• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

XR650L performance project

Reaction score
Here's the deal. Here at H&W Honda Palestine. we have 2 xr's sitting on the showroom floor. One is a 2012 and the other is an '09. Both are new on floor with the '09 having 25 miles on it from me takin it to lunch and around the parking lot (needed carb clean from sitting).

Also, i have access to a lil performance shop right out side of town with a dyno, flow binch and all that fun stuff. Person i ride to work with is huge into drag racing.

with all that in mind, im wanting to sell my Dr650 and pick up (prob, the '09) one of the xr's. my goal is to fully work it up from stock to full on crank case out mods and document the hole thing on the dyno and post the process and pictures on here. with all the lookin around ive done on the xr's there plenty of parts but no pictures or maps of someone actually doin it.

Things to work out. exhaust system to go with, big bore kit, cam and top end, con rod, what carb, fuel tank, is there an ignition upgraid? and velocity stack/airfilter mod.

hope you guys will help out the decision making process.

Your location says Houston but you work at H&W in Palestine you will
never make an XR fast enough to get to work ontime:rofl:

What is the intended purpose for your XRL? There is a big difference between a SuperMoto hooligan bike and a Baja racer.

well im on the fience with baja bad ***** and street hooligan. it will be a daily driver for the most part if we cant sell it off the bat. thats y i wanted to start out doing the little stuff like daves mods and smog block off kit. post results then move up stage by stage from there. i figured motor work first then decide on the look/purpous. everyone around here is nutso over the quads and i want to show what can be done with the dualsports. "the options" if you will. theres no reason for a xr to be sitting on the show room floor for 3 years. SO! perhaps one, style then the other. ah and as far as location goes, i just moved from houston to marquez for a bit with the in'laws and work in palestine. prob. going to find a place in Buffalo.

I went the hotrod route with an XRL and ended up regretting it. Wiseco high comp piston, hotcams cam, FCR Flatslide carb, some other doodads. Ended up in way too deep on a bike that was getting close to the stock output of an XRR with outdated suspension. Not to mention low 30's for gas mileage.

I know half the fun is 'shaking off the haters', but XRL isn't a good performance platform.

edit: Not to mention that granny first and the 2'nd gear that could pass for 3'rd on other bikes.

I went the hotrod route with an XRL and ended up regretting it. Wiseco high comp piston, hotcams cam, FCR Flatslide carb, some other doodads. Ended up in way too deep on a bike that was getting close to the stock output of an XRR with outdated suspension. Not to mention low 30's for gas mileage.

I know half the fun is 'shaking off the haters', but XRL isn't a good performance platform.

edit: Not to mention that granny first and the 2'nd gear that could pass for 3'rd on other bikes.

I was kinda thinking this might be the case but was not sure where the HP numbers would end up compared to the XRR

You sir are wrong! ( I love writing that, it empowers me!:lol2:) :brainsnap
Seriously though:mrgreen:, the 650L is a big, powerful bike!:trust: It comes from the factory corked up like a bottle, what's so cool about it is you can uncork it cheap with dramatic results. Mine's real fast with 0 engine mods and I can prove it.
To say that the gap between 1st and 2nd is a hindrance shows me someone who couldn't get used to it. I did.:shrug:
So I'm just wondering, what bike would you suggest for his project, maybe a high $$$$ European bike? Or maybe a KLR?:lol2:

XR650R, DRZ400E can both be had for reasonable prices. Def not a KLR650. If you already had an XRL, I would be all for it if that's the route you're wanting to go. But to buy a brand new XRL for a performance platform seems like a recipe for regret.

By the way, if our roles were reversed, I would now be on my way to the dealership to pick up that XRL and make it do roll on power wheelies in 3'rd just to prove me wrong. =P

You sir are wrong! ( I love writing that, it empowers me!:lol2:) :brainsnap
Seriously though:mrgreen:, the 650L is a big, powerful bike!:trust: It comes from the factory corked up like a bottle, what's so cool about it is you can uncork it cheap with dramatic results. Mine's real fast with 0 engine mods and I can prove it.
To say that the gap between 1st and 2nd is a hindrance shows me someone who couldn't get used to it. I did.:shrug:
So I'm just wondering, what bike would you suggest for his project, maybe a high $$$$ European bike? Or maybe a KLR?:lol2:

What's factory baseline HP and torque figures? What can you end up with?
What is the projected cost per HP gain?
Any vertical single is going to be challenged from a VE standpoint. I know that much has been done with KLR650 mods, cams, piston, headwork, exhaust, etc. but in the end the cost was not a good value for the increase. I can't believe that the XR650L would be that much different? But certainly rejet, better breathing intake and exhaust will make any bike sound and run better and NOT break the bank.
:sun:

A stock XRL is about 33-35 horsepower (same as the other 650 Japanese singles from that era). The XRL makes its torque early in the powerband - MotorcycleUSA reported the XRL makes 90% of its torque by 3000 rpm

610922008_dual-sport_comparo_tor.jpg

I think with basic mods - air, exhaust, & carb - you can pick up another 2 HP or so.

xrl_dyno.jpg

With more extensive mods I believe you can get very close to 50 HP from an XRL.

A stock XRL is about 33-35 horsepower (same as the other 650 Japanese singles from that era). The XRL makes its torque early in the powerband - MotorcycleUSA reported the XRL makes 90% of its torque by 3000 rpm

610922008_dual-sport_comparo_tor.jpg

I think with basic mods - air, exhaust, & carb - you can pick up another 2 HP or so.

xrl_dyno.jpg

With more extensive mods I believe you can get very close to 50 HP from an XRL.

