• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1250FA vs 99 Concours

Reaction score
I have the Concours. How does the 1250 compare? The concours is heavy and the suspension not that great. It is warm in winter but gets uncomfortable hot in summer. Steering is kind of slow. The big tank and bags are nice.

Okay I'll chime in. First I have never owned a Bandit not that I haven't been tempted. Looks like the Bandit is about 75lbs lighter that is always a plus. The Connie has a larger faring so better weather protection. I would think the Bandit gets better fuel economy. They are both in line 4 cylinders so that the same. Connie is shaft drive where the Suzuki is chain. Like you pointed out the Connie is heavy but the Kawasaki bags and large fairing are great to have. I agree your legs can get toasty in the summer but when it rains or is cold it is your best friend. I bet there is someone here that might let you sample their Bandit to see. Lastly there is as you know NO perfect bike all have their limitations and pluses.

1250 is 560 lbs. in stock form is gets best of about 45mpg on the highway if you're cruising at 65-70. It has a 5 gallon tank. stock handlebars are awful and need to be replaced unless your shoulders are a foot apart.

Concours is a touring bike. Bandit is a standard, or also known as UJM (universal japanese motorcycle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Japanese_Motorcycle). it just happens to have half fairings and some aerodynamics. There is a full luggage option for teh Bandit (35L side cases and a top case of your choice)

In short, bandit is lighter, handles better, is less comfortable, and has its quirks.

I've ridden a couple connie's in Arkansas years back. Swapping bikes with BMW friends when I had my R11** GSs. Great bikes. Have not ridden one in years though.
Have over 80K miles on my 07 Bandit 1250 over the last 8 yrs. On the Connie, to do this mileage, a seat change is about all I think I would of needed, as I would of had to put more time on one to determine the handlebar set up.
The Bandit was seat, 3" risers , windshield combos till I found what worked for me. Still on my 3 rd chain/sprocket set so that does not bother me. I probably would of went into the Connie at 60K miles and changed all bearing in the rear end and wheels and steering neck as I did the bearings on the Bandit.
Kinda your choice and the deal you get.

I love the factory seat on my Connie. Best factory seat I have ever rode on and I have owned a good amount of bikes. Now the older ones I am not so sure even though I have a older model seat that I need to sell that is a extra. Now the BMW seat is horrible from the BMW factory. It is like a wooden bleacher seat. Germans rear ends must be made of stone.:rofl:

I have a 2007 Bandit 1250 with 51,000 trouble free miles on the clock. It is a very good motorcycle with lots of low end torque and about 100 hp. I have ridden it on long distance and short rides and was always satisfied with it once I had Spencer do the seat, new Bike Master Daytona Bars with 2" risers and 1 1/2" pull back.
I also have a2011 Concours with 44,000 trouble free miles. This bike is heavier by about 145 lbs. but it has the solid waterproof saddle bags, heated grips, electronic wind screen, ABS and Traction Control. This bike is a real great long distance and mountain rider. I've never experienced any heat issues even in the Summer here in Sunny California. I did replace the stock seat with a Russell Day Long, which raised the seat height up 1 1/2" but was well worth it. Easily a 500 mile per day rider. Shaft drive with a 5.8 gallon fuel tank. Averages about 45 mpg, depending on speed and riding conditions.
Unless you can do your own Valve checks, at every 15,000 miles, it will cost you about $700-1000 at a dealer for this and a plug change, radiator flush and oil and filter. A very labor intense undertaking.
I love both bikes as they are very dependable and are fun to ride.
I'm attaching a picture of the Concours but couldn't locate on of the Bandit.
I hope this helps with your decision.

Brent

Attachments

• Copy of Motorcycle Rides Spring 2012 099.jpg
    Copy of Motorcycle Rides Spring 2012 099.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 187
I have never owned or ridden a concours, but came close when I bought my 1250FA. I love this bike. I added one in bar risers, a Madstad windscreen and had my seat done by Laam custom seats. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. All I have are miles of smiles. It is easy to maneuver around as needed. I don't find it too heavy. I get about 170 miles to a tank (34mpg) with mixed riding of city/highway. Mostly city though. I haven't regretted getting this bike once. ABSOLUTELY love it!

20150401_144001_zpssai9rdle.jpg

Back