• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fastest Way Though Mexico and Central America

Reaction score
So I'm toying with the idea of getting my motorcycle to Panama and storing it until later this year when I would return and take it to South America. I would be leaving from Austin.

Would appreciate any advice on the fastest and / or most reasonable routes through Mexico and Central America. Please don't tell me to stop and smell the roses. I've traveled in those regions without a motorcycle and just want to get to Panama City and fly home to get back to work. I can take off two weeks to accomplish this.

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
What about just shipping it to Panama? Given the time/cost of riding there, I would think that might not be much more expensive :shrug: I've never shipped a bike so I have no specific info on the subject.

What about just shipping it to Panama? Given the time/cost of riding there, I would think that might not be much more expensive :shrug: I've never shipped a bike so I have no specific info on the subject.
Or straight to Columbia. Can't get your bike to South America except by boat or plane anyway. If you're just burning miles and not enjoying the ride through MX and Central America seems the best option. You'll save permit, entry and insurance costs for a few countries. Roundtrip airfare to either PC or Bogota probably a wash.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Or straight to Columbia. Can't get your bike to South America except by boat or plane anyway. If you're just burning miles and not enjoying the ride through MX and Central America seems the best option. You'll save permit, entry and insurance costs for a few countries. Roundtrip airfare to either PC or Bogota probably a wash.

I agree with this

I'll save my routing advice for Mexico and CA for riders who actually want to "stop and smell the roses". Sorry to be harsh.

I would prefer to ship it. But I’m having trouble finding current information on companies that reliably ship motorcycles to South America. I figured it would be easy if I took it to Houston. I’ve emailed several companies and none of them have responded. I’ve checked threads on advrider and HUBB but everything is pretty dated. I finally decided to just ride it.

Two weeks will give me enough time to smell a few roses but I’m not going to go too far off the beaten path. I plan to visit at least one CrossFit gym in each of the countries I pass through. This is a great way to interact with locals while exercising on the road.

On a side note, the plan is to teach English (and improve my Spanish) for a year in Colombia. Then ride further south into Patagonia. Maybe teach English down there if possible. Will most likely sell the bike to another traveler before returning home.

Last edited:
Alternatively, if you tell me the day/time that you are going, I will let all the bandits in the area know that you have lots of money with you, they will chase you and it will be the fastest you have ever ridden across Mexico!! :rofl: I can do all this for one low fee.. :clap:

Gary

Alternatively, if you tell me the day/time that you are going, I will let all the bandits in the area know that you have lots of money with you, they will chase you and it will be the fastest you have ever ridden across Mexico!! :rofl: I can do all this for one low fee.. :clap:

Gary

That’s one way to do it :-)

NOt alot of crossfit gyms spread out in Mexico, but this map shows a handfull do exist in 4-5 big cities in MX.

https://map.crossfit.com/

what time frame are you looking at going down to Mexico?
If you're going down between may and june, I may know of someone who might/can tag along w/ you....:chug:

I agree with this

I'll save my routing advice for Mexico and CA for riders who actually want to "stop and smell the roses". Sorry to be harsh.
Bob, you're so harsh, you old geezer :-P

Eiger, if you just want to blast it down to Panama, stick to the Pacific Coast and take the main highway all the way down. You could spend a week getting through Mexico and a week from there to Panama. You'll be covering a lot of miles everyday, not the most fun, but doable. Maybe use an agent at every border (after Mexico) to speed things up. You can do the crossings yourself but you need time and patience. A year in Colombia sounds great. Hope you'll be quite advanced in your Espansol by the time you get there.

This guy rode from Chicago to Panama City in nine days. Looks like I could smell a few roses in a 16 day trip :-)

Of course, nobody said you couldn't. It was only you that said you didn't want to and asking for the fastest route. If you would have stated you are taking 16 days and asking for suggestions you would have gotten very different responses.

_

Whatever you do, take pics and don't forget to come back here and share them for those of us chained to work, even after you get there... ;-)

In my first post, I mentioned two weeks for the trip. I really appreciate a lot of things about our neighbors to the South. But this trip is simply about logistics.

Get the bike to Panama, visit some CrossFit gyms along the way and then return home to work and save more money for the longer trip in South America. The teaching job will pay enough to get by in Colombia but not enough to save for the trip itself. I know Spanish varies in different regions but I hope to expand my basic knowledge out of respect and a desire to communicate with people along the way.

I'm terrible with ride reports, really wish I could pull it together and just do them. In the last year and a half I've taken three longish trips. Colorado, New England and Southern Appalachia. Last May I was on the road for an entire month.

Bob, you're so harsh, you old geezer :-P

Eiger, if you just want to blast it down to Panama, stick to the Pacific Coast and take the main highway all the way down. You could spend a week getting through Mexico and a week from there to Panama. You'll be covering a lot of miles everyday, not the most fun, but doable. Maybe use an agent at every border (after Mexico) to speed things up. You can do the crossings yourself but you need time and patience. A year in Colombia sounds great. Hope you'll be quite advanced in your Espansol by the time you get there.

Just read through your RTW on ADVRider. Great trip, thanks for sharing! One of my riding buddies here in Austin moved back to India last Summer, he's invited me to come ride the Himalaya's with him once his newborn is a little older.

In my first post, I mentioned two weeks for the trip. I really appreciate a lot of things about our neighbors to the South. But this trip is simply about logistics.

Get the bike to Panama, visit some CrossFit gyms along the way and then return home to work and save more money for the longer trip in South America. The teaching job will pay enough to get by in Colombia but not enough to save for the trip itself. I know Spanish varies in different regions but I hope to expand my basic knowledge out of respect and a desire to communicate with people along the way.

I'm terrible with ride reports, really wish I could pull it together and just do them. In the last year and a half I've taken three longish trips. Colorado, New England and Southern Appalachia. Last May I was on the road for an entire month.

Keep the prose minimal and just post the pics :-P

I know reports can take a LOT of time if you really do them up. I've yet to do any for the last 3-4 trips I have done as well :doh:

In 2012-2013 My buddy and I rode from all the countries in South, Central and North America. We came back through Central America from Panama City to Houston. We were not interested in spending much time either and made it from Panama City to Brownsville in seven nights. We also avoided most the big cities. It isn't difficult. Some squirrelly border crossing may give you some difficulty and change your timing slightly.

Back