• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Found - [WTB]: a cheap R1200GS !

Reaction score
Hi guys.

WTB a CHEAP 1200GS as my first trial of an oilhead boxer.

It could be an old GS or even with cosmetic damaged, wrecked... or else... I don't mind working with kinds of fixing plastics, leather, outside mechanics, repaint... Prefer the bike ODO less than 60K miles. With title, no mater clean or salvage.
The engine, drive-shaft and the electronics are still good, bike still running well.
(If the bike is unable to start, pls let me know what exactly the problems and how much estimated cost should be to fix it)
As near Westminster, CA as possible to save some money from shipping.
Consider all bikes asking less than $5.5K shipped to CA.

If you have one, pls send detail photos, descriptions and asking price to me.
I can be reached here on this post, or PM, or email me (viethorse1 [at] gmail [dot] com).
I can also call you back for a quick discussion. Don't worry, my English is understandable .

Thank you!

Re: [WTB]: a cheap R1200GS !

Santa seems still out of town... :D

Consider a R1150GS as well.
Thanks.

You might find an 1100 or 1150 RS or RT in that $5.5K range shipped somewhere. Any R1200GS will not be in riding order or the owner will not know what it is worth, which is unlikely. Buying a bike that needs repair is only inexpensive if you have a cheap parts source, like another wrecked bike to supply parts.

Personally, if I had $4K and didn't have an RT in the garage I'd consider this bike:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79785

There is a lot of overlap in the capabilities of these motorcycles and it takes a special type of trip to demand the unique features of a GS. Beyond the GS price premium they are also a few inches taller than the RT/RS (depending on which models are being compared.)

You might find an 1100 or 1150 RS or RT in that $5.5K range shipped somewhere. Any R1200GS will not be in riding order or the owner will not know what it is worth, which is unlikely. Buying a bike that needs repair is only inexpensive if you have a cheap parts source, like another wrecked bike to supply parts.

Personally, if I had $4K and didn't have an RT in the garage I'd consider this bike:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79785

There is a lot of overlap in the capabilities of these motorcycles and it takes a special type of trip to demand the unique features of a GS. Beyond the GS price premium they are also a few inches taller than the RT/RS (depending on which models are being compared.)

I agree. I'm still considering it and I have an '02 RS in the garage. Have owned an 1150GS and while they are great bikes I concur with the hi-lited statement above. That 1100RS is a beauty and get's you into the "R" motor you are interested in. Cheap 1200GS, funny! As mentioned, if you don't have a place to get discounted parts and plastic, rebuilding a Beemer with OEM parts will be stupid expensive. When I got tagged on my RS, one of the tupperware side pieces was $1500.00.... at least I only had to wait 9 weeks to get it.

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions.
Y'all right that not easy to find a GS within my given price range.
However, up to this moment, that is how much I could go. Because I like the 1200GS, so I dont want to buy the other bike, then may be found a GS afterward. Or worst case, I have to let my VFR goes for first trial of GS.
Pschuyler, pls send me some info about the bike and asking price. Thanks.

I didn't originally want to jump into this thread but...not trying to sound negative, $5.5K shipped to CA means you're looking for a GS for around $4,700. I like perusing the for-sale ads but have never that bike go for anywhere close to this.

I didn't originally want to jump into this thread but...not trying to sound negative, $5.5K shipped to CA means you're looking for a GS for around $4,700. I like perusing the for-sale ads but have never that bike go for anywhere close to this.
I am very open for any ideas, suggestion, offers or comments.
I know that my price range sounds crazy, but it's not impossible, especially for some bikes which has been crashed, damaged or else.
I have followed up some of 1200GS within my range and believe there are a lot of them out there.
Just send me some detail info of your bikes, who knows, somethings interesting comes up from something looks crazy... :zen: :rider:

Now looking for used 1200GS handguards and right valve cover.
Thanks.

In the truck,... on the way.... to ME....

120.jpg

Your wait was as long as mine!
Congratulations.

Thank you guys.
Yes, it's a salvage build. Plus some $$ for shipping almost 1000miles to CA then it's slily more than 5K a bit.
The hard saddle bags and windscreen were removed and shipped to me separately so you are not seeing them in the pic.

Back