• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yes they make an Ohlins Shock for the Big Ruckus!

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I got my Ohlins HO 839 shock in yesterday. So I decided to install her. I took lots of pictures so I wouldn't have to type as much, so here goes.

Here is the box and how she was packed.

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

Put the scooter on the center stand, a small block of wood under the wheel, and I removed the rear tray.

IMG_0203.jpg

Removed the top bolt

IMG_0204.jpg

Removed the bottom bolt and the holder for the brake line. I will replace this with a flexible metal one as soon as I get one. For now I removed it and there will be no issue. But I have to put something there to satisfy my OCD.

IMG_0205.jpg

Here we are at halfway done, the Ohlins is about 5 mm or so shorter, but is much more stiffly sprung, so it was a wash. My BR sits higher with the Ohlins, which is what I wanted.

IMG_0207.jpg

The upper mount is slightly narrower than the the stocker, so they give you a washer to space the top, I thought it wouldn't be enough, but it was perfect. So I put the top in

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Then the bottom

IMG_02143.jpg

And Bob's your Uncle!

IMG_02163.jpg

After the short ride, I can say, as I expected, the bike is more plush, and the rear has a better stance. I bet the headlight will point correctly now, as well. I could adjust it, but this way was much more fun. So here she is all finished. Over the last two weeks, I installed the Dr.Pulley variator with 19g weights, the HiT Clutch with a blue spring and yellow springs, I changed to 45/102 jetting, and finally installed the Ohlins. My BR is much improved and acceleration to 50-60mph is much improved, and I can hold 60-65 mph up most hills. Of course the cost was around $1100.00, but I got my BR for $1000, so I am only $2100.00 into it with a fully modified, 3600 mile scooter. Not too bad. I will look into exhaust and such next. But I do like that it is quiet, so I may just drill the 5/8 hole and stop there. Maybe play with the variator/clutch weights and springs. But most likely I will just ride her around a lot.

IMG_0220.jpg

Good write up. Nice mods too. I always liked the Big Rukus. If you see another one for around that price please hollar and it will be mine. ENJOY !!!

There's just something nice about that yellow Ohlins color on anything.... :clap:

now you need the forks to go with the shock!
orig_img-8664-jpg-05.jpg

hmmm a big bore kit is not that expensive for one of those.

Sweet! Can I exchange my waitlist spot for the SD toward dibs on the BR?

It surprises me a little that there's an Öhlins for the BR, but it doesn't surprise me at all that you found it AND installed it. :mrgreen:

They (the guys on Totalruckus.com) (Chris, you knew I was a member there) say the big bore kits don't last.

IMG_1342.jpg

Chris, I will sell you the Super Duke with all my spares (Includes $700.00 R seat) for $7500.00 and I will, of course fix it for free if needed, sir. Now go away, or I will Taunt you a second time!

Doug

psych!

You know you want it! AND!!! The exhaust matches your shirt! LOL!

IMG_1557.jpg

Wait...he stepped out of line. I'm next!!!

Doug, you have a problem.

I can see it at the warehouse.
Guy1: "I gotta go pull that dusty ohlins box for the big Ruckus."
Guy2: "Somebody bought that????"
Guy3: "I know, right?"

There actually is another guy in Texas that bought one when I did. We had to wait two weeks for the factory to build and ship. Bought it from Hard Racing LLC. Great folks. All in with the mods and purchase price I am way under Big Ruckus Retail. I got a great deal on it. Of course now, it would make your butt look big with all the yellow..........wait! Is that why you bought all the yellow stuff, Jasen? To make your butt look bigger?? LOL

As to the Super Duke, I am waiting on the 1290 to arrive and will probably trade the Superduke and RC8R for one straight up if I can swing it, so if you are after the Superduke, you better get there, I think the Superdukes will be in within 30 days or so. Hee Hee!

14_duke_hypermotard-track-15.jpg

Somebody has MBS, I am available to assist in keeping the tires round. You can get flat spots on those tire, you really do need my assistance.:trust:

And here I thought you weren't interested in the 1290. Dang I want one of those bad!!! I can't wait to ride yours. :D

Back