• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit 1250 - Highest Mileage

Mick

Reaction score
As I was reading about high mileage Honda ST1300's today, I got to wondering how much mileage one could expect out of the Bandit 1250. I know of one ST1300 that has gone over 300,000 miles without major problems. The modern big four Japanese bikes have power plants that are pretty much bullet proof and from everything I have read about the B1250, it is even more so and should go well over 100,000 miles with regular maintenance & replacement of normal wear & tear mechanical and electrical items.

Anybody heard of any B1250's with over 100,000 miles?

Seeing its a 2007 and on bike there will only be a few if any. I recall Dale mentioning maybe a few 80/90k bikes with no issues a few months back!? I'm at 29k miles myself working on more! ;)

Mine only has 30k. I've run 6 bikes from new off the showroom to over 100k. Really isn't a hard thing to do....

I had 60k on mine when I traded it in over a year ago. I know Andy on this board had more miles than me at the time, I imagine he's at 75k+ by now.

trey

At present, my ometer show 69,124 miles on it. I've been running a speedohealer since about 4000 miles set at an average of 6.5% minus to get the speedo reading the same as my gps on level roads. So it would probably be more in the neighborhood of 73,340 ish miles actually on it.
My crash this early summer knocked out any long distance trips last year and probably in the future.
So far, I've sync the throttles at about 11,000 miles, Change wheel and head bearing at around 60,000 miles, plugs 3 times. A yosh can with homemade restrictor plate of 1 inch to keep the bottom end torque that I like better than top end stuff.
Oil is changed anywhere from 3 to 5 thousand miles with filter every other. Filter. Depends on when changing the oil. Oil for local use is generally Castrol GTX 20w50 and Mobli 1 15w50 for long trips as I generally don't stop and change oil for these 5 to 7000 miles trips.
Other than that on the 3rd Chain and sprocket set and lots of tires. Last 4 sets have been Mich PR2 cause I just love getting over 10,000 miles on them. ;-)
I have never looked at the valves or done anything else to the engine. 90% of my running stays in the 2500 to 4500 rpm range so the engine is never stressed.

I had though of selling it after the crash , but, after putting it back right and going for a few rides as I healed up. I just can't let it go. Gonna stay for my local road trips. LOL don't think both my bikes together would get me more than about 3 thousand anyway.

My crash this early summer knocked out any long distance trips last year and probably in the future.

Sorry to hear this Andy. I know how enjoyable long days in the saddle in different parts of the country can be. Nothing like being on two wheels and wondering what new sight or experience is going to be around the next curve or over the next mountain range.

I may be in the same boat as you. I've developed neck problems (arthritis, stenosis, etc.) so bad I can no longer ride at interstate speeds very long without paying for it for weeks. Also found out the other day that I have re-torn a rotator cuff. Gotta love sliding into old age but it does beat the heck out of the alternative. :-P

Nothing like being on two wheels and wondering what new sight or experience is going to be around the next curve or over the next mountain range.

I hear that Mick. My damage was phase one seperation and rotary cup damage ( again ) to the left shoulder. Therapy and exersize getting it much better but never gonna be 100%.
Last trip , in the truck, to get a boat had me having to get out of the truck and walk around every few hundred miles due to ligaments in the hips.
Heck to get up there in age and all these other things start effecting your riding but, it is what it is. Long as I can climb on the Bandit and KLR , I'll be riding, even though just in a few hundred mile area. ;-)

I have never looked at the valves or done anything else to the engine. 90% of my running stays in the 2500 to 4500 rpm range so the engine is never stressed.
ay.

Valve clearances are either within spec or not. Doesn't matter if the engine is idling or at redline. Improper clearances can result in excessive wear and ultimately far more cost than cost of checking and adjusting if/when required. Remember...its the quiet valves that cause the most damage. Id suggest at min owners should follow the maintenance schedule as outlines in the owners manual. Just food for thought....

Valve clearances are either within spec or not. .

Very very true. LOL! I chose not to check them due to the fact that , so far, no one has found the 1250 Bandit engines valves to be out of spec. My choice!
Could not say the same bout the BMW's , Triumphs, BSA's, Matchless, Norton, Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis and other Suzuki's I've owned and worked on for the past 50+ years. ;-) And, even a few solid lifter Harleys and hot rod cars I've had.

