• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KTM 1190 ADVENTURE

If my memory is not that bad..I dropped before the second pic was taken. I recognized for the longer path I took from the start. I wasn't:doh: thinking.

Looks like a fun ride,except for the water in the engine part. Glad you didn't bend a rod! Make sure to do an oil change.

Looks like a fun ride,except for the water in the engine part. Glad you didn't bend a rod! Make sure to do an oil change.

I installed a DNA filter during the weekend. It will give me time to decide what I want. The paper filter was full of dust (I was sweeping) and the air box clean as I was before the reassembly. I noted the drain hose from the filter housing I should have opened on time:doh:. I didn't suspect water until it happen:eek2:. It's all a learning process. I changed the oil also and it was fine too. The magnet swere a little tricky to clean but I got it done. Everything seams to be normal. I'm ready to ride :rider:.

I just returned from a 3,000 plus mile ride on the 1190, and with all the mods it was very comfortable going the distance. I really couldn't be happier with the bike.

DSC03861.JPG

I know that feeling...[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

I just returned from a 3,000 plus mile ride on the 1190, and with all the mods it was very comfortable going the distance. I really couldn't be happier with the bike.

DSC03861.JPG

So no snow in the air intake...? :-P

I took a look at my 1190 yesterday after thinking about the water ingestion issue. The secondary spark plug on the rear cylinder is easily accessible without removing the tank. I can't tell, but I would think if necessary, you could get to the secondary plug on the front cyl. by removing just the tank.

I took a look at my 1190 yesterday after thinking about the water ingestion issue. The secondary spark plug on the rear cylinder is easily accessible without removing the tank. I can't tell, but I would think if necessary, you could get to the secondary plug on the front cyl. by removing just the tank.

Not owning one of the big KTM's, I had no idea they were dual spark. That is something worth checking into for anyone that has one!

Only four types:

Those that ride a KTM
Those that want to ride a KTM
Those that appreciate KTMs.
Those that bash KTMs but spend all their time sorting out some niche brand

Never fear, there is always the one who being able to have only hamburger claims Filet Mignon tastes horrible.

fifth type:

Those that cannot afford a KTM and/or don't want to jack around with chain and sprockets.

_

I just wanted to share my experience with a dealer and my tires so you know what to ask or do. As you might know already, there are two bands inside, one to cover the spokes and the other to seal the rim. I took both wheels to have new tires installed. The first time my rear tire was installed backward (not a BIG deal since anybody can make a "mistake"). The second time after I installed it, several spokes were leaking air. I took it two more times wanting them to fix it without success, including new bands. Last time a small leaks that could let me ride for a day. I bought all the tools (including the balancer) to do it myself and realized it was all about poor QAQC. Debris inside the groove and the seal band not fully inserted. I cleaned the groove’s surface carefully and installed both bands using glass cleaner to get them passed the rim and push them until they were 100% inside (almost flushed). The bead is a hard MF and a regular bead breaker won’t be enough. The tire is so stiff that without air it seems full. I hope this help.

fifth type:

Those that cannot afford a KTM and/or don't want to jack around with chain and sprockets.

_

Probably falls under the guy that can't afford a Rolex but has a drawer full of Seiko, Citizen and Invicta watches.

In over 4 decades of riding, I spent more time waiting on a single fix for a shaft final drive than all the combined time spent spraying on a bit of lube or once every 12k miles throwing on a new chain.

;)

Probably falls under the guy that can't afford a Rolex but has a drawer full of Seiko, Citizen and Invicta watches.

Some people like to collect but who really needs more than one watch? Nobody except the person who wants to. A $20 Timex keeps good enough time for 99.9% of us. And if you want the most accurate watch it is a Citizen at one third the price of the cheapest Rolex.

In over 4 decades of riding, I spent more time waiting on a single fix for a shaft final drive than all the combined time spent spraying on a bit of lube or once every 12k miles throwing on a new chain.

Sounds like you broke your rule # 4 above. Buy mainstream and you get rock hard reliability in most cases. 12k chain replacement would come three times a year for me and could stop me in far away places when not convenient or fun to be working on my bike. For others that would be a chain replacement every 5 years or maybe lifetime. Everybody has different needs, your stereotypes don't reflect that so I added on to your list. Been hashed over thousands of times before.

So...buy what you need or buy what you want or buy what you can afford. Most important is ride what you buy and ride often.

