• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

leak and fuel smell?

Reaction score
Have notice a strong smell of fuel recently and after a quick inspection there seems to be oily/fuel dripping from the rubber links from the air filter to the t/bs.

Is this normal for them to go brittle after time and just need replacing or is there something else lurking??

What year Bandit? Seems like a typically failed petcock but if it's a newer Bandit and it has FI then the airbox may be full of oil/fuel mix. There should be an airbox drain line with a cap at the bottom of the motorcycle.

No clue what a t/bs is and don't know diddly about Bandits, but yes, it is "normal" for rubber in contact with oil/fuel vapor to go brittle and require replacement. The breather tubes on V-Rods are infamous for this - crappy material for a fragile corrugated tube, makes a mess atop and down the sides of the engine => ~$18 for a replacement tube, every year or so, half-hour job. I have 3 spares on hand.

T/B=Throttle Body. Usually means fuel injection but I've seen people use throttle body to describe a carburetor before. VROD=worst motorcycle I've ever sat astride.

Check the airbox drain line. Then inspect your intake boots.

check the fuel line connections and the flange gasket for the fuel pump.
both are above the throttle bodies and would leak down onto the throttle bodies.

Back