73d8681bdd27927fe94801524721f687.jpg

Last edited:
Back