• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this route the year before you and I went to the State Park. Just running back from Marfa to Study Butte through the north side of the park, without a single detour, was about 135 miles IIRC and seemed like quite a ride. We arrived in Study Butte on fumes, with the WRX using all of it's whopping 2.0 gal tank. If we had played a bit we'd be forced to backtrack to Presidio for gas to make Study Butte.

Google maps puts your loop at 8h 18m and 275 miles going up Pinto Canyon. 294 if you go to Presidio for gas on the way home. I'd guess John and I did it in ~7 hours of riding with highway speeds of 65 - 70 on the DRZ400SM and WR250X and double prudent speeds on dirt. So, in a nutshell, I don't see there being a lot of extra time to play in the northern end of the State Park. I really enjoyed the riding you and I did up there. Roads the rangers hadn't themselves driven in 2 or 3 years...probably the least trafficked place I've ever been.

https://goo.gl/maps/bzeJYpSAiJC2

P

I hear ya. Probably gotta narrow down my sandbox for a one day’er. And yeah, that was a great trip hanging out and riding BBRSP - soul nourishing.

So - thinking the Chiso-Pinto loop Cannonshot wrote up as part of his outstanding BB write up on ADVRider.
i-X8FVrp6-XL.jpg

He pegs the loop from Presidio at 250 miles - add in the run to/from Study Butte and we’re talking 375 or so. One option I’m thinking about is loading the bike in the truck, leaving very early and unloading in Presidio. I know a safe place to leave vehicles (3 Palms). That won’t really save any time, but I’m more comfortable riding in the early to pre dawn in the truck and riding back in the dark the same way.

Only gas is in Presidio and Marfa along the wester route I’m discussing.

If you ride Chispa and someone finds they're on fumes when you exit to pavement, you can always detour ~20 miles to Van Horn. You'll have to backtrack of course but better than running out.

_

If you ride Chispa and someone finds they're on fumes when you exit to pavement, you can always detour ~20 miles to Van Horn. You'll have to backtrack of course but better than running out.

_

Good to know - thanks.

I love this event. Ive ridden it a few times. Last year I drove out with a new CRF450X that was not ready itself and I ended up missing the rides even though I did get to ride the beast down a few roads...and realized the difference between a DR650 and the CRF450X... My schedule again may not allow for it and at the moment I need a Dually...but Im gonna try to make it...

Is there another thread for route planning for this event? If so, please let me know where, if not here it is...

I have a proposition to big dual sport riders:
Friday: Terlingua to Marfa, down south on Pinto Canyon Road and then head north on 170 from Ruidosa and hit 2017 back towards US90 a bit north of Valentine Then whatever...
Saturday: Terlingua to Presidio and cross into Mexico at Ojinaga and visit Peguis canyon and head back ***will need passports but no other docs*** Time permitting, go back into USA, enter the park from Terlingua and ride Maverick road to Santa Elena Canyon(decent dirt with some sand washes but nothing too difficult really)

Please let me know if you would consider these two rides

Hi John, for the last few years, every time I cross into OJ, I have been asked for registration receipt or title. The border agents are asking for documents to prove ownership. A few times I have been allowed in with just a printed copy of my Texas insurance card to verify the VIN number.

It sure would screwup the trip if the agents refused to let you in because you couldn't provide a document to show you own the bike you're riding. Make it easy, bring the registration receipt.

Why is there no Tourist Visa and TVIP required at this crossing? Or do they overlook it if you say you're just going over for the day?

Why is there no Tourist Visa and TVIP required at this crossing? Or do they overlook it if you say you're just going over for the day?

It is not only the OJ crossing, it is ANY crossing.

Stay ~20 km from the border = No TVIP required
Stay less than 72 hours in above zone = No tourist visa required

Also half of Sonora and all of Baja California both Norte and Sur are Tourist hassle free zones. No TVIP ever required but a tourist visa is required for stays over 7 days.

_

Interesting, Richard's post about crossing over to Mex to visit the canyon indicated that there was no need. In any case, I suppose I can just carry the registration paper and give it a shot. If it works great, if not, we'll go ride something else on the US side. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hi John, for the last few years, every time I cross into OJ, I have been asked for registration receipt or title. The border agents are asking for documents to prove ownership. A few times I have been allowed in with just a printed copy of my Texas insurance card to verify the VIN number.

