• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Emergency wrist ID in case...

R

Red Brown

In the event you should be in a serious motorcycle accident, many first responders/EMTs are taught to look for ID tags, dog-tag to determine your identity etc. A cheap solution is a velcro strap bracelet that you wear on your wrist, with your name, birthdate, numbers of next of kin, local police etc you want contacted, blood type, etc, all laser etched so it won't fade.

For $25.00 you can purchase it here

SEYA,

RB

Decent looking product and very functional. You are right about looking for medical ID. So much so, it is part of the state and now national assesment skills testing. I say "now" national because I was at it before National Registry became the standard in Texas.
I personally prefer the necklace, but the bracelet is fine. It has less chance of coming off, is available in the medical alert format at any pharmacy for about the same cost or a little less. Is tax deductable because it is a recognized medical device, and it gets the undevided attention and won't be as easily overlooked. Keep it simple and foreward on the info.

I've worn one of these ever since I had a spill on my bicycle training for the MS150 and suffered a concussion and a shoulder separation. I wear one of these, I have my emergency information in a laminated card behind my drivers license in my wallet.

I got them for the wife and I after her car accident last year. She had a broken leg and a concussion. I did not know about it till they handed her cell back in the ER and asked if she wanted to call someone. My initial thought was how would they know to get hold of me if she was unable to?

Not as foilproof as an attached ID but I recommend the following to everyone:
Put two or three emergency contact phone numbers in your cell phone. Label clearly "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Emergency personnel are trained to look there if no ID in pockets or purse. In reality sometimes they check the cell phone first because all they need to do is press call.

And for us motorcyclists why not put a ICE label inside your helmet? Might not get noticed until helmet comes off in ambulance or at hospital but it should be eventually seen.

_

I hate wearing anything around my wrists when riding because of my gear, so I took a label maker and put some info on the outside of my helmet.

From what I understand the blood type probably won't be used but it's only a little extra tape so I put that on there anyway.
168697_1808699703392_1416956060_32042814_2486692_n.jpg

167781_1808700063401_1416956060_32042815_874757_n.jpg

I always wear dog tags. Name, ICE, Blood type, allergies, home address, home phone, TDL, etc.

I'd rather have this information on a card in my wallet than wear a bracelet or necklace.

I'd rather have this information on a card in my wallet than wear a bracelet or necklace.

I seldom keep my wallet in my pants when riding, usually in my tank bag or pannier. One problem with keeping it in a wallet is that it would be the first thing worn down in a butt slide alone the freeway and more than likely lost. I figure if Dog Tags work for the military they will work for me.

I seldom keep my wallet in my pants when riding, usually in my tank bag or pannier. One problem with keeping it in a wallet is that it would be the first thing worn down in a butt slide alone the freeway and more than likely lost. I figure if Dog Tags work for the military they will work for me.

I usually put my wallet in a chest pocket if I'm riding more than a few miles. I did grind a hole in a rear pocket in a crash in college. I can still see the scratches on my Leatherman that was in my back pocket.

My step son fell off a balcony and was airlifted to a head trauma center. His wallet was lost during the lifeflight transfer. He was admitted as a John Doe. It was not until he regained consciousness the next day he was able to write down his mothers telephone number (he was on a respirator and could not talk). It delayed her being notified. Had he been out longer than one day or was in a condition not able to communicate it might have been days before she had any idea. He is in college in another town and might go a week without calling. The wallet idea has flaws he also had his telephone left behind when airlifted. All his friends assumed his mother was contacted by medical response and did not call to tell her what happened.

The wrist band would have been ideal in this case!

I also wear dog tags when I ride. A couple places online do em and iirc it was <$10

That is a thumb drive. Problem with that one is it won't be used prior to reaching the hospital. If they have a capable computer on board, policy may prevent it. After reaching the hospital, all around the area I worked in would not allow a thumb drive of unknown persons. Too much info these days to take a chance on crashing or putting in a worm and getting to records. I would guess things may have changed some but why would you want to get cute when simple and time tested work.

These folks are trying to sell something that connects with the modern geek factor, they also play the fear factor. A good idea, but only if it is used.

Excellent post and comments. Bicyclists and runners wear toe tags. After a hit, cell and ID could be far away from the person. The dog tag is a great idea. I'm going to get me one.

Back