• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

RV with motorcycle vs motorcycle camping

I had a travel trailer rig years ago. I tried a 28' Holiday Rambler, a Tent Camper, and a Hi-Lo. The headaches of getting there as one poster pointed out, plus the maintenance, plus the cost,... just didn't outweigh the benefits. Also, the rig I had relegated me to very groomed and cookie-cutter campgrounds that were more like hotels than camping. And I grew up trailering with my folks. Just not my cup of tea.

These days its 100% motorcycle camping/cabins for most trips or luxury hotels on the opposite end. I've camped in all kinds of weather, including one trip where we had to scrape the ice/snow off the ground a few nights when setting up camp. That being said, on a motorcycle when I see bad weather, if its possible I go in another direction. Camping without restrictive reservations is a big attraction for me. We call it The Drift.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The only catch 22 about trying to put a bike rack on the back of an RV trailer may be the fact that a bike might be pretty heavy. an XT is going to be a lot more friendly mounted there than a Vstrom of any CC range for sure. I know the DL650 is somewhat lighter than a DL1000 but not a whole lot.

Jay, I have been considering the same thoughts lately. Been considering a trailer my own self almost identical to tricepilot's. My only caveat is I will probably need to get a long bed truck in order to do it because otherwise my tailgate would be down and I imagine it would make it impossible to get the trailer on the hitch. In that light, I really like my Frontier and considering it's about half paid for I'd rather not start over so maybe I can get TossingLead to mention the make and model of his trailer because it looks like a toy hauler with some camping provisions!!!!

I will see him tomorrow and will ask. I know he got it out in Georgia for a really good price, with the windows and awning installed.
If you are thinking cargo trailer order it with windows and awning, it`s a lot cheaper than having them added later, like less than half. I made that mistake, and its almost cheaper to sell what I have and order another with the stuff already installed..
Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Rob, if I remember correctly the Hydralift is rated at between 1000-1500lbs, they are the lift of choice for those people bringing along their full dresser hogs. With the tank empty I'll be less than 500lbs with the wee and even more with an XT.

As stated, there are always going to be pro's/con's no matter which way I choose. Motorcycle/tent stuck in 30 degrees will suck just as much has having to be in an RV park full of other RV's instead of off the beating path. I believe my attitude will really make it or break it more than anything. To be honest, I don't think I would be disappointed nor hate driving an RV from destination to destination, especially knowing that I will have everything (probably a bit more) than a hotel room for about $40 a night. Yeah I know there is $200 in fuel to be bought, but I will probably be filling up only monthly. I plan to stay at each place the max of 14 days allowed.

I also don't plan on staying in the park at all other than really bad weather. I will be gone from sun up to sun down enjoying all the roads around where I am. Probably the only thing that bothers me is the up keep. But, I won't own anything but that equipment and I am NOT buying new. There are hundreds of nice RV's for a quarter of what the original people bought them for. At least I'll be using it.

I may do the first year with just the bike/tent and see how it goes. I can always "upgrade" whenever/wherever I want too. I think the only thing really holding me back and this is probably just more of an excuse is being deaf. I'm not a trusting person by nature and don't know how well I would do being in tent every night unless I knew I would be at some sort of park every night. Even then, I would have no idea if someone was right next to the tent and taking everything. At least in an RV I can lock everything up including myself!! It's hard to explain the feeling I have about that.

My rig sold for $268,000 new, the second owner paid $170,000 after six years and I paid much less than that. There's a point where the big yearly depreciation falls off and it's different for each type of RV. The trick is finding the one that's been well maintained over that time and not the one that's been abused. It's normally not hard to tell which is which, but it can take a long time to find the one out of 50 that was pampered. I've found its much easier to find a motor home that's been stored inside than a 5th wheel or trailer.

Rob, if I remember correctly the Hydralift is rated at between 1000-1500lbs, they are the lift of choice for those people bringing along their full dresser hogs. With the tank empty I'll be less than 500lbs with the wee and even more with an XT.

As stated, there are always going to be pro's/con's no matter which way I choose. Motorcycle/tent stuck in 30 degrees will suck just as much has having to be in an RV park full of other RV's instead of off the beating path. I believe my attitude will really make it or break it more than anything. To be honest, I don't think I would be disappointed nor hate driving an RV from destination to destination, especially knowing that I will have everything (probably a bit more) than a hotel room for about $40 a night. Yeah I know there is $200 in fuel to be bought, but I will probably be filling up only monthly. I plan to stay at each place the max of 14 days allowed.

