• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain tension??

Reaction score
Ok guys and girls need a quick bit of advice before a ride out this afternoon

Put new sprockets on the girl yesterday as there was a clunking when pulling away

Front was definitely worn with the rear also showing signs of wear but not as bad

Both the service manual and the haynes manual says 20-30mm free play

I have manage to set it to give 23mm but seem so tight in comparison to what it used to be where the lower part of the chain was able to touch the underside of the swingarm

Is this right and do i need to change anything with taking a pillion as well?

Re: Cahin tension??

I always set for the loose end of the tolerance, on the side stand, at the tightest part of the chain. Did you replace the chain with the sprockets?

Re: Cahin tension??

Call me crazy but I like it near the swing arm (in the middle on the side stand) when lightly lifted and touching when pushed harder up! 40k on a OEM change/sprockets with this method and only changed for sanity! :trust:

chain tension is SIMPLE

jack the bike off the ground &, using a ratchet strap over the seat down to the swing arm, pull the swing arm up until the centers of the rear axle, swing arm pivot & countershaft are all in line

once aligned just snug & align the chain

this will be the tightest your chain can ever get and, if you care to, you can measure the SLACK once you let the bike off the jack, for future reference

shiny side up

sw

Back