• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to go...

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Jensen
I have the 4 days before Christmas to go someplace, but unsure where to go...

I want go back to big bend, but the 9 hours each way has me a little tepid on the prospect.

South is always seems to be better this time of year.

Looking for destination suggestions within 6 or so hour ride from Denton, or a 4 day loop...

Thanks!!!

May be too far this time for you. We just got back from Goose Island State Park at Rockport. What a great place with all kinds of camping. Reserve on-line. We will be going back. Each site has a fire pit, some water and some electric. Lots of clean showers and restrooms and not far from Port A and Rockport and Corpus and South Padre. RV was a reasonable 18 dollars per night. Tent will be less. It was my first time to see Big Oak. WOW! Beautiful bay views from park not to mention Rockport food Boiling Pot and Charlotte Plummers is so good. Both in Rockport. I saw a neat motel called Bayside Cottages with a pier in Rockport, for the non camper. Lots to do and camp sites not too close together Hwy. 77 almost all the way. Saw several tent campers. We are headed back with RV in January.

Attachments

• Big oak.jpg
    Big oak.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 174
  • sea food.jpg
    sea food.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Port A.jpg
    Port A.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Big oak 2.jpg
    Big oak 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
May be too far this time for you. We just got back from Goose Island State Park at Rockport. What a great place with all kinds of camping. Reserve on-line. We will be going back. Each site has a fire pit, some water and some electric. Lots of clean showers and restrooms and not far from Port A and Rockport and Corpus and South Padre. RV was a reasonable 18 dollars per night. Tent will be less. It was my first time to see Big Oak. WOW! Beautiful bay views from park not to mention Rockport food Boiling Pot and Charlotte Plummers is so good. Both in Rockport. I saw a neat motel called Bayside Cottages with a pier in Rockport, for the non camper. Lots to do and camp sites not too close together Hwy. 77 almost all the way. Saw several tent campers. We are headed back with RV in January.

THANKS! I was thinking coast. I will check it out. Seems like 6 1/2 hours. And, I can go from there to Galveston...

Last edited:
Colorado Bend State Park is beautiful. We went there in October during week and was not crowded. The weather was beautiful on the coast last week.
Malaquite Beach camp site at South Padre National seashore was 14 dollars a night (no electric, but water and rest rooms/ showers.. Walk short distance to the Ocean from your camp. First come first serve (self sign up on bulletin board, but had plenty sites were left. This is all pavement to it because it ends just a little further, then sand.. God, South Padre with its dunes and surf and bay are beautiful.
We did not stay there but spent a day. but will soon. One guy was camping off Harley.

Attachments

• South Padre.jpg
    South Padre.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 182
Colorado Bend State Park is beautiful. We went there in October during week and was not crowded. The weather was beautiful on the coast last week.
Malaquite Beach camp site at South Padre National seashore was 14 dollars a night (no electric, but water and rest rooms/ showers.. Walk short distance to the Ocean from your camp. First come first serve (self sign up on bulletin board, but had plenty sites were left. This is all pavement to it because it ends just a little further, then sand.. God, South Padre with its dunes and surf and bay are beautiful.
We did not stay there but spent a day. but will soon. One guy was camping off Harley.

I like CBSP. Padre may be a little stretch, though.

I like CBSP. Padre may be a little stretch, though.

Yea, South Padre is about as far away from Denton as Big Bend. You may want to choose two or three destinations, then make your choice based on the weather the day you leave. One New Years, a buddy and I drove from Ft Worth to New Waverly with an icy front over us the whole way. If we had been paying attention to the weather we would have headed north out of the weather to the Wichita Mountains near Lawton, Oklahoma.

We just got back from Goose Island State Park at Rockport.

It was my first time to see Big Oak.

Beautiful bay views from park not to mention Rockport food Boiling Pot and Charlotte Plummers is so good.

My brother's family and ours are taking our RVs there in 3 weeks to hit all of the above. And to trying and spot some Whooping Cranes again.

My family has been going down there off and on since 1967. I've got a soft spot for the place and seem to find my way back there periodically.

Yeah...sometimes no planned direction is the best direction.
I remember pulling up to the end of my driveway on one vacation in particular....
Literally looked both directions down the highway...& made a choice then (it was long before cell phones & weather apps)

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Yeah...sometimes no planned direction is the best direction.
I remember pulling up to the end of my driveway on one vacation in particular....
Literally looked both directions down the highway...& made a choice then (it was long before cell phones & weather apps)

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Sort of like the last scene from Castaway

If you can't decide on a specific destination try figuring out a giant 4 day loop. Maybe head south to the Hill Country, then east past Houston and then north along the Texas/Louisiana border before heading back towards Denton.

What do you like riding? Street? Dirt? Technical or Easy? Fast? Scenic? Mix of all of it? Camping or Hotel? Will you be solo or is someone with you?

I usually try and decide what type of riding I want to do and then head the place that works best for that in that season. For example, in Winter, maybe you do that dirt area that is simply too hot to do in the middle of summer such as Big Bend. But....obviously you may not want to get too remote and away from help if you are solo.

Anyway....tons of options out there that could be fun once you decide what type of riding you want to do.

What do you like riding? Street? Dirt? Technical or Easy? Fast? Scenic? Mix of all of it? Camping or Hotel? Will you be solo or is someone with you?

I usually try and decide what type of riding I want to do and then head the place that works best for that in that season. For example, in Winter, maybe you do that dirt area that is simply too hot to do in the middle of summer such as Big Bend. But....obviously you may not want to get too remote and away from help if you are solo.

Anyway....tons of options out there that could be fun once you decide what type of riding you want to do.

Mostly paved, some back roads (gravel & dirt), scenic is always nice. I have been offered a place with a family friend to home base out of near the Talimena scenic parkway. Nice paved, plus an abundance of fire roads. So, with the options available, I will see what why the weather pushes me.

Mostly paved, some back roads (gravel & dirt), scenic is always nice. I have been offered a place with a family friend to home base out of near the Talimena scenic parkway. Nice paved, plus an abundance of fire roads. So, with the options available, I will see what why the weather pushes me.

That's a really nice area.

My home in Arlington is in the same general area of Texas as you and if I want good paved roads, I almost always head to Arkansas. The Mena area has some good riding and especially if you add in the fire roads around Wolf Pen Gap, you can have a lot of fun.

For more road than dirt, I've found the best roads are North of I40. If you do a 4 day trip, consider Morrilton, Russellville and / or Harrision as places to spend a night. I'd avoid Highway 7 and 65 as they get a lot of car traffic as they are the only North / South routes through that section of the state. Other than those roads, you almost can't pick a bad road. They are all excellent up there.

Having said that....it's December....and the weather will determine the best ride more than anything. Sunny, dry and at least 50 in the day and I'd still go to Arkansas, if not....I'd probably head to the Tx Hill Country assuming it was forecasted to be nicer / warmer.

Regardless....it's 4 days of enjoying the ride. Have fun where ever you go.

Last edited:
Back