I also don't plan on staying in the park at all other than really bad weather. I will be gone from sun up to sun down enjoying all the roads around where I am. Probably the only thing that bothers me is the up keep. But, I won't own anything but that equipment and I am NOT buying new. There are hundreds of nice RV's for a quarter of what the original people bought them for. At least I'll be using it.

I may do the first year with just the bike/tent and see how it goes. I can always "upgrade" whenever/wherever I want too. I think the only thing really holding me back and this is probably just more of an excuse is being deaf. I'm not a trusting person by nature and don't know how well I would do being in tent every night unless I knew I would be at some sort of park every night. Even then, I would have no idea if someone was right next to the tent and taking everything. At least in an RV I can lock everything up including myself!! It's hard to explain the feeling I have about that.

A friend of mine bought his large motorhome in southern Arizona for a song. Lots of "snowbirds" winter there and trade theirs in for newer ones. Supply and demand. As for being Deaf, these folks sell stuff that can alert you to noises nearby ( http://www.harriscomm.com/ ). There are several phone apps that will let you know about noises.

None of us can predict what you want. Everything has advantages and disadvantages, and what is which depends on every individual. I've seen a custom $350,000 semi tractor hauling a $2,500,000 custom 53-foot RV trailer with electro-hydraulic trays for lifting and loading a couple $50,000 customized Electro-Glides. I've seen steel channel welded across the remains of a $100 former city government salt spreading pickup's rusted out bed to haul a couple beat up $75 former Miami Beach rental Honda SL70s. Both made it coast-to-coast. Both couples had wonderful trips.

You can spend $3,000,000. You can spend $250. What is important to you?

What is important to me is safety, security, and convenience. You have two bikes. Good choices, too. I'd have to take them both, so that means a trailer. Maybe a small trailer, pulling the 250 behind the 650 at moderate speed a few hundred miles between base camps. Don't laugh, could be done.

More reasonable would be a used enclosed vehicle or vehicle and trailer that would carry your bikes securely and safely and camp accommodations from flea markets and Walmart and such. This will limit your required initial investment and make it much easier to upgrade those items important to you over time. Once you get out there doing it you'll run across millions of other people's solutions, and some will stick.

My solution, after being born in a travel trailer and living in everything from government surplus pup tents to a 2800 square foot house, has been a work van no windows with camp accommodations for me and trailer for bikes, tools, and outdoor gear. A raised roof is nice. Of course, how handy you are with tools may limit your selections, but since I've done my share of customizing over the years I get exactly what I want. I don't do without or tolerate bells and whistles cluttering my life. Custom rocks.

Very easy to park a work looking vehicle most anywhere, because either someone works there or a worker lives there. Some RV parks do not allow homebuilt rigs so not welcome there. Walmart publishes a list of stores where overnight parking is not allowed, but any store open 24 hours is generally good for a few hours sleep. Almost all rest areas and name brand truck stops and travel centers are good for a nap any time day or night.

Best all around rig I ever had for just me was a 1978 Ford extended bed E350 with a 351. It was originally a plumber's van, but he wore it out. The body was still solid, the running gear cheap to overhaul, and I came across a wrecked Class B with a raised roof. Bought new seats, insulated and carpeted, bolted in a nice shower and bed, room to spare. Came with a Class 3 hitch receiver so no problem hooking an enclosed 8x6 box trailer. Ended up with about $5400 in the entire project, did all the work myself, and with new paint looked good enough to fit in anywhere. If a man really wanted to build quick, he could be on the road in about 6 weeks doing all the work himself. If I win the lottery I'll build something similar, but newer. Works for me.

For the record, JRW, there's almost never a need to stay in a private RV park where you're lined up wheel to wheel with other RVs. Well, unless you just need a place to crash for the night when you're passing through Amarillo or someplace. Picture any kind of RV, from a motorcycle & tent to a motorhome on a Bluebird chassis, and you'll find them in rustic national forest campgrounds. There are very few campgrounds I've seen that can't accommodate a hefty sized trailer, or most motor homes.

