• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stubborn ST1100

Any good news on the ailing ST?

I haven't had the chance to mess with it since Sunday. I haven't decided if I'm gonna try to pull the carbs myself or take it to somebody. I've literally never taken a bike to a mechanic before, so I'm sort of lost there. I don't know where to go or have any clue how much it would end up costing me.

Dive in. It's not all that different than doing carbs on four singles. The only trick is synching the carbs, and that requires a $250 set of gauges, but you can actually make a set at home for about $20. It will probably take an hour or two the first time, but after that it's a 15 minute job since the bike is already in pieces and the carbs are fresh. Then you'll be the ST carb guru and for years to come your $20 investment will be repaid many times over in pie slices and sub sandwiches.

You might want to look at a picture first!
That bundle of snakes looks a lot more difficult than four singles.

One connection at a time. Eventually it will get done. How do you think we got through the old V8 outboards with 8 carbs?

One connection at a time. Eventually it will get done. How do you think we got through the old V8 outboards with 8 carbs?
We ran them out of gas and fogged the cylinders at the end of the season. Smart guys then filled the carb bowls with light oil.

Dive in. It's not all that different than doing carbs on four singles. The only trick is synching the carbs, and that requires a $250 set of gauges, but you can actually make a set at home for about $20. It will probably take an hour or two the first time, but after that it's a 15 minute job since the bike is already in pieces and the carbs are fresh. Then you'll be the ST carb guru and for years to come your $20 investment will be repaid many times over in pie slices and sub sandwiches.

The only problem with that is that even a single carb intimidates me. Them and electrical systems are the two things I just don't understand. I did dismantle and clean the carbs in my last bike, a V65 Magna. They were much easier to remove than these, though.

I used to sketch complex systems, and label both sides of every disconnect, so reassembly was a simple matter of insert tab A into slot A, with the A-B-Cs and 1-2-3s in sequences. I went through many roles of masking tape and many Sharpies. These days a digital camera is so much eaiser than sketching, and there are numbered dots available in pairs. Peel and stick. Couldn't be any easier. Well, easier than a Barbie Dream House at 12/25 03:00, anyway.

I finally decided to take some action in this thing. I dropped it off today. Hopefully I'll be on the road in a couple of weeks.

I finally decided to take some action in this thing. I dropped it off today. Hopefully I'll be on the road in a couple of weeks.

:clap: Sounds like you are doing what you think is best for your bike. I hope the fix is reasonably priced so you get to buy lots of gas. :rider:

I picked 'er up from the shop today. This thing runs great now. I don't know that I could be any happier with it.

Even though I had ridden this bike a few times when my father-in-law owned it, today was the first time I felt comfortable riding it like I owned it (since I do now!). It is one smooth running, stable steed.

Great! That bike will serve you well for a long time. Keep up with the regular services, and as with all carb bikes, be careful of storing it with this ethanol fuel we're forced to run in it.

Use the st-riders list for your regular services, and if you do plan on doing any serious riding, consider joining and getting a STOC number.

Back