• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Antonio Fork Seal Replacement recommendation or assistance

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
C
Can someone recommend somewhere that I can get my fork seals on my KTM 450 EXC replaced in San Antonio?

I need someone reliable who will do it without bending me over the barrel financially. That rules out the dealerships around here.

I'm very open to learning how to do it myself if someone around here has the necessary tools, knowledge, time, and patience to show me the ropes.

They ride great and are set up perfectly for me and my style so I'm not looking for a rebuild. I just want the seals replaced, as the left one is seeping quite a bit of oil. I've already done the sweep between the seal and fork a couple of times with no noticeable effect.

They were rebuilt a couple of years ago at a KTM dealership. Going back to them is not an option as they are a long ways from where I live.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
I am about 1.5-2 hrs south of you. It would be a few weeks before I could get to them. If somebody closer doesn't chime in shoot me a pm with your contact info.

I am about 1.5-2 hrs south of you. It would be a few weeks before I could get to them. If somebody closer doesn't chime in shoot me a pm with your contact info.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm planning on a ride in Mexico and will be leaving for that on May 23rd. Would we be able to get them finished in time for that?

Also, are you offering to do them, or teach me to do them?

Chris

Teach you to do them, would be the idea. Sunday afternoon April 21st looks good for me. There is a chance for a meet in the middle at another TWTEX members shop.

Last edited:
Teach you to do them, would be the idea. Sunday afternoon April 21st looks good for me. There is a chance for a meet in the middle at another TWTEX members shop.

That would be great. For the opportunity to learn how to properly do it, Victoria isn't much of a drive though.
April 21st is a Thursday.

Last edited:
That would be great. For the opportunity to learn how to properly do it, Victoria isn't much of a drive though.
April 21st is a Thursday.

You are correct it would be the 24th. If you come to Victoria I could help you on Saturday the 23rd also.

I'll pm you my number.

My personal choice for seals. http://slavensracing.com/shop/fork-seals-by-skf-for-wp-ktm-husaberg/
Note that is one side you need 2. You can get cheaper seals if you chose. You will also need fork oil. http://slavensracing.com/shop/racing-fork-fluid-by-maxima/

Thanks, I can make either of those days work for me. It's a matter of your convenience.
I received and responded to your IM.
I appreciate the recommendations and will get the stuff on order today.

I'll pull the forks, and probably just ride down on the Vic if the weather cooperates.

I just want to put out a public "Thank You" to Gary bwdmax for helping me with my forks this last weekend. Actually, helping is a bit of an understatement as he basically did them for me. I very much appreciated his tutelage, and I will have no problems doing them myself next time based upon his excellent instruction.

He and his son graciously had me over to his workshop when I'm sure they could have been out riding or something.

Add Gary to the list of great folk on this website for sure!

Hey,Chris is to kind. What he didn't tell you was that I left a backing ring out and had to redo his forks so he got to see it twice:headbang:. He also did his fair share of cleaning parts.

It was a pleasure to have you over and do the fork seals, you are welcome anytime. I look forward to hearing about your trip to Mexico.

Back