_

There are watches that serve for more than one purpose and cheaper than buying two for each. You're not going to carry two watches. I agree, buy what you can keep and use it wisely. The beauty is they are all different.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Some people like to collect but who really needs more than one watch? Nobody except the person who wants to. A $20 Timex keeps good enough time for 99.9% of us. And if you want the most accurate watch it is a Citizen at one third the price of the cheapest Rolex.

Sounds like you broke your rule # 4 above. Buy mainstream and you get rock hard reliability in most cases. 12k chain replacement would come three times a year for me and could stop me in far away places when not convenient or fun to be working on my bike. For others that would be a chain replacement every 5 years or maybe lifetime. Everybody has different needs, your stereotypes don't reflect that so I added on to your list. Been hashed over thousands of times before.

So...buy what you need or buy what you want or buy what you can afford. Most important is ride what you buy and ride often.

_

No rules, just observations.

I'm one of those with a drawer full of watches. Funny thing though, one of the moderately priced ones, being the oldest Has appreciated in value over all those years and is easily a trade across for a new Rolex but it's a keeper.

The 12 K chain replacement is just for one bike so the number of chains is actually higher but most of the bikes are good for 12k on a chain, same as tires. Might as well do them at the same time.chain

Chains, belts or shafts; any can break and everything that moves needs maintenance. :rider:

When I took the tank and air box off of my Africa Twin I saw the same exact design flaw, any water that enters one of the front facing air horns have nowhere to go but down towards the paper air filters, one on each side. I thought about installing some kind of drain hole at the bottom part of the unfiltered side of the air box but realized if a wall of water enters no weep hole is going to help. It appears that the front opening of the air horns are behind the front fairing so rain or splashing shouldn't be an issue, but a laydown or other submarine type of adventure would cause serious water ingestion...

Has anybody drilled weep holes in the dirty side of their air box, there must be some kind of rubber check valve that would allow water out without dirty air or water in?

When I took the tank and air box off of my Africa Twin I saw the same exact design flaw, any water that enters one of the front facing air horns have nowhere to go but down towards the paper air filters, one on each side. I thought about installing some kind of drain hole at the bottom part of the unfiltered side of the air box but realized if a wall of water enters no weep hole is going to help. It appears that the front opening of the air horns are behind the front fairing so rain or splashing shouldn't be an issue, but a laydown or other submarine type of adventure would cause serious water ingestion...

Has anybody drilled weep holes in the dirty side of their air box, there must be some kind of rubber check valve that would allow water out without dirty air or water in?

A 1/4" drain connection with a hose and a stud at the end will do the job. My KTM has it on the clean side which to me will be the same for that purpose since water will be before and after. If it's on the clean side you might be taking the risk on getting dirty air. If your bike dive or suspect it has been drinking water for any reason, drain it before starting. I didn't know that before I had a water-lock. Also and in case you can't drain it enough, check how you can take the lowest spark plug out (where the water will be) and let the engine rotate at a the highest gear to blow it out. Vacuum the water out with a hose will work too if you don't mind to taste some water with gasoline.:trust:

Have you guys done the gas tank gauge mod to avoid the false gasoline tank level? I did it and now is working flawless.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

I was hesitating about writing down this post. My pride did not want me to do it but my conscience won. I believe still is a good experience to share and perhaps some of you might have been there already but were too proud to share it ;-). I started to have what I called a delay start on my 1190. It happened on and off but after I started researching to see if there was already an issue I became paranoiac and obsessed to get an explanation and solve the “problem”. *I could not find anything conclusive so I started to learn how to test all the actors involved. Once I finished such tests, expending money on devices and a lot of time and I was about to take it to the dealer, I did a final try, pushing the start button like I really wanted to help the bike to start with a little push to each sides and Eureka! The in-leftward push worked. The idea of having a serious failure was not letting me think. I did learn a lot and I believe everything happen for a reason. There are some tips after all this journey I want to resume:
-******* Believe in your bike first y take time to know it. They all have design issues but it might not be the case for you.
-******* Verify all tests by showing repetitive result.
-******* Make a firm contact while testing the relay since if not you are going to get a rapid fire click sound that could make you believe the relay is broken.
-******* PUSH THE START BUTTOM LIKE A MAN!
-******* THANKS A LOT YOU TUBERS!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Back