• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What to do? WR250X...no VIN

Reaction score
So I bought this with the hopes of entering the supermoto world. It was a stolen bike and bought from an impound auction. It has aftermarket exhaust, programmer, bars, levers, and basically was someone's bad *** supermoto then some a-hole stole it, dropped in a couple times, then scratched the VIN off. Now I thought you can just get a new VIN stamped on but that might not be the case. Just probing the community, what do you think would be the best move? Can this bike become street legal again?

Attachments

• IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 213
See if you can find a frame with a title and swap everything over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One might ask why you bought it if you didn't know the answers to your questions beforehand.

I looked and the only frame I can find is on EBay for $1000...and garfey haha I know. I knew I had enough to part and be fine but I was hoping for more.

Does anyone have any experience on getting a new VIN for a motorcycle?

... Does anyone have any experience on getting a new VIN for a motorcycle?

Yes, for an "assembled" bike.

There's a form you can get at the Courthouse that you fill out showing where the parts came from, then you make an appointment with the local DPS Inspectior. He checks the bike and assigns a VIN. It's not hard.

What about a frame for a non street wr or maybe a yz? If you found one with an off road title, you could swap everything over and then go thru the steps to make it street legal.

Yes, for an "assembled" bike.

There's a form you can get at the Courthouse that you fill out showing where the parts came from, then you make an appointment with the local DPS Inspectior. He checks the bike and assigns a VIN. It's not hard.

How do insurance companies price bike like this?

I looked around and the frames and crank cases are different for the wrf and yz. I would need a wrr or wrx frame.

How do insurance companies price bike like this?

Short answer: very carefully, but I expect he'd be looking at an agreed value policy and the premium will be dependent on how much the ins. co. will be "exposed." Liability premium? No clue and unanswerable given what we've been given. Coverage on different bikes costs different amounts.

The real question is: Why ask hypothetical questions of folk who don't know? For a REAL answer, he should ask an insurance agent and give specifics or he/she will roll his/her eyes, too.

Last edited:
Years ago, I bought an old RD400 that the PO had assembled from an old spare parts bike and the new parts catalog at a Yamaha dealership... using a new frame from Yamaha w/o a VIN. The bike was registered in the 1980's using the engine number.

Shortly after I got it I toasted the motor. So when I got it going again with a different motor, nothing on the bike matched the title. I went to the DMV and explained the situation, they gave me a new VIN which I stamped on the frame. Once done I had to take the bike to the police dept so they could verify everything and I got a new title with the new VIN on it...

I did as much as possible with the DMV in person.

A bit of a headache, and not quite your situation, but better than swapping frames.

not a bike i know but i bought a little fishing boat from a wrecker service here in town he hauled it in from the side of hwy 377. bad wheel bearing he had it a while went through what the state has him do had auction i bought it he gave me some paper work took to tag office .hand lady paper work she says o bought at auction paid some small fees boom tags reg done .so thats how it went for me .like garfey said :sun::sun:

Well I went by the tax office and they said I would need an attorney and a count order to have the bike put in my name...so I'm going to part it out. Although I did get about 8 digits off the vin so I might see if I can find the original owner and get it back to him. It's a super nice bike with lots of after market so I'm assuming the guy likes his bike and it pisses me off some dumb *** stole his bike and trashed it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Well I went by the tax office and they said I would need an attorney and a count order to have the bike put in my name...so I'm going to part it out. Although I did get about 8 digits off the vin so I might see if I can find the original owner and get it back to him. It's a super nice bike with lots of after market so I'm assuming the guy likes his bike and it pisses me off some dumb *** stole his bike and trashed it.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Easier to "move" to the sticks for a while, register it where the ladies ain't stupid and are there to help.

I'll rent you my camper, cheap, and provide rent receipts, though you only need something like that to prove residence in Luzianna. Yes, it has A/C and running water, you just have to go outside (or into the house) to TCOB (or to change your mind - it's a 1984 Scamp). :rofl:
You'll mo-de-lawn.
Everybody'll be 'appy! :chug:

Yes, I'm serious. :trust:

Last edited:
Would make a great farm bike IMO, it wouldn't bother me that it came from auction wo title, If I didn't just make a purchase I'd love to have it and your in my town lol.

Last edited:
It has a broken fuel pump and that's just the start. I'm sure mechanically it's fine but to restore and sell is too much time for not enough money. If anyone wants it make an offer. If not I'm parting it

Stolen, recovered, & auctioned usually = trashed.
I'm sure the a**hat who stole my FE400 burned the motor to a crisp then dumped it in the woods, probably behind his Dad's place (no, the cops were apparently not interested enough to go look, no money in it for them). No way for him to know it was a pure race bike with no cooling fan. Owner's Manual said, "DO NOT ALLOW THE ENGINE TO IDLE FOR MORE THAN ONE MINUTE OR SEVERE DAMAGE WILL RESULT!"

And all because I told him he couldn't ride it because he didn't have an M on his license. And Crank. And him being an idiot, perpetually in trouble. I think he's still in the pokey for stealing big eqpt from his employer but a neighbooger told me something had gone missing from his house, so the Tweaker Thief may be out.

After dark, baby, after dark!

I'm looking into what it would take to make it legal in Louisiana. I may make an offer.

The impound yard should have given you the paperwork to go to the courthouse, title, and register the bike. I would get in touch with them and ask for that documentation. Sure seems like there is an insurance company out there somewhere that might have a say and possible ownership rights to that bike. If they paid a claim then it might not be a legitimate sale on the part of the yard.

Looks like you got a free can of worms along with that WRX.

Haha I should have gotten worms too!

No I have all the documentation for the bike and I'm able to get a title just debating whether to part or fix.

Back