• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How many fingers does it take?

That's Gary Bailey. I took a couple of his classes and was the recipient of the stick a few times. Hence, the the reason I have my middle finger on the clutch and brake most of the time.

Thanks; I kept wanting to say Steve Wise, but I didn't think that was right.

Where did you find my picture of me sitting on a mini-bike next to a mirror? (your avatar) :lol2:

2 and 2, I have to stay strong for when I get to ride dirt again!

:flip:use of one each and Steve did practice that approach but I never got caught... force of good habits

Depends on where I am. If I'm in town riding, the I cover. Out on the highways, at some speed, it's typically not required, unless traffic becomes a concern, the I cover. When I cover, it's normally 2 & 2, index and middle on both hands.

2/2. I ride slow enough and look far enough ahead it is not necessary to cover anything so I avoid worn out clutches and brakes.

2 and 2 out of habit. I had learned over years of dirt bikes. Took the MSF to get my license and was counted off point for it. I told him I didn't want to unlearn what took so long to learn. They were preaching all 4 fingers on both sides.

Took the MSF to get my license and was counted off point for it. I told him I didn't want to unlearn what took so long to learn. They were preaching all 4 fingers on both sides.

That's why I don't take the MSF. Other "Old Dogs" tell me that they took something away from the experience, but the last thing I want to do is confuse a set of habits that have developed over decades.

Depending on how "stiff" the clutch pull might be, I use 3 or 4. When applying the front break I keep the index finger and thumb warapped around the grip and use the remaining three to modulate the brake lever. Seems to give me good control, though I've see a lot of sportbikes lately set-up with lever that can only accomodate two fingers.

Well at least I'm not the only one who had different thoughts when clicking on this thread. :trust:

4/4. Though I'm pretty quick with the clutch sometimes. So probably two on that those times.

Clutch lever broken, only room for 3 fingers. Brake none that will make you flip over.

Three fingers for clutch. Two fingers for brake.

+1. Works particularly well with shortie levers. The outside finger gets to hook on the "ball" at the end of the levers and get better purchase.

Pinky finger are short (on most folks) and don't really contribute much to lever grab, even if the rider does reach out.

That's why I don't take the MSF. Other "Old Dogs" tell me that they took something away from the experience, but the last thing I want to do is confuse a set of habits that have developed over decades.

At the time I had renewed my license and the "M" didn't carry over. I needed to get it, but didn't want to go through the pain of borrowing a bike for the test as I didn't have a street bike at the time. I opted to take the course and sit through a bunch of stuff I already knew (like the first range day). Other than the whole 4 finger deal I got something out of it.

Back