• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Should We Have Tiered Licensing?

I find it interesting that I own 2 bikes which are very popular in other countries due to the tiered system;
The TW200 is very popular in Japan in the lowest tier (search YouTube for 'TW200 Japan'), anything bigger than 200cc's prices the everyday Joe out so they'll mod those to insanity.
Another is the RD/RZ350 in SE Asia as the tier changes at 350cc's. A modded 80's era RD/RZ's being 2strokes can compete with with the HP of a modern 650 4stroke, so only a fool would not take advantage of this convenient loophole.

When I started riding way back in the early 70s there was a bit of tiered licensing. For motorcycles, 99cc or less below for age 15 and 16. 100cc and bigger at 16 with DE or 17 without. For automobiles it was 15 with a hardship, 16 with DE and 17 without.

In my case. I rode until I got a ticket for no TxDL when I was 16. That was almost 2 years of street riding with no TxDL. I had 2 Honda SL175s. I started dirt riding on mini bikes, Honda 50 and a Suzuki TC90 when I was 13. In my case I was using my bikes to get back and fourth from school and work. Also, back then helmets were mandatory for any bike and any age. As time went by I progressed from a SL175s, XL250, CB400, KZ650, KZ1000 and so on. For me, I think it was a great deal. My early dirt bike experience taught me bike control in loose conditions. As I got older, Advanced MSF course, track days, books and riding with friends taught me a whole lot more than I could have learned on my own. The basic Texas tier system in the day and my own self imposed tier system worked for me.

In my opinion, I think all newbies should have to take a basic several hour MSF course to see if they can move on to something else. Those who can should be allowed to do the 2 day class and get what they want. For those who do not demonstrate the appropriate skills, they should have to take a much more in-depth MSF course. I think the same should apply to automobiles. I tend to agree with some of the comments made about just because you have a car TxDL dosent mean you have the skills to drive a 500HP corvette or a big 24 foot long box truck, not to mention any trailer towing skills.

I consider myself an accomplished rider, and still gravitage to supermotoards and enduros. I have a Ninja in the garage as a daily commuter bike, but it is very satisfying to leave other sportbikes in my wke when riding the KLR 650. I'm itching to pull the trigger for a some sort of scrambler or supermotard. As I get more expereince it becomes more fun to ride a smaller displacement machine to the limits. I can use every bit the KLR has to offer on a curvey road, where as I've yet to find those limits on the Ninja.

As I get more expereince it becomes more fun to ride a smaller displacement machine to the limits.

That is why I have motorcycles of 200, 250, 267, and 276cc displacements. About 95% of my miles are and were on those 4 bikes, even when I had 3 bikes of 550cc displacement or more licensed and insured in the garage.

Back