• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

+++ NO GO +++ NW Arkansas - Road Ride (non-Epic) - 8-9-10-11 October 2015

What Dates WILL you attend? (Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Christie
Due to the responses and availability of participants or more accurately, non-participants) - I give up. Never mind. Terminate the drill.

DATE IS AGREED: 8-9-10-11 October 2015.

Good day, all.

Some previous years, I have been privileged to attend the EPIC ride, in Arkansas, organized elsewhere in this forum. Enjoyed it immensely.

I am informed there is no EPIC ride planned this year - so I am proposing the following.

A road-ride weekend, based from a hotel / motel in NW Arkansas. Clarksville is good, but open to other suggestions as well.

Figure arrive Thursday, ride Friday and Saturday, depart Sunday.

Candidate dates:
24-27 Sept
1-4 October
8-11 October

If interested, post-up ...... we can settle dates and locations herein.

Last edited:
Re: NW Arkansas - Road Ride (non-Epic) - late Sept / early October 2015

I've been going up for the last ~10 years and always shoot for late Oct, early Nov, depending on the leaf reports.

For a base, I like Dogwood Springs in Jasper. You're then in the middle of some of the best roads and not far from other good ones.

The Hub is another cool place to stay and Prime Rib night is not to be missed.

If you drink, you have to bring it or run up to Harrison to purchase, Jasper is dry...

OK, I found you!

Yep, I'm interested!

The Hub is where the FZ1 guys are staying on their 9/19 ride.

I've never done one of the Arkansas rides... sounds good to me!

I could ride there, maybe we could find a trailer and bring 2 or 3 bikes with us... what ever works... trailering would be a first for me... but if I did, my sweetheart may want to go as well... I'll have to run it by her...

Sounds like a good weekend!

I did a Mena, Taihena, Hot Springs ride a couple weeks back. It was fantastic. I'd love to see whats further up north this time..

OK, found the thread. Thanks Neil. I have to wait what's going on at work to see what the rest of they year is going to be like for me as far as days off, etc. Normally I can plan the whole year at the beginning but there's been a tossup so when it normalizes I'll find out. Arkansas last year was a blast with very little rain and a lot of great riding, would love to go again.

EDIT: Sept 26-27 are the Street Machine Nationals in Springfield, MO. Just sayin'. For those of us that also like hot rods. Guess I'm not a diehard motorcycle rider if I also have other interests. Oct 2-4 are the Good Guys Nationals in Ft Worth. Nothing going on the next weekend. I'm just ribbin' ya.

Last edited:

The wife is good with the idea. Would be nice to use location for the "HQ" that is near some touristy spots to keep her occupied...

We seen to have sufficient interest - great.

Let's over the next several weeks let's:

1) collect followers;

2) have a poll to find out WHEN (which weekend) <-- NOTE THAT WE HAVE NOT AT THIS TIME SELECTED A WEEKEND, SO PLEASE STAY ON THE LIST

3) After we know 'when' - and therefore 'who' - we can have another discussion or poll to decide 'where'.

Stay tuned!

Neil

The wife is good with the idea. Would be nice to use location for the "HQ" that is near some touristy spots to keep her occupied...

You know, that ain't a bad idea. Day ride, then back to get cleaned up, have dinner, etc.

So another variable is "non-riding spouses or not."

Must channel the Statistics Geek now - multivariant analysis - linear equations and solution space - dates - locations - guests - attendees......

And, of course, when dealing with spouses, fuzzy logic techniques...

Hey Neil! Don't know if I can swing it for schedule, etc. But maybe I'd be in. Be good to see ya. Either of the first dates might work. The third date I'd have a conflict. But I'm only a maybe, so don't plan around me. I haven't done much more riding than just around town for a while, so not sure what all I'd even have to do to prepare myself and the bike for an all weekend kind of thing. But I've been saying I need an AR trip again. So maybe this'd be the one! And Neil, you'd be welcome for a stop over at my house in Dallas if you wanted to break the trip down into two legs heading back to H-town.

Interested. Clarksville / Mena would be of interest.

My wife is a school teacher so won't be coming along though if love to take her riding where we did last year.

I'm interested but as stated earlier I have no idea if I can get any time off yet. Will hopefully know in a few weeks.

BTW Neil, last November I suffered a spiral fracture to my right tibia and also broke the fibula. After being surgically repaired and physical therapy I'm back to riding again. Yes it was on a motorcycle, at slow speed in a parking lot. Not glamorous by any means.

Sent from my Android tablet using Tapatalk.

last November I suffered a spiral fracture to my right tibia and also broke the fibula. After being surgically repaired and physical therapy I'm back to riding again. Yes it was on a motorcycle, at slow speed in a parking lot. Not glamorous by any means.

