• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Don't let the bed bugs bite!

M

mr-roboto

Some us who opt to stay in a motel have experienced bed bugs. For me, I usually take my sleeping bag with me instead of using the establishments sheets and blankets.

I found this web site that list bed bug outbreaks. I was a bit surprised at how extensive the infestation is and how often occurs at more pricier hotels! Just look at the listing for Texas only...

I usually check out the room first before staying for the night and use my flashlight to look under the mattress, sheets etc.

RB

Travelers motel in Cleburne!! :lol2::rofl: you are lucky if bed bugs is the only thing you catch in there!!

Honestly, I'm not sure I wanna know. Take a UV light. :doh:

I try and not think about this. Last year I spent 148 nights in hotels. This year will be about the same. I've been lucky so far. I liken it to not wanting to know what go's on in the kitchen at a restaurant.

I try and not think about this. Last year I spent 148 nights in hotels. This year will be about the same. I've been lucky so far. I liken it to not wanting to know what go's on in the kitchen at a restaurant.

I have to agree with you. In what traveling I do, never found them. Just wonder how many people these days get bit by anything and take it out on the hotel out of ignorance, or vindictiveness for not comp'ing the room.

Researched the site and found this:

"How can you be sure these reports are true?

We can't - this is the Internet! All our bedbug reports are submitted through the site, and have not been vetted for accuracy. We do our best to flag posts that have been disputed, but we remind our readers to take things with a grain of salt.

Some reports are posted by malicious tenants. Some are posted by evil competitors. Some are posted by hypochondriacs

I am thinking the "hypochondriacs" and "malicious people" statement may be a little too kind? Hey, this is the internet afterall and it does bring out the worst in people. ;-)

To think the bed bug issue is overstated, that is probably true in my opinion.

Yep I average 3 nights a week in hotels per year, never had an issue
with bugs. Now loud noisy folks in other rooms or pounding down the
halls is another matter.

I always request top floor rooms so I dont have to listen to people pounding around above me.

I'm generally around 120 to 160 myself, got bit badly at the Embassy Suites in Phoenix, AZ. The property manager was obstructive, rude and completely denied all culpability even though another of our team also got bitten. Head office batted us right back to the same aggressive manager.

Never stayed with Embassy Suites again, which is fine as I always thought their properties were shabby & dirty anyway.

I'm generally around 120 to 160 myself, got bit badly at the Embassy Suites in Phoenix, AZ. The property manager was obstructive, rude and completely denied all culpability even though another of our team also got bitten. Head office batted us right back to the same aggressive manager.

Never stayed with Embassy Suites again, which is fine as I always thought their properties were shabby & dirty anyway.

What did you do to make certain you did not take them with you?

I too am about a 140 night a year person, have been for more than 15 years now. I experienced my first bout with Bed Bugs about 3 weeks ago from a Hilton Garden Inn Canonsburg, PA (near Pittsburgh).

I too am about a 140 night a year person, have been for more than 15 years now. I experienced my first bout with Bed Bugs about 3 weeks ago from a Hilton Garden Inn Canonsburg, PA (near Pittsburgh).

How did you fix it? Get rid of them? Any practical advice to share? :zen:

Bed Bath & Beyond sell a Bed Bug spray which I used to douse my case. After a trip to buy a complete outfit I put all my clothes in a plastic bag and doused them too. As soon as I got home everything went into a hot wash. Luckily I did not bring any guests back with me.

Bed Bath & Beyond sell a Bed Bug spray which I used to douse my case. After a trip to buy a complete outfit I put all my clothes in a plastic bag and doused them too. As soon as I got home everything went into a hot wash. Luckily I did not bring any guests back with me.

This is good to know. I've also been told never to put your luggage on the bed. Of course I still do it, because it's just more convenient in a room with two beds, but supposedly it's a good way to insure you don't take any bugs home with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raid max bed bug & flea killer is highly rated. rubbing alcohol (in spray bottle) is said to work best. spray thoroughly all over then wash in hot water.

I was only there for one night and I didn't realize it until the flight home the next morning. Well to be honest I just knew my leg was itchy. Got back home and inspected myself and realized what was going on, so I used some cortisone cream on the itchy bites/bumps and did my best to not scratch the others. The bumps we like a bad mosquito bite, and true to form in their uniquely linear fashion, which is the tale tale sign of a bed bug exposure. I did contact the manager of the hotel and let them know the room number I was in and she was extremely apologetic and has called me twice since to make sure I am "ok". She also comp'd my nights stay for me.

I don't see me changing my behavior or hotel choices because of this singular event, well there is a new Hyatt Place in Washington PA 6 miles from the Hilton Garden Inn, I may try it next time in working out of our north east office.

Back