It sure would screwup the trip if the agents refused to let you in because you couldn't provide a document to show you own the bike you're riding. Make it easy, bring the registration receipt.

By the way if you are interested in these routes, please send an email or text me please. john_kalyoncuoglu@dell.com 512-4966627

Is there another thread for route planning for this event? If so, please let me know where, if not here it is...

I have a proposition to big dual sport riders:
Friday: Terlingua to Marfa, down south on Pinto Canyon Road and then head north on 170 from Ruidosa and hit 2017 back towards US90 a bit north of Valentine Then whatever...
Saturday: Terlingua to Presidio and cross into Mexico at Ojinaga and visit Peguis canyon and head back ***will need passports but no other docs*** Time permitting, go back into USA, enter the park from Terlingua and ride Maverick road to Santa Elena Canyon(decent dirt with some sand washes but nothing too difficult really)

Please let me know if you would consider these two rides

Heading down from Denton and have room on trailer for 1 or 2 more bikes. Also have a room with 2 beads 22-25 planes have changed now looking to split the cost of room, if not will try to change to a single. Even thanking about going down a day early for more riding

Good morning,

Can you please help me with a section on this route?

I can't figure out the section beginning from the end of 170 Candelaria ( north of Ruidosa) to where that hits 1017 coming down from US90

I tried google maps, garmin, google satellite and could not route that section.

Thanks in advance for the help

I hear ya. Probably gotta narrow down my sandbox for a one day’er. And yeah, that was a great trip hanging out and riding BBRSP - soul nourishing.

So - thinking the Chiso-Pinto loop Cannonshot wrote up as part of his outstanding BB write up on ADVRider.
i-X8FVrp6-XL.jpg

He pegs the loop from Presidio at 250 miles - add in the run to/from Study Butte and we’re talking 375 or so. One option I’m thinking about is loading the bike in the truck, leaving very early and unloading in Presidio. I know a safe place to leave vehicles (3 Palms). That won’t really save any time, but I’m more comfortable riding in the early to pre dawn in the truck and riding back in the dark the same way.

Last edited:
^^
170 continues north of Candelaria - or at least the road does - not sure if it is ofically 170 or not. It is unpaved and has a challenging hill to navigate known as Godzilla Hill.

Last edited:
Heading down to BB. Just booked room. First time riding dual sport in TX. Setting up XR650 as I speak. D606 rubber, Jetted, piped, new air filter and tank. I look forward to meeting with everyone. Anybody want to talk before the ride, I'm interested to hear more. Obviously, I'm more interested in the dirt. Doesn't look like any single track, nor do I see alot of elvation or grade change. I'm tempted to keep stock gearing for the mileage. Any body with an XR650 go with a smaller countershaft sprocket.

Thanks,
Jeff

Anybody in the Houston area feel like splitting gas and putting bikes in the back of my truck? I plan to pull a small camper too.

It is not only the OJ crossing, it is ANY crossing.

Stay ~20 km from the border = No TVIP required
Stay less than 72 hours in above zone = No tourist visa required

Also half of Sonora and all of Baja California both Norte and Sur are Tourist hassle free zones. No TVIP ever required but a tourist visa is required for stays over 7 days.

_

Missed this post until now. Thanks for the clarification.

Will the group be staying within 12.5 miles (20 kms) from the border?

Booked my camping spot . Still looking for anyone near Houston to split gas and haul bikes in my truck instead of riding there.

Booked a room today. Looking forward to riding my Erik Marquez Suzuki DR-Z440W.

Paid with pay pal for two (2). My wife will not be riding but will attend meals.
Also have Motel room booked for Friday and Saturday nights. We probably make it to Terlingua on Friday.
Probably bring the DR-650.

Registered for this ride! Can't wait to ride down from Austin, camp for the weekend, and explore the parks and canyons.

Last year I rode to Big Bend for the first time and didn't take full advantage of the dirt roads staying mainly with a group in the chisos area. That will change this year.

Just found out about twtex from Sonny at Woods Fun Center, thank you Sonny.

Would I be able to find a place to camp in truck camper with bike trailer without reservations? No hookups etc, needed just a shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back