• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Xilitla, San Luis Potosi - Salvadore Dali meets Indiana Jones

I knew I had a picture with your bikes in it but I thought I had a better one. Oh well your bikes are behind the IceCream man.

259412794_WHVze-XL.jpg

Great ride report! My wife is from Xilitla and we're heading down there for a few days this summer. I'm looking forward to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Tuna is the fruit, and nopales are the pads. Nopales are cooked like vegetables, Tuna eaten as a fruit.

Once I found some fruit bearing prickly pears near Hunt, Texas and decided to eat the tuna like they do south of the border. They must have different prickly pears SOTB cause I ended up with a mess of thorns on my fingers and lips.

The Mexicans call the spines of prickly pear cactus espinos, but there is another name for the tiny, invisible, no-see-um thorns, but I forget what it is.

I ran across the same issue on my first trip to Mexico....
"Hey look, a prickly pear!" as I pick the tuna off of the cactus. "Son. Of. A!!! Daggummit!" The pricks stuck all in my gloves and fingers. "Richard!!! Get me some duct tape!!!"
Check out my ride report day two.

Immediately following that stupid mistake, I recalled a survival lesson from BSA.... Poke sharp stick through tuna and quickly roast it over an open flame to BURN off the pricks. THEN you eat the fruit! Same goes with the nopales. Good campfire viddles.

:eat:

As for the report. I'd love to go to this part of Mexico. I intend to make a dirt-ish route there one day... Milton, you up for exploration... wait, I know that answer...

There is also SCREENHUNTER 5 FREE. You open it up and make it stay dormant till you have something you want to copy. then put your cursor out of the way and hit the F6 Key. Outline what you want and it auto saves it to your Pictures Directory filed as a .jpeg.

There is also SCREENHUNTER 5 FREE. You open it up and make it stay dormant till you have something you want to copy. then put your cursor out of the way and hit the F6 Key. Outline what you want and it auto saves it to your Pictures Directory filed as a .jpeg.
Hummmmm.

I just got back from Xilitla and I will forever be in awe of its natural beauty. My in-laws live down off the main highway closer to the border of the state of Queretaro, so it is definitely dual-sport country there. A bike really isn't in the cards for me for the next few years, but I'm looking forward to the day I can return there with one. Photos don't do the area justice, there were times you felt like you were in an Indiana Jones movie. Absolutely amazing!

Latest Xilitla Pics

Since you were kind enough to bump the thread, I'll post a couple of pictures from my latest visit back in February. I'd taken my wife, Mary, and a friend, Sandi, on a car trip to see the butterflies at their winter grounds in Michoacan and we came home by way of Xilitla.

DSCN0779.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0791.jpg

DSCN0792.jpg

And a few more:

DSCN0793.jpg

DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

This fellow isn't from Xilitla. He hangs out at the summit on the highway on the opposite side of town.

DSCN0777.jpg

Coming home, we spent the night in Ciudad Valles, then made it home to Corpus Christi the next day from there. I think it's something when one day's drive/ride can take you to a different world.

Back