• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Heated Grips vs Heated Gloves

Reaction score
I liked to get some opinions from those that have tried both.

How warm are they compared to each other?

Pros and Cons

Thx

Heated gloves will allow you to function in lower temperatures than heated grips. My finger tips are always still cold unless I work very hard to keep them in direct contact with the grips. Gloves heat the whole hand. Now people like me who have both.......

I have both, grips are nice in the 40F-55F range, but gloves are much warmer. When it gets below 40F I put the gloves on. I have worn them down to 15F, grips will not help much at that temp. The grips allow me to wear a lighter glove in cool temps, but they are not good for really cold weather, better than nothing yeah, but you have to wear a really thick glove because they only keep your palms warm, then you can't feel the heat with the thick gloves on

I have had both...If I had to pick just 1, I would go with the my Gerbing gloves.

Ideally you would have both, but they really serve different functions...entire hand vs. palms only.

Grips are good since they are always there on the bike available to use. But gloves are better as they are warmer.

If your hands get cold easily, go with the gloves.

Grips are good since they are always there on the bike available to use. But gloves are better as they are warmer.

If your hands get cold easily, go with the gloves.

I agree. I have had the heated grips on my Strom for a couple years now, but I just got some Gerbing's T5 gloves a week ago. Now I'm kicking myself for going so long without getting the heated gloves sooner. The grips are decent, but the gloves are awesome!

If I had to pick just one, it would be the gloves without a doubt.

These two (gloves and grips) are not mutually exclusive, so go with both!

My original Gerbing's gloves didn't heat the palms. I'm fairly certain the G3s do not as well (but haven't really checked).

I've gotten by for years with just the gloves, but I do have a heated grips kit waiting to be installed on the VFR. I've had the kit for over a year, something about Texas winters just doesn't motivate me to install it. ;)

I got grips because of the price, $20. They are okay for the palms, but the upper parts of the hand and thumbs get really cold.

Where they do shine is on a cool, yet wet day. No need to worry about the expensive elec gloves getting soaked or have to switch to them, just turn on the grips and keep riding.

I can see where having both would be a real plus though.

I have both, if it is cool not real cold I like the grips because
I have better feel of the controls with thinner gloves, it gets
real cold the Gerbings gloves come out.

Nice thing about the grips, you can keep the palms dry on a pair of gloves on
a rainy day with them on, and when the weather and rain are just righ
nothing looks cooler than steam coming off your hands at a stop light
really get some odd looks:rofl:

If I was only doing one, gloves lets you ride any time but for less that
30 bucks by the dual stars grips if you can to have both

Lots of great information!!

That answers my question about how well the grips would work in 30 or lower temperatures, palm would be warm but I would have frostbite at the finger tips.

Looking at the cost between the two they are approximately the same.

Think I'll go with the new Gerbing Hybrid to have the added flexibility of using the rechargeable or plugging in.

Thanks everyone.:clap:

I've yet to get the gloves, but I have the grips. I love my grips and they're quite cheap, but I think gloves would be the better option for the really cold stuff.

I've ridden down into the 20s with my grips and they help for sure, but my hands were still quite cold.

Does anyone know any place locally that you can buy the Gerbing gear? I've looked at their stuff a lot online but I haven't ever seen them in a store and I kinda like to try things out before I plunk down a lot of money.

I think a big factor is what - if any, shielding your bike offers your hands. My RT directs the wind off my hands so heated grips actually get so hot on long trips I have to turn them on low. I wear light leather gloves - NO INSULATION, and my hands feel great. Now if the wind hit my hands directly, well... that might be another story.

Heated gloves? For my bike -No. Why? Because plugging in and out is an inconvenience. However, if my hands stayed cold... I'll plug'em in!

Does anyone know any place locally that you can buy the Gerbing gear? I've looked at their stuff a lot online but I haven't ever seen them in a store and I kinda like to try things out before I plunk down a lot of money.

Maxim Honda (formerly Plano Honda) over on US75 in Allen (west side, between McDermott and Bethany)

I bought my G3s there.

I called Gerbings and placed my order by phone. They took my measurements and figured out the perfect size.

I have both.
Gloves are better and they are easy to use if you have the jacket liner to plug them into.
Call Girbings direct they are very willing to take the time and get you fitted and will work with you.
I have heated grips on the GS if they failed I am not sure I would spend $'s to fix them. But I have two pair of the Gerbings gloves just in case there is a problem. The older full size gloves are warmer but much bulkier. The G3's are great down into the low 30's then I like the original ones.

Gloves will work on more than One bike , I can see where that is very beneficial to some riders . Me included . SEYA

I use heated gloves and hand guards to block the wind on my semi-naked bike. My hands stay toasty down into the teens. ;-)

Resurrecting this old post...

I've been on the fence about this lately because I always go the cheaper route but I have two bikes so that makes the heated grips less attractive. I already have a gerbings liner so I can just easily plug the gloves in.

Resurrecting this old post...

I've been on the fence about this lately because I always go the cheaper route but I have two bikes so that makes the heated grips less attractive. I already have a gerbings liner so I can just easily plug the gloves in.

Well, since my last post on this thread, I can tell you that I haven't used my heated grips since getting my gloves. I've ridden down as far as the low 20's and my fingers still stayed warm. I can't say the same for my heated grips. And until a few weeks ago, I couldn't comment on the having multiple road bikes, but now with the addition of the KLR it makes me feel even better about the heated gloves. They go with me no matter what bike I am on for the day.

I ended up getting the gerbings hybrid with the rechargeable batteries. they really make a difference, now I notice that me toes are cold. :)

I think it's clear, in this case anyhow, you really do get what you pay for. Grips are cheap and easy but give limited warmth. The greater question might be: How much would it be worth to effectively eliminate the term "riding season" from your vocabulary? Heated gloves, jacket, socks/insoles, controllers and hook ups might set ya back $400. Now that I know the elements I can conquer with my electrics (anything but ice on the road) it seems like a small price to pay indeed for the two-wheeled euphoria I feel year round. :zen:

It dawned on me the other day that I can't tell how cold it is when properly geared up. I'd much rather ride in the 20's than in the 90's or triple digits. :giveup:

Here's my winter laundry list: :trust:
  • Respro Foggy in my RF1000
  • Schampa Shielded Chin Guard
  • Olympia Ultima I gloves
  • Army Surplus heavy poly fleece thermals
  • ReV'it! Navigator jacket
  • Homemade heated glove liners for the 40's
  • Homemade heated jacket liner for the 30's
  • ReV'it! Dakar pants
  • Homemade heated boot insoles for the 20's
  • Wool socks
  • Sidi On Road boots
:rider:

Last edited:
Heated gloves are way more effective, but an added hassle when suiting up or getting on and off the bike. My BMW's heated grips are always there and ready. I probably wear my Widder gloves about once every 2 years. I used them much more often when I lived in the Midwest.

I use Gerbing heated glove liners. You can use them with multiple gloves types. The gloves will need to be 1/2 size larger to accommodate them.

RB

Back