• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How much is a CB750 worth?

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a friend (female) that's selling a non-running 1970 cb750.

He doesn't have any clue what's wrong with it but it sounds like I could get it real cheap (maybe under $400). I'm tempted cause I love working in the garage and my KLR and DRZ don't need any TLC right now but I've never really worked on something with multiple carbs...

So what's something like that worth running? I know it's going to need a new battery and possible tires and a chain.

check the serial numbers. i think 1970's included the sandcast engine, which makes it very valuable. if not...it pretty much depends on what kind of shape it's in, but $400 sounds like a good deal. If cosmetics are good and engine is sound, non sandcast can go $3,000 to $5,000. If sandcast...don't sell it!

built up to september 1969 so a few early 70 models are sandcast, if the serial number on the engine is 1007414 or lower it is a sandcast engine.

What makes the sandcast engine more valuable? Just rare or better?

Holy crap, are those kick-start only?! The only picture I saw was of the left side so I didn't see that.

Here's a pic of it. I don't know if she has the battery cover.

Attachments

• CB750_1.jpg
    CB750_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 266
Tom had one of those in his garage when I went to pick up the CBX that his son had used when at school in Austin. It had already been restored once, and looked like it could use another.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider how cool a project it would be.

That is a stinking deal for any restorable bike, and an absolute steal for a CB750. That's one of those you'll thoroughly enjoy during the build and well after.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a '77 CB750K that is a project that I would let go for $400. It is totally restorable, not much rust, lots of extra parts including a Windjammer fairing.

they have electric starter but also have a back up kick starter. kick starters were standard equipment on many large Japanese bikes up to 1979. you have to look at it as kick starting a 187cc bike that is a bit stiff as you are only kicking through one cylinder under compresion at a time.
I have kickstarted a 1978 Suzuki GS750 and it was easyer than kickstarting a big thumper. it was in fact about as dificult as kickstarting the XT350 I once had.

the sand cast engines were much more complicated to make and less that 7500 were made (7414) before the switch to the much cleaner looking die cast system. factoring just how many SOHC CB750's were made, the sand cast ones are pretty rare and there is a fanatical following for them.

No biggie, it will be cheaper for you and the the '70 model year, ie the K0's in CB750 speak, were the best performers. Check out SOHC4.net.

Have a look at the gauges, they should house the idiot lights instead of having a little "dash board".

That bike is well worth more what you are talking about. Those fork ears are getting hard to find. If you have the original undamaged side covers then you are golden.

If you decide you want to cafe it I will swap you for my non-original 1970......

My 1970 CB750 has a plate on the top of the triple-tree which has 4 lights, one for neutral, one for bright lights, one for turn indicator and I cannot remember what the other is. If you have an original K0 then these lights will be inside the speedo and tach, 2 lights each. These gauges are like hen's teeth lately.

There is a great book (hardback) which chronicles the beginning and all of the changes of the CB750. A friend gave it to me and I have read it twice.

As someone mentioned, the SOHC4 forums have a wealth of information and a horde of knowledgeable people itching for someone to help.

As far as a full resto project, you will have a very hard, very expensive, time finding a correct set of pipes.

What do you mean about the idiot lights?

As far as a full resto project, you will have a very hard, very expensive, time finding a correct set of pipes.

To heck with resto, the SOHC CB's are better as chops, bobbers and brats anyway :trust:

downsized_04100912421.jpg

Last edited:
They do indeed make mean looking modifieds and sound unreal with the right set of pipes (Carpy's Yokahama clones). But one in that nice of shape I would put back to as close to original as I could.

To heck with resto, the SOHC CB's are better as chops, bobbers and brats anyway

If this is the direction you would like to go then I will seriously offer up my 1970 Frankenstein as a trade :trust:. I my even throw in my 1980..... I originally purchased mine to restore, but when I started looking at it I found that it was a 1970 frame with a 74 motor, and several years tossed in. The good thing was that I could kick start it with my hand first time, every time, and it sounded great.

But I digress...

If this is the direction you would like to go then I will seriously offer up my 1970 Frankenstein as a trade :trust:. I my even throw in my 1980..... I originally purchased mine to restore, but when I started looking at it I found that it was a 1970 frame with a 74 motor, and several years tossed in. The good thing was that I could kick start it with my hand first time, every time, and it sounded great.

I already have a '80 CB750C project in the works, see sig line... however, your '80 K might be useful :ponder:

That's freaking sweet. What would have to be done to make it look like that? Clip-ons, seat, rearset, exhaust?

downsized_04100912421.jpg

No, it was in a little worse shape than I thought and I'm waiting to see if she can find the side cover and tank mounting hardware.

I've been itching for an old UJM to build. I want to do either a bobber or cafe project, but it's going to have to start with a donor bike that is **** near free. Money is tight and the wife would kill me if I spent any on another toy.

If the majority of the original parts are there I would pick it up. I will swap my 74 gauges for those 70's....

There is a company making repro side covers, and the tank mounting hardware is easy to find.

Take some detailed pictures and let us have a look. else ask her to wait until I get back to Houston and I will take it.

Back