• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

I did a Venture frame replacement back in the day, flagged 18 hours Yamaha time .. I did it by blocking up the motor and stripped everything off around it , the motor never moved .. can you imagine pulling a v4 water cooled motor out ? Maybe the guy holding a XR in his arms could do it but not me. I should probably update myself but I’ve been out of pocket for awhile ..but I’m back

Attachments

• D494203D-B672-4801-9846-94A508687CE1.jpg
    D494203D-B672-4801-9846-94A508687CE1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 220
I've got that Sutton oil cooler - it was just too easy to buy / install instead of fabbing brackets and sourcing the cooler core that would fit. But, anyone splitting cases and swapping transmission gears is light-years ahead of me in mech confidence and capability. The XR's only oil temp gauge still shows up to 250˚ (I didn't have the thermometer before adding the cooler).

Here's my current task: find cheap, shorty levers to pack as spares. Who's got the best source for these?

L model levers are hard to find and only fit the L . I would look at changing the perch to give more selection of levers .. I went with bark busters and kept stock levers .. rockymountainatv has really impressed me as letting you know what is in stock and wat they have to order as most online dealers lie about stock on hand to get your money,

44100c16d579aa8598dd7b28ba35b1cc.jpg

When you low side a 2001 dirt bike on its first run, you come home and tear it apart . New boots, new Acerbis fender, strip the spray paint, oil change, etc etc.... anything not to ride anymore. My poor lil buddy was hurting

L model levers are hard to find and only fit the L . I would look at changing the perch to give more selection of levers .. I went with bark busters and kept stock levers .. rockymountainatv has really impressed me as letting you know what is in stock and wat they have to order as most online dealers lie about stock on hand to get your money,
X2 on rocky mountain

When you low side a 2001 dirt bike on its first run, you come home and tear it apart . New boots, new Acerbis fender, strip the spray paint, oil change, etc etc.... anything not to ride anymore. My poor lil buddy was hurting
Poor bike!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DRZ400S

Before I installed them on my old DRZ, I compared them to the XRLs.

The brake is a drop in ... works perfect and very adjustable.

The clutch is a just a tick too thick at the pivot boss.
When you see it, you'll know what I mean.

OK ... I'm second guessing myself ...

The levers will work, but it might be the brake side that needs the alteration.

Last edited:
I've always just ran a cr125/250 lever nice and sloppy

She will be ready for the next round. She is a tough old girl!

Putting in some work today. Rear caliper is frozen..
4606232797347889281fa9c5ad201e90.jpg

Made some progress. Valves adjusted, carb, airbox, battery box & wiring done.
2128e115b1ee48383433deee2f150cda.jpg

I'll let you know. Going to attempt to rebuild this one.

Something to add for anyone adding the kick starter to the L ... I noticed the XR600 shaft has a hole to lubricate the idle gear ...well I was not planning on adding everything just yet ...just to easy to pop the cover add it later . I scored the gear and will put in this week ..just thought I should share this

Something to add for anyone adding the kick starter to the L ... I noticed the XR600 shaft has a hole to lubricate the idle gear ...well I was not planning on adding everything just yet ...just to easy to pop the cover add it later . I scored the gear and will put in this week ..just thought I should share this
I noticed that on another forum

Howdy All. A question-is the XRL a good choice for gravel/dirt/backroads we have here in Texas? My XL250R is a great backroads bike, but I am looking for a newer, bigger, d/s with electric start. Doing my research...

Howdy All. A question-is the XRL a good choice for gravel/dirt/backroads we have here in Texas? My XL250R is a great backroads bike, but I am looking for a newer, bigger, d/s with electric start. Doing my research...
YES YES YES
It will feel quite familiar, just a few extra ponies.
Single tracks quite well too.
Spent some time on a klr recently, cant wait to get back to my xrl(thank you southtex)

Last edited:
Plus one....you can make the Xr650l into anything you want ... or ride it stock .. I just needed more highway bike and not loosing anything from the dirt side of life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From full out dirt build, to adventure build, to stock. There are bulletproof, can set it up for whatever you want to ride. Sure it wont roll down the highway doing 85-90mph comfortably, but it will run gravel roads at 60mph all day
5c8b7d32778bea0a7b17e76acaa0e1bd.jpg
67f022a00073bb08ae9230103ca84746.jpg
d3dd2039a82e65432c22c6a50677f789.jpg

Got an electrical bug. And I need a new battery. I was working on getting the throttle cables not to drag(still working on it. dad was working on the new tail light, wired it wrong, then all the indicators, turn signals, headlight etc quit. Did not see a blown fuse. Done for the night.
d0f7e847d6eecf2bce774ede56991dcd.jpg

Back