Well, ouch. The good news it, it's your right leg - and you really don't need to use the rear brake, anyway.....

Glad it's healed.

BMW Riders Association is having their 2016 Annual Rally based out of Harrison, AR Oct 1-4. You don't have to be a member. You don't even have to own a BMW. Plenty of motorcycle-loving folk, usually have some fine motorcycles on display, plenty of motorcycle-specific vendors. Lots of room for camping with music, food, and beverages at night. Would be a good spot to base from. Check out the webpage for details.

Thanks, it's in my calendar.

There's always Eureka Springs. I've done a couple of rally's from there, touristy spot along with close proximity to the great Arkansas roads as well as those in Southern Missouri. Either way, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if I can make it...

Hmm... I've been craving AR for a few years now. Can't really commit yet, but I will be watching this thread with interest.

I am heading up there in early Sept, to spend the remainder of the year working at my riding ranch. If anyone cares to swing by, shoot me a PM. I am located up on top of the mountain that sits directly behind Boxley Valley Church. You would take Hwy 21 towards Kingston, then turn South on Newton Co road #9 (dirt road that goes South down to Redstar), and go 4 miles in. My place is on the left, it sits directly across from, and runs for a mile beyond the Sweeden Creek Nature Preserve. I have over 1600 acres, and that adjoins my brothers 700 acre parcel. Plenty of fun logging roads to ride, and beautiful wilderness forest waiting to be explored. Then there are all those great Newton County dirt roads, and asphalt twisties to enjoy. One of the best things about riding in Newton Co is that they do not require vehicles using the dirt roads to be licensed. Of course this a concession to all the local ranchers who use their tractors & 4 wheelers as primary transportation around the farm, but anyone can ride a plated dirt bike all over the County if you like, so long as you stick to the dirt roads.

Neil, the ZRXOA will be in ES the 14-18 no need for a ZRX be plenty of well routed trips as we have been going there 2 times a year for 15 years and have several members who
live in the area or used to live in the area who know the roads and eateries very well.

Generally several wives along that do the tourist shuffle in the area while we play in the streets

Just started a poll for "when" - after that, then we can select a date and then decide "where."

Already have the last weekend of September booked , staying on the river at Sylamore . 21 is my all time favorite road and since I picked up a nice 950 SE a couple weeks ago I am sure I will be visiting most of my favorite places . May stop by for a visit Wilderness rider if you are going to still be there . SEYA

Hey Cagiva that would be fun to have a you come by the place and do some riding with me. I should be up there unless I've gone back down to TX to race at TORN for the weekend. I think we race on Sept 19/20, then Oct 3/4 & 24/25.

If some of you guys were going to have wives or other non-rider types along. There are 2 main themes of tourism activities in this region.
1. Shopping strolls along picturesque quaint little streets visiting small individually owned businesses, and cafes. While seeking out some of the local architecture, arts, crafts & specialty items. If this is their pleasure, Eureka Springs has all that in spades.
2. Various outdoor recreation activities on the river, or in the forest is the other big tourist mainstay. If your party is more activity oriented and bicycling in the hills, or hiking along scenic ledge lines & boulder strewn creek beds is their thing. Or canoeing in the Buffalo River sounds more to their liking, then stay at the Hub. They are very accommodating to riders, and not very far North of Jasper. Jasper has a small town square with a few shops, several decent eateries, & a couple of small hotels. There are lots of canoe outfitters ready to take visitors for a float on the river. The Hub is the closest to the Buffalo River. A really nice hiking trail is close by that follows the river for many miles in each direction. If one likes climbing rock ledge faces, or repelling down them, then a visit to Horseshoe Canyon is a must.

Good day, all.

...so I am proposing the following.

A road-ride weekend, based from a hotel / motel in NW Arkansas...

If Eureka Springs is on the list, check with Cindy and Bryan at the Edelweiss Inn for lodging. Motorcycle people themselves, their place is really nice n friendly.
Level parking lot, close to downtown, the tourist trolley has a stop in their parking lot.

http://www.edelweissinn.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g31582-Eureka_Springs_Arkansas-Hotels.html

The Café Amore Italian restaurant is directly in front of the hotel.

http://www.cafeamorearkansas.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...views-Cafe_Amore-Eureka_Springs_Arkansas.html

And if you have a large group the Trails Inn is next door, barely 50ft away.

Tell them "Stephen" sent you.

Last edited:

Yup, unless you only have avid riders, & hearty outdoors enthusiasts in the group. Eureka Springs is probably the place to base from.

Back