• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where to go?

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Jensen
I got laid off last week. After a few days of pounding out resumes and applications, I need a break. So, with 3-5 days, starting in DFW, which direction would you point your front tire to?
I was thinking of the Texas coast, but I welcome any advice.

Colorado would be awesome!

Or you could head to Arkansas, get there a little quicker and have more time to ride ... everywhere!

I guess it depends on if you're more interested in just flying away fast or if you feel like taking some scenery jaunts. Either way... jealous ;-)

Sorry about they lay off. Been there and it sucks. You are in Denton so I'd head North. Arkansas is always good via Talimena Pkwy.?

I agree with those who suggested Arkansas. Mucho good roads that are easy to get to.

Sorry about your job situation - I know that is a trial. There is a God in heaven Who takes care of His own.

Sorry about the circumstances, but you're onto a great idea for a break to make the most of unexpected free time. If time isn't an issue, Colorado would win for me. It's a long trek up there, however, and you burn a lot of time getting there and back.

With only 3-5 days, Arkansas would be my choice too. You can get up there and on good roads in the first day. Get a Butler map and start riding roads in NW Ark and Southern Missouri. There are so many great choices that can keep you occupied and good threads here on the forum with suggestions if you prefer that to the Butler approach. I was recently able to ride AR mid-week and it was a revelation vs. weekend traffic (which isn't that bad). Should be great weather and the fall colors are coming in. That may bring out the weekend leaf-peepers, so plan accordingly.

Arkansas..... no leaf peepers yet and the weather forecast for the next week is superb. If you are in NW Arkansas on Wednesday I will show you some good roads.

Last edited:
Cool weather for camping in NW Arkansas this week. Warm days for riding. Maybe a shower or two next Friday. 7-10 days would be better for you.

If you can go during the week to avoid the weekend riders, definitely Northwest Arkansas and Southwest/Southcentral Missouri!! I like Northern NM and Colorado a lot, but you are gonna burn a day just to get to some interesting riding and then another on the way back. At least if you go to Ark/Mo, a good chunk of the first and last day can be nice riding up through NE Texas into Arkansas.

Northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. If 5 days minimum
Port A if 3 days. Warmer here. My favorite veg do nothing part of the country.

Have ideas on both places if you figure out which way your going. KP

I got laid off last week. After a few days of pounding out resumes and applications, I need a break. So, with 3-5 days, starting in DFW, which direction would you point your front tire to?
I was thinking of the Texas coast, but I welcome any advice.

The coast sucks for motorcycle riding. Flat and boring. Trust me, I live here.

If you can go during the week to avoid the weekend riders, definitely Northwest Arkansas and Southwest/Southcentral Missouri!! I like Northern NM and Colorado a lot, but you are gonna burn a day just to get to some interesting riding and then another on the way back. At least if you go to Ark/Mo, a good chunk of the first and last day can be nice riding up through NE Texas into Arkansas.

^^^ This is your answer...

Several threads about the Cloudcroft area and Arkansas. Bob is right it would be pretty chilly in CO. Albuquerque area might not be too bad or Silver City??? It depends on the time you will have. The coast is less crowded this time of year and very peaceful.

Last edited:
I too recommend Northern AR, Southern MO. Stay at The HUB just north of Jasper, AR... lots of great roads in that area. Take the ferry across the lake into MO (it's free)... only 10 minutes long but kinda cool on a bike, at least the first time. ;)

White Sands, Los Alamos, Alomogordo, etc. Make a muclear tour. I did a few years ago. Weather is perfect for it now. Go through Cloudcroft of course.

Even for 5 days I would suggest north-northwestern Arkansas. Head up to the Jasper area or Mountain View area. Base out of one place and you don't have to get up and pack the bike every day. Do 200-300 miles aday and never get more than 100 miles from your base. On the way home stay overnight in Mena and hit the Talimena Parkway on the way home.

If you want to kick back and do some fishing in between rides I suggest staying Jack's Fishing Resort in Mountain View. They are not a fu fu resort. If you're happy with a bed and a shower(kitchenettes avail too) they are just fine. Plus you can get a 3 day fishing license and use a boat or a bank. Good catfish and steak place on the grounds too. In the evenings sometimes in town they have some local musicians playing.

Oh yea, its a dry county. Come prepared.

so...where's ya go? did you come back? will you ever? :rofl:

------------------------------------------
Send a wire to the main office and tell them I said "Ow!" Got it!

Sorry for the silence, but I went to Galveston for a few days, flipped back to DFW for an interview today, and will likely try another mid week run someplace else. Leaning to Arkansas on this one. Seems closer than New Mexico. Was also thinking of getting my saddle sore(?) 1000 on a run to Roswell and back. Gas is cheap right now and with the miracle of the interwebz I can apply to jobs from any place with LTE or free WiFi. So why not ride.

Last edited:
Sorry for the silence, but I went to Galveston for a few days, flipped back to DFW for an interview today, and will likely try another mid week run someplace else. Leaning to Arkansas on this one. Seems closer than New Mexico. Was also thinking of getting my saddle sore(?) 1000 on a run to Roswell and back. Gas is cheap right now and with the miracle of the interwebz I can apply to jobs from any place with LTE or free WiFi. So why not ride.

What did you do in Galveston? Nice place to visit and a ton of stuff to do and see. Much more expensive than Port A. But so much more to see.

What did you do in Galveston? Nice place to visit and a ton of stuff to do and see. Much more expensive than Port A. But so much more to see.

I have never been to Port A. I was able to stay with sympathetic friends so lodging was free, and they were amazing hosts. Spent most of the day time wrapping my head around everything, and being an island bum. The evenings spent at Galveston Island brewery. I even muled a growler of GIB beer home which may be the first of their product consumed in Denton County.

The TWC says I need to do 5 job searches (applications) per week to maintain my benefits. It is Sunday night and I'm 40% there... At this rate, I'll be able to ride by Tuesday morning :)

Back