I've seen alot of these in the basin at big bend and in some of the most remote backcountry site. This would be a light, easily towable basics RV. I'm sure there is a way to work a dualsport into the equation.
http://www.aliner.com/campers

HTML:
[ATTACH]36963.vB[/ATTACH]
Over the years I've tried everything from carrying a one person backpacking tent to my current set up pulling a pickup behind a motorhome with both a WR 250 and a Harley touring bike. Before that, I used a hitch carrier to haul a KLR and then a BMW F650 GS behind a GMC yukon being pulled with a motorhome. I spend my summers in the mountains of New Mexico or Colorado and, right now, I'm near Medina in the hill country for a couple of months. The heavier dual sports didn't seem to work well on the highway or the mountain passes, so I had to come up with a way to take both a lighter dual sport and a road bike.

I'm in awe of people who can get a heavy bike in and out of a pickup truck without either dropping it or somehow killing themselves. :clap:

If the intent is full time camping on the road, then you'll probably not like traditional bike camping with a tent for long. That works good for a week or two, but camping 11 months out of the year will take a toll. It comes down to budget and taste really. You can go motorhome (class a or c), which will give you some space for inclement weather. They make lift hitches that work for bikes as big as full dressed hogs. The downside is that they can't get into remote camping areas.

You could go class b, which is basically a converted van. Not as much space, but can go some places the others can't reach.

Or, you can use a truck with a towable camper. There are many variables in these from the popup a-frame to large travel trailers. I would suggest staying with hard sides, not canvas, for full timing. I have a high wall popup, about the size of the a-frame. I get the same mpg in my f250, whether I'm towing it or not (about 16mpg). You can always use whatever camper you have as a base, and go out and motorcycle camp with a tent. One of the advantages to a tow behind is that you drop off your camper at the campground and you can use your truck to go get groceries/supplies and have maintenance done without being homeless. You just need to be sure you're not overtaxing the truck's suspension or brakes.

It sounds like a blast! The trick is to figure out where you want to camp (state parks, county parks, off a dirt road, etc...) and get something that works for you. Chances are your needs will change, so think flexibility. Have fun, I'm envious!

I have a three-piece ramp and each piece folds in half and stores in the back seat of the pick up when traveling. I ride the big bike up the ramp with both feet on the ramp. I then move the ramp to the left and take the small bike up. Works like a charmwith airbags on the pick up to even the load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be REAL careful when planning to load a bike of any significant weight on the back bumper of a travel trailer. The shift in tongue weight could change a pleasant trip into a dangerous white knuckle never do that again kind of deal.

Sent from my cheyenne mountain when the NSA wasn't looking.

16f95cea8191f6936d920fe8108dc5d1.jpg
lots of ways to do this. I like to set up camp and daytrip from there. at 67, creature comforts are critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be REAL careful when planning to load a bike of any significant weight on the back bumper of a travel trailer. The shift in tongue weight could change a pleasant trip into a dangerous white knuckle never do that again kind of deal.

I agree, never put weight on back of a travel trailer! I was referring to a hitch on a motorhome.

The way you phrased the question was "if you had a choice", well, here's how I'd do it:

i-7sfPrnm-L.jpg

I'd throw my KTM 500 in the back of a truck w/a couple of ramps, and take off with a 17' Casita

Moab, the desert Southwest, Arkansas, etc.

This way I wouldn't have to pack anything but water, tubes, and tools on the bike.

:tab So to me, it really boils down to what kind of riding do you want to be able to do along the way? Paved only? Paved and mild DS? Paved and serious DS? DS only? That kind of dictates a lot in my view.

:tab For me, the setup in Bob's pic would be ideal, but I'd want my KTM 530 EXC and my 1200 GS.

