• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New experience

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
Late Tuesday ride with a couple of guys at SHNF. There was a rider wanting to join us, no problem. 20 something guy with older Suzuki DRZ400. As we got ready to go we noticed NO gear. Nothing, boots, helmet, eyewear,gloves. We highly recommended he not go, but it's his life and not our decision.

Well somehow he survived, kept up amazingly, and learned the need for gesr.

Not that either!

Heck I don't test ride a bike in the yard w/o a helmet! No confidence I guess. and this guy rode very fast in some rough forest trails. smh He promised to come back again with gear.

Friend of mine just had to start his bike one last time before heading to CO for a weeks long ride. Went to his garage, no boots, foot slipped and he needed 12 big stitches. He sat in the lodge while everyone had a great time on the trails. Listen to Woodsguy.

I use to rode with the minimum gear I had to (DoD rules). Now, I can barely imagine doing that. Heck, every day that passes is, I'm sure, one day closer to ATGATT for me. Really, all I'm missing is the pants. I wear the rest of it ATT. I guess I roll MOTGATT.

I hate to think back to when I was a kid in the 70's with my open face metal flaked helmet. I did wear it, but that was the only thing I had. No boots, gloves, facesheild, gogggles. I was lucky to never ate it hard.

I hate to think back to when I was a kid in the 70's with my open face metal flaked helmet. I did wear it, but that was the only thing I had. No boots, gloves, facesheild, gogggles. I was lucky to never ate it hard.

same, lol :doh:

'known only when known'

I think I was ATGAAT before it was cool. :rider:

Even on the TS100 with the open face and the bubble shield I'd nearly always wear a Levi jacket, denim jeans, boots, and gloves. Mostly because of all the skinned palms, elbows, and knees from riding dirt.

Once, during a brief foray into contact lenses, I caught a fly in my eye after having removed the shield from the helmet, and learned the value of eye protection. Had to get a doctor to remove the fly parts. Haven't gone for a ride without glasses and/or face shield since.

Back in the 80's I did a short venture into riding sans helmet on the street for a while, just to see what that was like after reading Easy Rider Magazine for a few years. Quickly learned a few lessons that clearly demonstrated how much more comfortable I could be with than without.

Everybody will find what works for them. Eventually. Or not. :doh:

Learning to ride within my limits was the best protection I ever put on hands-down, but I had to pay for that piece of gear too...

Heck, yesterday, I went to SHNF and forgot my chest protestor. Rode but felt naked, lol. Not sure how much they really help but wear it. And yes riding with in your limits help but things still happen, trust me! Sure you know that.

I used to ride with a guy that was a very good woods rider. One day he was making a clutch adjustment in his garage and fired it up for a quick spin down the street to test his work. Dirt knobby slipped on the pavement and his head slammed the concrete curb. He was in the hospital for months and never rode again. Permanent brain damage. only takes a second and one bad decision.

Local car dealer started selling chi scooter back in '08 and discovered they get brought back for service...a lot. He's a big tall fellow and would just jump on one to take it around the block for appraisal - no gear at all. One slip, one curb and months in the hospital later... still walks with one heckuva limp.

We all see these folks show up with a helmet and gloves. Man, with my lack of skills I need all the gear I can get.

The problem is, if he crashed, while its his choice,... Any one of us would feel obligated to stop and help him out. Which would end your day at the least. The more experiences I have, the less accommodating I've become.

Late Tuesday ride with a couple of guys at SHNF. There was a rider wanting to join us, no problem. 20 something guy with older Suzuki DRZ400. As we got ready to go we noticed NO gear. Nothing, boots, helmet, eyewear,gloves. We highly recommended he not go, but it's his life and not our decision.

Well somehow he survived, kept up amazingly, and learned the need for gesr.

The problem is, if he crashed, while its his choice,... Any one of us would feel obligated to stop and help him out. Which would end your day at the least. The more experiences I have, the less accommodating I've become.

I agree, on this ride I wasn't the ride " leader", so I either went along with it or I rode by myself! lol Off we went.

Went to Munster back in the early 90's, following a CR500 up a hill and took a baseball size rock to the chest. Needless to say, I've worn a chest protector ever since.

Went to Munster back in the early 90's, following a CR500 up a hill and took a baseball size rock to the chest. Needless to say, I've worn a chest protector ever since.

That gives me pause to rethink my gear. I've got the boots and helmet but nothing else yet [emoji85]
I'll be careful not to follow closely till I get all geared up. (Desperately seeking dirt)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my brain and I like my skin. Replacement parts are hard to find and I'm getting too old to grow new ones. Some days I imagine wind in my face and sun on my head. Then I remember how much a fast-moving grasshopper hurts even through my jacket and I get over it quick. :thumb:

I took a quail to the chest once. But that was 20+ years ago. And yet I ride with minimal protection. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back