• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone in Leander area with a compression tester???

Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who wouldn't mind letting me borrow, or running over to my place to check the compression on my KX250?

I am looking to do a top end as preventative, but wanted to see what compression was before I do it. My gauge is junk and only read 90psi. Bike RIPS, so I know that isn't right.

Tester from Oreilly's didn't work at all. Tester from Autozone reads 190psi...and that seems way to high. I've had the bike 2 years, but don't know how many hours. But 190psi seems like a heck of a lot for a bike that I would guess has 50+ hrs on it.

I am right off 183 and 2243.

Just remember how hard it is to kick, put a top end and forget about it. I hear the psi is only relevent if you took it new and then go from there. What difference are the numbers anyway, you just dont want that old piston to crack and come apart or slap around in there.

Just remember how hard it is to kick, put a top end and forget about it. I hear the psi is only relevent if you took it new and then go from there. What difference are the numbers anyway, you just dont want that old piston to crack and come apart or slap around in there.

Yeah my bike runs fine and isn't down on power at all. Just considering it more for piece of mind and having a starting point. Record both psi and hours so I have a better idea of how it is wearing.

I have an HF one, which seems to work fine. I'm down the road in Cibolo, but if you want to come down, you're welcome to use it. I rarely get up that way, or I'd just bring it up. Closest I get is Pinballz in Austin.

Might be cheaper to just buy one (gas and mostly time). Plus, if you have one that you use, the readings will be more relative across time.

I have a Snap on tools unit that should be accurate, you are welcome to borrow it. send PM or call 512-965-4830

A question of compression RATIO is a place to start. What was the designed ratio? Then the gage reading should match that.
Is it smoking, burning oil, fouling plugs? Absent that, just go enjoy it!
(Of course, you can play in the garage all summer, but a good-running engine ought to just be used until it TELLS you to fix something. Unlike an aircraft engine, you are most often already in contact with terra firma, and can safely stop.)

A question of compression RATIO is a place to start. What was the designed ratio? Then the gage reading should match that.
Is it smoking, burning oil, fouling plugs? Absent that, just go enjoy it!
(Of course, you can play in the garage all summer, but a good-running engine ought to just be used until it TELLS you to fix something. Unlike an aircraft engine, you are most often already in contact with terra firma, and can safely stop.)

From what I've read its about spot on for a good healthy top end. Aside from piece of mind there is no reason indicating it needs a new top end. Runs awesome and rips!!

If the bike has been trail ridden all of its life id wait. You could always get $20 in gaskets, open it and look inside, clean your power valve and see. If it looks good it probably is. Doesnt take that long and if its the project that you want you still get it.

Back