• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Super Tenere vs. DRZ400 for South America

Bought a 2015 DRZ400S off my dad's neighbor last night. While I appreciate all the advice regarding the DR650, I was able to get the DRZ almost new with 1800 miles for $4000.00. The PO bought it to commute, got caught in a couple rain storms and wasn't comfortable dealing with city traffic. It has mostly sat in the garage the last year or so. It's completely stock. I prefer this as I would rather do all the mods and know exactly what has been done to the bike.

I am researching the Loctite, stator and lubrication mods now. Since, I'm one of those worthless state employees the legislature doesn't want to give raises to, I will wait to the first of the month to start ordering parts and accessories!

Going to have the suspension work done professionally (any recommendations are appreciated. Also going to install a larger gas tank, better lights front and rear, panniers racks for soft bags, radiator braces, larger foot pegs, skid plate, better seat, rear rack, maybe oversize handlebars and risers as well as whatever protection accessories make sense.

Great find Patrick. Sounds like you found exactly what you were looking for.

Erik, I remember the couple on DR's that you rescued somewhere way south of you and put them up for 2 months until you could get the parts for a rebuild. I remember you had a heck of a time sourcing a crank, even a new one from Suzuki for the rebuild. Have cranks and other lower end parts become more accessible from Suzuki since then?

At the time the DR650 crank was on national back order, and the left side (that we needed) was not available at all.
The crank assembly shows as available today, but it did then as well, right until I called to order it, so who knows.
The good in that case was it was not a part failure in of itself... It was a part failure due to a mistake in installing the flywheel. Had that not happened, it likely would have motored on for many miles.
The good used crank I sourced from Oregon and installed is still in use today

EC - I would recommend Roger Albert with OnRoad/OffRoad Cycles in Oak Hill, 512-636-0960 for suspension work. He has worked on 3 of my previous bikes. I was very pleased. After Erik Marquez finishes his magic on my '13 DR-Z400S, it is going to Roger for Race Tech upgrades. Good luck.
Mark Johnson

...My question is, does this make sense as it relates to parts and servicing? I'm assuming the DRZ would be easier to maintain on a long trip like that compared to the Super Tenere...

For the only question you asked: the Tenere would be far easier and cheaper to maintain than the DRZ.

But as others have stated here for various reasons, the DRZ would probably be the better choice.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

After Erik Marquez finishes his magic on my '13 DR-Z400S
Dude its Sat 11:33 at night... I'll get to it, I'll get to it.....:-D
:rofl:
Its together, just need to slide it back in frame and starter er up.......

Back