There was a few on the other forum but it was one or two valves slightly off @ 25k if not 50k sooo.... I haven't touched mine either mainly for the fear of the common problem of dropping in the rubber piece and in general the amount of work for something that is 98% more then likely fine! Also my valves are NOT quiet! A clicky valve is a happy valve! :D

Wanna see what you have to go through to adj valves on an '07 DL 1000? You do have to check those. 6 of 8 valves were out of speck or too close to leave. Promise, it was near 8 hours solid labor. May could of cut it down to 6 if I would of had to do it again. Sold it at 18,000 miles after 14 months of ownership.
IMGP0062.jpg

IMGP0063.jpg

Try a first gen Multistrada....its 2hrs just to get to the engine! :angryfire

My new to me Bandit has 28K. I plan on going through the whole bike once I get some free time. I'll let you know how the valves measured out.

My Aprilia SXV550 needs engine rebuilt every 80-90hrs. Luckily its a mechanics dream to work on (less than an hour to have the engine on my bench). I'm on my 3rd rebuild but man once you throw a leg over and go for that first break in ride it makes it all worth it. They will have to pry this thing from my cold dead fingers....

SXV2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All I was doing is adjusting valves, not an engine replacement. ;-)

Wow SOOO glad I didn't get a Vstrom! And clearly the SXV550 is a pure race machine needing a new engine every so many hours! :O

Hi guys! I'm the original owner of my '08 Bandit and so far, I've put on 98 000K on different trips in Canada and in the USA. Not much to say besides regular maintenance. Best tires I've put on: PR3 and PR4.

By the way, great forum to find various infos.

Greetings from Québec city, Canada!

Last edited:
Since my crash a few years back and the healing period ( old guys take lots longer than young guys ;-) ) I've shut down my LD travels about the US. Probably about a 100 mile radius from home does it for me now. That sucks for doing the long miles on the Bandit. The KLR 650 is my go to bike for the last couple years due to suspension and our roads and the roads I like to run on.

Long time reader here but don't post often. A short 20 mile ride tomorrow and I will roll 97,000 miles. I changed the fuel sock for the 2nd time yesterday. I have changed the clutch and brake master cylinders due to being a daily rider exposed to the elements. I do have a fork seal seeping so that will be next repair. It is an 07 I bought almost 7 years ago with 4,000 miles. I still enjoy the bandit but have the itch for another bike. I will keep the bandit but would like something my wife finds comfortable.

mike

Mike Congrats on the upcoming 97K miles on your Bandit 1250s. Think this is the highest mileage I"ve heard of. For sure an amazing bike. And, the first bike I ever kept long than 50-60 thousand miles. Bought it as a left over in the spring of '08.

Ive got all of 21,400 on my 08 Bandit,I decided sparkplugs were a good idea,Suzuki wants em replaced pretty often but these went the distance and looked and worked fine. It does seem a little happier with new plugs. I love the engine and am working on comfort and suspension as we speak.

Let's see if I can get this to work on plug changes listed in my maintenance log.
06/01/09 Bandit 13880 spark plugs / air filter oil / filter
07/01/12 Bandit 56806 PR2 tires, sprockets/ chain/ anti-freeze / Plugs / chk fan for operation
Hmmmmmmmmm guess with 80,300 miles showing on the clock I need to think about changing them again. I did put iridium plugs in last time. Have not had the gas tank off since replacing it due to my crash in 2013. Still running the Speedohealer I installed when I first bought this bike in '08 so the ometer is still off by about 7% on the low side.

57k on my beast as of Friday! ZERO issues and never touched the valves yet either! :D

81k also have not had the valves checked
07 bandit 1250 bought new in June of 2007 with 2 miles

I posted awhile ago just shy of 97k miles. I dropped my bandit off at a local shop yesterday for a chain and sprockets. Odometer sitting at 102,300. Hopefully lots more miles to go.

Just thought I would update a really old thread. This past week coming home from work I rolled 110,000. Miles will roll up slower now as the bandit has to share seat time with a new to me bike. Bandit still will be my primary commuter do all bike.

Back