:tab If I were going to do the one bike road trip thing with lots of camping, I'd pack up the 1200 GS and go. A few nights a week, I'd find a decent hotel for showers, a softish bed, and a real toilet. You can spend a LOT of nights in hotels before it adds up to the costs of running some kind of big RV (purchase cost, fuel, maintenance, etc,...). However, by going on one bike you limit your riding opportunities. Also, unless you are comfortable with leaving belongings at a camp side while you are out riding, you have to carry EVERYTHING on you all the time, unless you leave it in a hotel room. There is still the risk of shifty hotel staff messing with things :wary:

:tab I've done a few of the camp off the bike trips with the KTM 530. Even with really minimal gear, there is considerable weight added to the bike. When the going gets rough, NOT having that weight is nice. So I like the idea of getting to a place, setting up base camp, then spending time riding in the area carrying only the minimum of tools, tubes, etc... like Bob mentioned. I'd still want the GS though because sometimes it is just nice to do a good long ride on the paved stuff, with maybe some unpaved here and there.

:tab For the length of time you mentioned and since you would be alone, I would be looking for something between minimalist and big in terms of an RV. One of those tiny tear drop trailer things wouldn't cut it. However, I don't need the giant luxury RV either. Something like the trailer shown in Bob's post would be ideal. After all, you might be spending a few days in a row holed up riding out nasty weather and something really small, or a tent, would get old REAL fast!! I used to live in a 38 ft travel trailer in college by myself. It had plenty of space, but even that made me feel a bit stir crazy if I had to be in it more than a few days in a row.

12 x 7 V-nose cargo trailer
Dexter single axle with brakes
6'3" interior height
Insulated
Barn doors rear
36' RV door side
Vinyl ceiling panels
3 windows: one in door and other two on sides
Stabilizer jacks on rear
2 roof vents
Awning

1300 lbs empty 3000 GVM

E-Track 16" off the floor on either side to hold wheel chock keeps the floor clean so there is nothing to stump your toes on. I bolts come out (T-nuts under the floor so 3/8 hole is all the is)

A large cot when I'm by myself. 2 cots easily, 3 may be crowded.

Can hold 4 dirt bikes (DRZ size) or 2 bagged Adventure bikes easily w/room for a dirt bike up front.

Barn doors are easier to work with and the the trailer is low so a folding ramp works fine.

A 1800watt portable heater keep it warm when it was 21* outside.

I have a battery bank, inverter, and 30A service to put in when I find some time.

Will get a portable AC before the heat gets here. Roof top cost more and add to the over all height

Cargo trailers are built a little better then a RV for hauling bikes and you can build it the way you want it.

Lots of website for Cargo Trailer Conversion out there.

Versatility is what I was looking for and this works so for now.

A6751A4E-A5DC-4CBA-AFF0-09AFA43D9393_zps4dlw0kgw.jpg

3D45C877-06EB-49C8-8A85-598AA9840574_zpsgrev0m72.jpg

? that cargo trailer is the way to go Jeff ! Hauls more bikes ? & esp if you can build it out for what you need. If I were not a rug rat raiser thats the way I'd go.
Now days a hot water shower, full beds, refrigerator & kitchen & most importantly the DVD player for Iron man or tenage mutant ninja turtles is a must.
You should look at an Olympic Wave heater for your V nose. Those things work great. I have one in the toy hauler & had one in the casita.

Once again, thank you everyone for all the inputs, thoughts, experiences and more. All of this information actually gives me more to think on, but will ultimately help me decide. I'm just in the planning stages right now, plus I want to make sure I have plenty of time to look for the best deal. I'm actually liking the idea of possibly finishing out a trailer or may even consider doing the box van kit. So many different styles to choose from!

I am fortunate enough to have camped both ways.
It depends on the distance, weather, event, and time as far as what I choose.
If there is a close by campout weekend, within Texas, I will opt for my gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters, aka, the "Hilton". This is luxury camping with all the amenities of home! What's even better is I can carry 2 bikes in the horse compartment, and fill the truck bed full of firewood! Nothing better than riding for a day and coming back to camp for a hot shower, friends around a fire, and all the food and refreshments you may want. Also, I can fall asleep watching my favorite flicks such as CHiPs and Wonder Woman in a warm comfortable bed. Yes, I'm spoiled......
On the other hand, I have done my share of tent camping off the bike. These are usually longer, out of state trips, or ideal weather campouts in Texas. Nothing better than knowing all you need to survive is carried on your motorcycle. Yes, you don't have all you would in a trailer, but your needs are less and you just have to compromise on whats really necessary for your trip. Trust me, I always mail back 10 lbs plus of stuff I find that is not needed after 3 or 4 days on the road. I have set up camp day after day numerous times, one time 18 days in a row. You will be tired at the end of some days, and it will seem like a hassle to set up camp when all you want to do is sit and relax. But, all I can say is its a passion, and if you love what you do, it will become easier each night and teach you what's right and wrong. You will be a pro on the 19th day and be able to do it blindfolded! Theres a great sense of accomplishment in working so hard to have so much fun. I love tent camping, really when the weather is perfect and if you have the perfect tent for the seasons. Zypher will attest to the fact, I HATE sand and dew! This will NOT be an issue in a trailer. This can be very aggravating, which leads to lack of sleep, and just plain unenjoyable!
But, there's a time for each. I love my trailer for party weekends, but no way I can pull that beast
offroad across the Continental Divide, so tent camping definitely has its advantages !
Good luck ! Just do what feels right to you!

