• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need some help with a top box

Reaction score
First Name
Neil
OK bear with me one this one guys. I am a luggage newbie, never having a bike that really wanted to have any kinda luggage on it. I want to put a top box on the Versys without breaking the bank but do not want to waste money.

Looking at the mount/rack hardware - the Givi/Kappa bike specific mount is by far the most economical that I have found for a bike specific kit (by like $100 or more) so that has kinda pushed me in that direction.

So I was looking at the Monokey/Monolock boxes. It looks like the Monokey is the more premium product so I was looking at the Monolock to keep pricing down. Is this a mistake?

Also trying to find out what size I need. I don't really want a massive box but would like for it to hold my laptop backpack for work so I can put it back there instead of wearing it.

Backpack specs

Large, multi-compartment design. Body Dimensions: 20.0 x 15.0 x 9.5 inches
Fully-padded CUSHION ZONE computer sleeve fits most 17" laptops
Integrated TECH SPOT tablet computer sleeve (12.5 x 11 x 0.75 in.)
*and I keep it pretty full*

Was looking at a 35L Monolock that has these dimensions (19.6 x 17.1 x 12.4 inches). Big enough everywhere but height but I am sure the backpack is not a pull 20 tall solid (measured it full and it scrunched down to less than 18").

Anyways, is this a mistake? Should I go a size up. Its a bit more money to do so but not as much as buying a bigger box in a year if a 35L is too small. Is the Monolock vs Monokey a mistake?

Bike has smaller (17L) soft bags on the side with racks that I thought about upgrading but want the top box to double as a backrest for the pretty wife.

OK bear with me one this one guys. I am a luggage newbie, never having a bike that really wanted to have any kinda luggage on it. I want to put a top box on the Versys without breaking the bank but do not want to waste money.

Looking at the mount/rack hardware - the Givi/Kappa bike specific mount is by far the most economical that I have found for a bike specific kit (by like $100 or more) so that has kinda pushed me in that direction.

So I was looking at the Monokey/Monolock boxes. It looks like the Monokey is the more premium product so I was looking at the Monolock to keep pricing down. Is this a mistake?

Also trying to find out what size I need. I don't really want a massive box but would like for it to hold my laptop backpack for work so I can put it back there instead of wearing it.

Backpack specs

Large, multi-compartment design. Body Dimensions: 20.0 x 15.0 x 9.5 inches
Fully-padded CUSHION ZONE computer sleeve fits most 17" laptops
Integrated TECH SPOT tablet computer sleeve (12.5 x 11 x 0.75 in.)
*and I keep it pretty full*

Was looking at a 35L Monolock that has these dimensions (19.6 x 17.1 x 12.4 inches). Big enough everywhere but height but I am sure the backpack is not a pull 20 tall solid (measured it full and it scrunched down to less than 18").

Anyways, is this a mistake? Should I go a size up. Its a bit more money to do so but not as much as buying a bigger box in a year if a 35L is too small. Is the Monolock vs Monokey a mistake?

Bike has smaller (17L) soft bags on the side with racks that I thought about upgrading but want the top box to double as a backrest for the pretty wife.
Monokey cases will be more adaptable since the available Givi side racks are only Monokey style. You could buy 2 Monokey cases & use either on the sides...or just 1 on top. Also..the dimensions you gave for the 35ltr. Would be 12 on the height..19 wide. E360 Monokey cases have been around a good many years & should hold your pack... Also avail for low $$ & on used mkt all the time

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Monokey cases will be more adaptable since the available Givi side racks are only Monokey style. You could buy 2 Monokey cases & use either on the sides...or just 1 on top. Also..the dimensions you gave for the 35ltr. Would be 12 on the height..19 wide. E360 Monokey cases have been around a good many years & should hold your pack... Also avail for low $$ & on used mkt all the time

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

yeah sorry, I was equating the width of the case to the height of the bag (laying down in the case) but yes. At the moment I do not have intentions of doing the side cases as it would require me to buy new racks (the ones I have are the Happy Trails for soft bags) as I do not think they are compatible with the Monokey cases used on the side.

I will take a look at the E360 if it is a better option than the 35L Monolock.

Back