• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rukka Airpower Riding Suit Review

Mark G

Reaction score
I've had this suit for a couple of years, now, and it really got a workout the last ten days. I bought it because unlike the Stich, it's mesh, but protective, and I live in central Texas, where heat is my biggest enemy, especially behind the Goldwing fairing and shield.

The mesh works, especially on the FJR, where I get a lot more air to my torso. The included armor is all CE-approved, lightweight, and even it is perforated.

The pants have a perforated area of rubbery stuff in the seat...no monkey butt, ever.

There's an included inner jacket and pants liner, both windproof and waterproof, and the jacket has inflatable compartments for warmth.

Just got in from about ten days two up on the Goldwing from Texas to NC and back, started out with temps near 90, lots of cool weather in NC, one horrible day (actually, it was the night on a twisty road) in rain, temps in the lower 50s, yesterday 600 miles starting at 32 degrees, today another 600, all but about 30 in the rain...no kidding. Wore just a t shirt and underwear, and socks, of course, under the suit in all those conditions. Never got so much as a drop of rain anywhere except my not-waterproof boots and gloves. Puffed up the inner liner yesterday and was fine even at 32 degrees.

My wife hates the cold, hates to be wet and cold. She loaded up with pants under her liner, and a couple of long sleeve turtleneck shirts, and a fleece vest, for the two 600 mile cold-then-wet days, and was happy as a clam behind me, much more exposed to the weather than I was behind the GL fairing.

These suits are expensive, but they are absolutely the best bike gear I've ever owned. No, I've never had an Aerostich suit, and I"m sure they're fantastic, but I'm not wearing one of their suits in Texas when it's 102. Or 82.

When I bought my Rukkas, there were two U.S. retailers, both of whom were very helpful and knowledgable. The guy I bought from no longer handles the products. You can find more info here: http://tinyurl.com/8v7g8

I think the names of their suits have changed, but they still make the mesh one.

Got Pics? Details man! Model that stuff!!

Tourmeister said:
Got Pics? Details man! Model that stuff!!

Right. I just rode ten days or so, more than three thousand miles, wearing that thing all day every day. I'll go put it on right now, just for you, Scott. Not.

Check the url I put in the original post..it'll show you the current models of their bike suits, along with links to current U.S. dealers. I didn't buy from Trophy Leathers in the Chicago area, but did talk to them...very nice people.

I'll also add that Olympia gear is much less expensive, and appears to be very high quality, and ALSO has full CE armor.

Howdy,

If you guys need more info about Rukka equipment you can PM or email me. I deal with them quite often...they have sponsored my trips few times...got their SRO suit as well as their All Road suit. Good stuff, IMHO best you can get. Expensive but, like everything, good stuff is.

Rukka is a finnish company, owned by a family. Their US importer has not been really active...and they have not been pushing US markets that much yet. May change though :)

I believe these are official Rukka dealers in the US (corrected):

http://www.trophyleathers.com
www.helmetheadcyclegear.com

Jussi
jussi@touring-life.com

What I would like to see are detailed pics: pockets, neck and wrist cuffs, zippers, etc... The pics on the websites aren't all that great for that. Are the pants kind of baggy or are they snug? Can you put them on with your boots already on, or do you have to put them on and then put on your boots? Do the pants have a belt that goes all the way around the waist or does it just stop on either side of the zipper so that tightening it makes the pant material bunch up right at your gut?

Tourmeister said:
What I would like to see are detailed pics: pockets, neck and wrist cuffs, zippers, etc... The pics on the websites aren't all that great for that. Are the pants kind of baggy or are they snug? Can you put them on with your boots already on, or do you have to put them on and then put on your boots? Do the pants have a belt that goes all the way around the waist or does it just stop on either side of the zipper so that tightening it makes the pant material bunch up right at your gut?

I'll see if I can answer some of your questions, Scott.

Pockets everywhere in the jacket, two zippered hand pockets with inner waterproof compartments...soaked, but wallet was dry. Inner glove pockets both sides, zipped. Sleeves zip and have velcro closures, too. Pants have two pull-thingies, one on each side of the zipper, I don't notice any sort of bunching. The pants are not baggy, which is one thing I like...in the legs. When I land, I don't want my knee pads moving around. I have to put the pants on, then my boots. Legs have zippers up the back about the length of my boots. Can wear them inside or out.

Pants and jacket zip together, inner jacket zips to pants, then outer jacket zips to the inner jacket, and there's a crotch strap if you're REALLY anxious to keep everything in place, and the pant liners zip into the pants...all with different size zippers, so they're easy to find and get done. Back protector standard, CE approved, has holes in it for cooling.

Wind is NOT going to get inside this thing with the liners in place, nor is rain. Without the liners, the mesh is very fine, but is enough to let air in.

Let me put it this way: I crashed a racebike on the track a year ago, wearing good leathers with CE armor. I landed on my head, my right shoulder, and both knees. The knee armor caused some impressive soft tissue damage, which still bothers me occasionally. I wish I had been wearing my Rukka. The suit would likely have been ruined, but I don't think I would have been personally damaged as much.

The only soft spot, so to speak, in the Rukka armor, is that the outer jacket sleeves are pretty loose, to allow the inner liner room to be put on. The elbow pads might move in a bad fall...but on the other hand, they're so wide it might not make a difference.

Back