Last edited:
I'm pretty much tent/hammock only from the bike. A few years back I did a 10 night loop through BB & Hill country. The last night rather than set up another tent in the rain I rented a "cabin" (cinder block hut) in a state park. Car camping I have a large cabin tent with cots and such. I image I could get the Strom on a trailer and pull it with the Forester and be under the weight limit... Having been to many camp-outs, I have become partial to the cargo trailer / camper set-up. Once you have the trailer you can build it out over time.
However, my next step will be to fab a small gear trailer for the bike so my daughter who just started riding with me this year can come along on a few camp-outs.

Nice educational thread.
Gaylen and I have discussed the motorhome, trailer, camper options and both of us are not really interested in the hassle, maintenance and cost of any of that. WE travel with the Harley towing a Kwik Kamp pop-up or the Triumph Explorer towing a cargo trailer with camping gear. We camped the whole summer for 3 months through the eastern seaboard, maritime islands in Canada, up to Newfoundland and Labrador using a Redverze tent with cots and all the luxuries. We motelled maybe 4 nights. The whole 15000 mile trip was comfortable, even in cold rainstorms when we were stuck in the tent. We had movies recorded with a speaker bluetoothed to the I pad and waited out the storms.
We would camp in a place and spend anything from 2 nights to 10 days in a place depending on the area and how much we liked it. Never missed the hard roof and truck cab thing.
Around here with the pie runs an M&Gs we camp at least one night because most of them is down south more than 4 hours away. Never had to abort and motel yet. With all that said Gaylen is mid 60s and I am pushing 70 and we still find all this very manageable.

12 x 7 V-nose cargo trailer
Dexter single axle with brakes
6'3" interior height
Insulated
Barn doors rear
36' RV door side
Vinyl ceiling panels
3 windows: one in door and other two on sides
Stabilizer jacks on rear
2 roof vents
Awning

1300 lbs empty 3000 GVM

E-Track 16" off the floor on either side to hold wheel chock keeps the floor clean so there is nothing to stump your toes on. I bolts come out (T-nuts under the floor so 3/8 hole is all the is)

A large cot when I'm by myself. 2 cots easily, 3 may be crowded.

Can hold 4 dirt bikes (DRZ size) or 2 bagged Adventure bikes easily w/room for a dirt bike up front.

Barn doors are easier to work with and the the trailer is low so a folding ramp works fine.

A 1800watt portable heater keep it warm when it was 21* outside.

I have a battery bank, inverter, and 30A service to put in when I find some time.

Will get a portable AC before the heat gets here. Roof top cost more and add to the over all height

Cargo trailers are built a little better then a RV for hauling bikes and you can build it the way you want it.

Lots of website for Cargo Trailer Conversion out there.

Versatility is what I was looking for and this works so for now.

Jeff has given this subject as much or more thought, time & pondering than most respondents AND has developed A PLAN

he & his family have explored the vast majority of the above suggestions and settled on one that works for him/them

i have gone from minimalistic, hammock camping off the skoot

hammockinLlanoll_zpsa9bbf35e.jpg

to cargo trailer camping/riding

DR%20in%20trlr_zps2b7xu4ly.jpg

all the way up to the luxury rolling condo w/ the skoot in tow

IMG_0293_zpsb90170df.jpg

each method has it's place in the scheme of things, for me

what are you really trying to achieve has to be answered FIRST

then & only then can YOU really come to a conclusion that answers the OP

GOOD LUCK W/ YOUR QUEST

sw

Back