• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

two steps on sticker

I think the extra charge is for postage and handling. If you walk into the court house they can hand you the tag. From anywhere else you have to pay shipping. Even if you mail it into the court house there is an extra dollar charge.

Remember, the state doesn't run the operation like a business, they have an agenda to collect "X" amount for each registration. You will pay extra for the "convenience" of being able to do it from home or via a private sector business-place.

Convenience. They know that anybody who's ever stood through the line back in the good old days will gladly pay the extra buck. I remember back in the early 80s having to take half a day's vacation to handle that. So yeah, it's a bargain.

I would bet big money that it costs the state more to process a transaction in person than by mail. Centralized/streamlined mail operations with minimal incremental costs versus hundreds of satellite offices with thousands of additional staffing required. Yes a convenience for us and they just bilk an extra buck in the process because they can.

_

I would bet big money that it costs the state more to process a transaction in person than by mail. Centralized/streamlined mail operations with minimal incremental costs versus hundreds of satellite offices with thousands of additional staffing required. Yes a convenience for us and they just bilk an extra buck in the process because they can.

_

It does. And they know it. And they know that we know it. And I'll still gladly pay the buck, plus the $2 fee for using my credit card.

If you think back, about 10-15 years ago when lots of businesses started doing web and mail transactions, everybody was charging extra for it. In most cases, those charges fell along the wayside for two reasons: (1) competition, and (2) they realized how much less mail & web cost than the brick/mortar part of their business.

The state realizes about the cost part now, but they have no incentive by competition do anything differently. Besides, they depend on the revenue stream for their operation. If they gave up all those $1 transaction fees, they'd have to make it up somewhere else. I wouldn't rock that boat.

So does this new process apply to motorcycles or not? I'm thinking it's a cager only thing. I see this blurb listed as the second FAQ under the Miscellaneous section of this webpage...
http://twostepsonesticker.com/resources

I have a motorcycle. Will the process or sticker design change?
No. There are no changes to the process or the design of the sticker.

So does this new process apply to motorcycles or not? I'm thinking it's a cager only thing. I see this blurb listed as the second FAQ under the Miscellaneous section of this webpage...

That means the process is no different for motorcycles than for cars and your current registration sticker will not change either.

_

I read that as telling us that the little white sticker we get for our plate is not changing design. Then again, I might be confused.

_

no it don't, those are county employees! the on line and in store and mail registration is handled by sub contractors and they like to be paid, that buck is for them.

the "green" sheet you have to get when transferring a out of state vehicle to Texas, the inspection place gets that money not the state.

Texas some years back started to take the inspection process completely in house, you would have been required to take your vehicle to a state inspection center to get it inspected.
it got killed at the last minute after a ton of money had been spent on building the inspection centers.

nearly half to a bunch more you pay for a inspection sticker goes to the inspector, why is a single buck to HEB or Kroger to do your registration a problem?

for motorcycles we get to ditch the plate the inspection sticker goes on.
and the little white sticker that goes on the plate will remain the same.

you will need to keep and carry the VIR for that motorcycle just in case.

yes the inspection will go in a database but the data base is not accessed from satellite, and not all law enforcement agencies can maintain full time contact with computer systems so you need to keep your receipt in case you get pulled over on 302 in Loving county or Big Bend or when the system crashes (and it will).

I cannot quote the source, but I recall somehting about your inspection being entered into a database. If that is true, "on-line" registration would remain viable. Living close to a lake with several boat ramps, trailers without working lights is a big problem. While I hate a nanny gov't, I am in favor of ensuring vehicles on the road meet a specific safety minimum.

I cannot quote the source, but I recall somehting about your inspection being entered into a database. If that is true, "on-line" registration would remain viable. Living close to a lake with several boat ramps, trailers without working lights is a big problem. While I hate a nanny gov't, I am in favor of ensuring vehicles on the road meet a specific safety minimum.

One plate , many trailers.

Back