• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Maderas Del Carmen, an Odyssey. Part one and may 2.

Mudd Missile

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Let me wet your pick by showing you this short but beautiful video of our intended and some sort of eluding destination. After you watch it, you will understand why we are drawn to go there.

https://youtu.be/xySpvolgUY0

Hopefully I got your attention now!

Let me tell you a bit of background about the planning of this trip. It all started a few years back when two well known explorers, JTand Milton, decided to find a way through the mountains of Sierra Madre oriental to connect with Ojinaga on the other side and arrive about the time Uncles around the Bend would be starting. The later came and went and the two intrepid riders never showed up, at least by the time we left. Anyway, some of us heard of the attempt and decided to give another try. Iz and I contacted one of the intrepid explorers, JT, and the decision was made to go back and finish the deal. However, after talking a bit more about it, we decided that Maderas Del Carmen was good enough of a place to make it a final destination, a place that we could spend some time exploring and getting to know up close and personal. JT had collected lots of intelligence during the first attempt and between him and Iz planned a good route with known places where we could get fuel and water. We recruited our fourth compadre, Stingray, and made all the logistical plans needed to complete our mission.

The trip took place during MLK holiday weekend. We would camp 3 nights and ride 4 days. This schedule would give us plenty of time to ride around and explore the area. We checked the weather and it looked perfect. We all met in Junction and loaded all the bikes on IZ's trailer. We headed down to Del Rio where we dropped the truck and trailer and rode into Mexico. Our plan was to cross early enough and ride about 120miles to our first camp.

To be continued:

We went through customs with no issues and made a quick stop to exchange some local currency. By the way, my 100 pesos from the last trip devaluated since now the exchange was @ 17 instead of 12 pesos per dollar. We headed out of town and hit the last PMEX to tap the tanks. We were planning on refueling in an ejido about 50 miles from Acuna. We arrived at the ejido and found out that nobody was selling fuel. We discussed our situation and made the assumptions that there would not be fuel in Morelos, a smaller ejido ahead of us. It was getting late and we only had a coupke of hours of daylight. We headed to campA1 deep in the foot hills.

https://youtu.be/xvxUaO3j6JA

Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

I've been poring over Google Earth, Bing, and NASA maps for the last month or so with the exact idea.
There are trails and roads that could occupy weeks, rarely riding the same place twice.

I've yet to find a route that would take me clean through that range. I keep running in to apparent dead ends at about 80-90 % through.

I'm looking forward to reading more, and learning a solution.
Chris

Last edited:
Excellent! Thanks for sharing.

I've been poring over Google Earth, Bing, and NASA maps for the last month or so with the exact idea.
There are trails and roads that could occupy weeks, rarely riding the same place twice.

I've yet to find a route that would take me clean through that range. I keep running in to apparent dead ends at about 80-90 % through.

I'm looking forward to reading more, and learning a solution.
Chris
You are welcome! Make sure you bring plenty of fuel and water!

I finally found the missing link and created a very likely possible East West path through and I'm very curious if it's what you used.

I used the most recent Google, NASA, and Bing satellite imagery to finally find a piece of the puzzle that I was pretty sure existed.

None of this has been proofed on the ground by me. It's just one of many tracks I've been putting together with the intention of exploring some of them a little later this year.

Attachments

• Maderas del Carmen E W Passage.kmz
    18.4 KB · Views: 228
Sorry folks! Today I was drafted, or you may say volunteered to be part of a exploring committee by my boss. This, in addition to a second masters plus work and family, will prevent me from spending time working on the report. It will be postpone until further notice. Thanks!

Edwin! you big tease.

Man it sux to be volunteered. (Well, sux for us anyway.)

Maybe the tale will be taken up by one of the other intrepid explorers...

Sorry folks! Today I was drafted, or you may say volunteered to be part of a exploring committee by my boss. This, in addition to a second masters plus work and family, will prevent me from spending time working on the report. It will be postpone until further notice. Thanks!

You mean volunTOLD.
I'll be waiting for your return to this thread.:coffee:

Back