• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ultra sonic cleaner, anyone???

thrill-billy85

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone here have an ultrasonic cleaner?

Here's the deal.... I'm restoring my first dirtbike and the carb is in bad shape. If anyone has a heated ultrasonic cleaner, and would be willing to give my carb a FEW baths, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I can ship it to you, with a return label already paid for to send it back. Maybe a lil sumthin' sumthin' for your time.

if you can't find someone with a US cleaner try soaking it in a pot of 80/20 pinesol and water. If you are careful you can heat the pinesol and water mix to around 140 to 160 degrees (don't try boiling it) and soak the carbs in it until it is back around room temp, and it should cut the crud just as well as the best carb cleaner methodology. Once you are done you can pour it down the sink and enjoy that pine smell....

I have one that I use for cleaning all of my brass before reloading. You are welcome to come down and use it although I'd be willing to bet we could get the carb working without resorting to the cleaner. All of the carbs I've cleaned throughout the years, and I've never needed the ultrasonic cleaner.

On a side note, the little ultrasonic cleaner that Harbor Freight sells for $80 is a darn good one. That thing has been working like a champ for me with my brass casings.

I have a heated ultrasonic as well sitting on the bench does a great job on
Carbs and jets.

Well, I think the first thing I've gotta do is find a new choke plunger.

My research is turning up the fact that this was a huge odd-ball carb.

It's a mikuni. Vm series....kinda. It has an oval bore in the throttle valve area, wheras most vm carbs don't, and are round. The spigot measures 23mm, but the tvc is much smaller.

I would replace it, but eBay sellers don't do a good job describing their products, at all

They work pretty well. I'll be glad to give your carb a good soaking. Let me know if you'll be coming through this area anytime soon. I'll be going through Tyler on Thursday (on the way to Barnwell). If we can cross paths, great.

Thursday would be great. Text me about when you'll be coming thru, and I'll meet you somewhere.

512-673-2991

Does the HF US cleaner heat as well?

I wonder how heated ultra sonic pine-sol would work!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I got this one from Harbor Freight for maybe $65-70. It sells under a bunch of different brand names, but it is the same one. It is heated. It works great. It is not quite deep enough to get the entire carb submerged at one time though, so I just have to flip it over and run it again. Carb comes out looking brand new.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Digital-Cleaning-Cycles/dp/B007AUI4W4"]Amazon.com - 2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner Digital with Five Cleaning Cycles: 90, 180, 280, 380 and 480 seconds[/ame]

Tourmeister, what type of cleaning solution/solvent do you use?

It'd behoove me to just go ahead and buy one. I have enough bikes come through the shop.

This carb has some gnarly scaling in it. I had "cleaned it" and I guess didn't get it all out of there, and really got it nasty.

Does anyone here have an ultrasonic cleaner?

Here's the deal.... I'm restoring my first dirtbike and the carb is in bad shape. If anyone has a heated ultrasonic cleaner, and would be willing to give my carb a FEW baths, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I can ship it to you, with a return label already paid for to send it back. Maybe a lil sumthin' sumthin' for your time.

Yes, I have a heated, commercial cleaner I load with a carb specific cleaner
attachment.php

I charge $129 per minute of use, plus handling fees, cleaning feels, cleaner fees, disposal of use cleaner fees, and icky fee (if your carbs are icky, I charge a fee)
There are various discount available.
Spelling discount (If you can spell Motorcycle, you get a discount)
Enthusiast discount (if you are easily enthused I offer a discount)
If you are a resident of Texas you get a discount

Hey contact me and we will figure it out.

Attachments

• sonic tank front.jpg
    sonic tank front.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'm gonna buy one. I just totaled it up, and I had 11 different bikes in my shop this year that just needed a good carb cleaning.

I of course did this the old fashioned way, with carb cleaner and compressed air, which takes about an hour if you're thourough, but getting a heated ultrasonic cleaner just makes sense. At less than $100, it would've paid for itself about 5-10 times. (Some of those carb jobs are freebies)

That is the unit we sell as well and what I have on my workbench good units for the money.

On the chance that you might buy it from Amazon if you get one, if you use this link to enter Amazon before you make the purchase, TWT gets a donation at no extra cost to you!

http://www.amazon.com/?tag=twowhetex-20

This is true for anything (almost anything) you buy from Amazon. If you are really curious, details are here.

Is this to redneck?:mrgreen:

I did this with simple green and water. Worked ok. I'm trying to clean carbs from a 75 KZ400 that has been sitting for 15 years or so. But I am going to try it with pinsol and water...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DtY2VwSyY"]how to make an Ultrasonic Cleaner- well... "ultrasonic-ish" vibrating cleaner for parts. - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah that's exactly how mine got ****ed up further than what it already was.

I foolishly trued this and it caused a really gnarly corrosion in my carbs. I think it has something to do with dissimilar metals, and the chemicals in CLR.

This ichiban moto guy is a total hack. Watch his video of removing g dents from a fuel tank. It's really pretty funny. His videos are weird, as they SEEM like he's trying to give an actual how-to video, but really, I think they're meant to be humorous.

Well, the pinesol and water, this may work. I foolishly used CLR.... No bueno

There's been some debate... I think Ichibans video's are 90% Satire with 10% enough real data to cause problems for people that don't know what the heck they are doing.

Simple green is supposedly safe for use with aluminum "When used with caution and according to the instructions," from their web site directly, but carbs are not aluminum. Usually they are some mix of pot metal, brass, etc etc etc... and as such when you mix different types of metal in a alkaline aqueous solution you can get some property shifts. What this means is if you have a piece of steel mixed with some kind of pot metal, the pot can turn or stain black (or at least a darker finish) if you leave it soaking too long. That being said, if you are just doing a dip in some simple green for 5 to 10 minutes in a hot US liquid bath and then rinsing it off with some clean water and then drying it off you'll probably be fine. According to their web site it was developed for use in the airplane industry specifically so who knows really....

CLR, definitely bad, that is light acid, essentially, can affect the bore on your throttle shaft and other places.

I trust in pine-sol, it has never done me wrong, the only thing I do a little different is heat it and it is extremely effective at not only cleaning carbs but cutting through a ton of greasy parts, but then again, I use a hot plate in the garage, so even if i do hit a flash point, I just kick it in driveway until it flames out.

Meanwhile in the real world I'd use weld on studs with a slide hammer. Some people just love bondo, lol. I stopped watching his video's after a couple of them so I guess I never saw this one.

Got my Harbor freight 2.5l heated ultrasonic cleaner yesterdee

Wow, this thing is awesome.

Some bef/aft pics

IMG_20160101_211945513_zpsqshnxbua.jpg

IMG_20160101_210124145_zpsyje8fe08.jpg

IMG_20160101_212143269_zpssnvpfqdn.jpg

IMG_20160101_214645517_zpsb1a6mxo1.jpg

IMG_20160101_212236976_zpspzsedamw.jpg

IMG_20160101_214631921_zpsddcs9lc0.jpg

Last edited:
I got one yesterday also, but have not tried it yet. What did you use in it, just water??

Water and pinesol. 50/50.

Pinesol conveniently comes in a 1.16l bottle. Dump it in, fill back with water, dump that in too

Back