• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mena Arkansas best roads/routes

brg

Reaction score
I've got a 2 day trip planned, staying in Mena, Arkansas. I was interested in what roads might be recommended in that area. If anyone has any ideas on loops/routes, that would be even better. I'm riding a v-strom, so I'm looking for pavement mainly. Thanks!

Do the scenic byway its fantastic.
Theres a 144 in OK that runs SE out of Talihena, and is really remote. I ran that and it was great.

If you have time, order the Butler map of the Ozarks. You can order it through Amazon, or direct from Butlermaps.com.

Oops, sorry Rod. Forgot we have our own mini-distributor here.

Thanx t.....
I dont kno about that "mini" part tho.....

I had stopped sellin em for a while.... couldnt help but keep on keepin on.... Im jus ....
Its fun tellin folks about roads

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Wish I had known. Just bought a couple Butler maps the other day. Would have bought from you but thought you were done with it.

pavement mainly...

So that means you'll get a little dirty? Like, dusty?

There's Hwy 8 (paved) that leaves SE from Mena and goes by the airport. 8 is kinda fun by itself. Sweeping turns, not the tight twisty kind.

But after the airport there's a dirt road that's really fun. It's a dirt road, not a trail and runs off Hwy 8 and returns to Hwy 8. Look for Hickory Ridge Road to the south side of 8 near Board Camp.

And try US 259 that crosses the Talimena Scenic drive just north of Hwy 144 mentioned above.

Then there's the Old Indian Hwy that runs north out of Honobia from 144. Rode it this weekend and it's getting a little beat up and overgrown so get on it soon before it goes completely to pot and/or they start working on it and mess it up.

I just found out his weekend that Honobia is pronounced Hah-nah-bee and not like phobia! Where have I been!

I just finished a 4 day ride in the Ozarks. Ride 123, 43, 74, 7 at the least. Don't ride the Pig Trail. It's closed because of a land slide. Get the Butler Maps and ride every road in yellow.

Last edited:
The section just north of Cass is closed. I'll try to find the link to the full info and post back.

The wife and I were on 23 on Sep 22. While I was pulled over looking at the map a local came up and gave me these directions:
Google Map
Most of it is a dirt road, but we drove it in a Nissan Versa. Click the image to watch the video. (My wife has not been down many dirt roads.)
20150920_165514-M.jpg

23 was washed out just north of Cass when I was up there in mid August. That put me taking a gravel road out of Oark instead of going back south and adding 2 hours to my ride.

If you have time to make it that way, hit 103 up to oark. It was a great road. From there 23 should be good to come back down on your way out.

And +1 on the Butler maps. Was great to have for my trip up there.

Last edited:
The wife and I were on 23 on Sep 22. While I was pulled over looking at the map a local came up and gave me these directions:
Google Map
Most of it is a dirt road, but we drove it in a Nissan Versa. Click the image to watch the video. (My wife has not been down many dirt roads.)

I rode that bypass on my Super Tenere on Saturday 10/3. It was pretty rough in a few places and steep if going from 215 North. It is rideable at a slow pace on almost any bike, but street bike riders aren't going to like it.

There is a great overlook on East Fly Gap Rd when you are almost back to 23 if you spot it.

From the road.

20151003_140943-L.jpg

From on top of the rocks.

IMGP1944-L.jpg

IMGP1943-L.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I had a GPS for my last trip up there, but this was what the landslide looked like when we were there. You can see a little trail up to the right that some guys were taking, but a bigger bike would have been tough. The drop right in front of us was about 3 feet down. Buddy who lives in the area says it should be open again right at the end of this month.

15.jpg

Plan more than 2 days and head north if you can. The Mena area is a good start but the real good roads are jasper and beyond. Buy new tires, allow extra time as you only average 45 mph unless in race mode.

Myself, JMZ, and SilverBullet just got back on Sunday from the Super Tenere Rally in Marble Falls (Harrison) and I can confirm that the Pig Trail is still closed due to land slide. But there is still plenty of excellent pavement and lots of great gravel if your on the right bike. Well worth the trip.

The rally HQ was at The Hub in Marble Falls which is central to lots of great riding in NW Arkansas. If your looking for luxury 5 Star accommodations, this is the wrong place, but if you want a clean room, soft bed, hot shower, and an excellent inexpensive restaurant, then this is a great choice.

And I just have to add that the owners of the hub are really great people.

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

As said above, The Hub is good but not five star. If you stay there ask for a renovated room on the west side. Lots of good places to stay in Harrison, which is ten miles north of The Hub in Marble Falls.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

My trip is now only going to be a 3 day total, with getting there and back taking most of day 1 and 3, leaving just 1 day of actual riding in the area.

Assuming I want to start and end my day in Mena, can anyone recommend any loops? I have a friend that recommended Magazine Mountain, but I just don't want to waste my one day on less than the best roads.

Thanks

Back