What is the projected cost per HP gain?
Any vertical single is going to be challenged from a VE standpoint. I know that much has been done with KLR650 mods, cams, piston, headwork, exhaust, etc. but in the end the cost was not a good value for the increase. I can't believe that the XR650L would be that much different? But certainly rejet, better breathing intake and exhaust will make any bike sound and run better and NOT break the bank.
Well OK, I'm one of those nerds who are obsessed with HP gain on the cheap. It's a sickness, look at my TW for example, it's the fastest TW in Texas!:trust: :lol2: Heck, I even ground the welds on my lawnmowers exhaust pipe!:eek2: :rofl: :giveup:
Certain bikes do certain things, the idea of modding the engine on a KLR bores me to tears.:tears: If I owned one I might spend $$ on it to make it more highway friendly but I would never consider it for a "performance platform". The Honda XR is a different story, it's much more dirt oriented right off the floor. It's like comparing a Cadillac to a Mustang, which one would you rather modify for performance?
Yes, the XRL is dated, it can't touch a modern showroom KTM per cc but it's still a rock solid platform to build from (and you won't break the bank doing it).;-)
I'm always baffled by the guy who goes out and buys a $100,000 Italian sports car, does he not realize what a $2000 junk Pontiac GTO and $98,000 can do?

And here's the Patman's data for the KLR, highly modified 685....for about 47 or 48 HP. To be sure, both charts represent a great performance gain over stock. But when you look at the power potential of a multiple cylinder engine (650 R1 or CBR making 120+HP from the same size engine).....you have to ask the question....is it worth it?

Attachments

• eXcel-dyno-chart-A.jpg
    eXcel-dyno-chart-A.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 5,408
Well OK, I'm one of those nerds who are obsessed with HP gain on the cheap. It's a sickness, look at my TW for example, it's the fastest TW in Texas!:trust: :lol2: Heck, I even ground the welds on my lawnmowers exhaust pipe!:eek2: :rofl: :giveup:
Certain bikes do certain things, the idea of modding the engine on a KLR bores me to tears.:tears: If I owned one I might spend $$ on it to make it more highway friendly but I would never consider it for a "performance platform". The Honda XR is a different story, it's much more dirt oriented right off the floor. It's like comparing a Cadillac to a Mustang, which one would you rather modify for performance?
Yes, the XRL is dated, it can't touch a modern showroom KTM per cc but it's still a rock solid platform to build from (and you won't break the bank doing it).;-)
I'm always baffled by the guy who goes out and buys a $100,000 Italian sports car, does he not realize what $2000 on a junk Pontiac GTO and $98,000 can do?
Exactly right!
Few will argue that the XR is not a better dirt bike! I was merely discussing the merits of the single engine over a multiple cylinder format.

Modern 650 class dual sport bikes from KTM, Husky and Husaberg make 50-60 HP but cost up to $4000 more than an XRL (a new KTM 690 is about $10,300; a new XR650L is about $6500).

I estimate that for about $2000 (with the owner doing the majority of the work) you could modify a XRL to get 45-50 hp plus modify the transmission (change 2nd and 5th gears) to make the XRL a better dual sport adventure bike.

If I'm right then for as much as $2000 less than the cost of one of the modern 650 class bikes you could convert the XRL into a comparable performer.

I was merely discussing the merits of the single engine over a multiple cylinder format.:sun:

I agree - if the single goal is power output then multi-cylinder bikes rule.

However, if other factors are of similar importance - off-pavement performance, for example - then modifying a single piston bike becomes a lot more compelling.

I agree - if the single goal is power output then multi-cylinder bikes rule.

However, if other factors are of similar importance - off-pavement performance, for example - then modifying a single piston bike becomes a lot more compelling.
Indeed, but the 64 HP KTM 690 (for example) is a LONG WAY from any 47 HP single. I'll never sell my KLR because it has "enough" power off-road to keep me happy and tires are cheaper due to lack of HP...:lol2:

wow you guys are amazing. awesome feedback and topics. to clarify. the gole is not to see how much i can get out of a thumper, if that wher the case id be turbo'n a xrr. im lookin to have my bike up at the shop and folks asking what the heck that awesome lookin thing is. im doing the performance thing because i can. one of the salesmen at h&w is a dragracing guru and have a full shop in buffalo to work with. to be clear its not a business. to do performance work.. he calls dirty south performance. but dragg racing isnt my thing so ive been talkin with hime about doing this. and hes on board. i am thinking however would i get more out of a xrr with the same stuff being done and not a 28mpg bike.?

so i did find an xrr on craigslist for 4500 with several things on it ill want but no performance work. it an 07 with like 200 miles on it.

also i did price out performance parts: hot cam, big bore, valves, ceramic coating, ti-valve springs, con rod, full exhaust, pumper carb (just picked one), exhaust wrap, velocity stack, battery relocating with 450x battery swap. and it all comes out to under 1800. now i will be doing all the work and getting profesional help with the port/polishing and tuning. this is if i go with the xrl. i havent price if i do the same for the xrr but i bet the parts price would be close.

question: gas mileage better on a xrr or xrl?

bottom line i want more enduro bike and motard coming through the shop. just want the people to see whats out there. and the performance is for me and documenting it is for you guys.

Last edited:
Back