• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Saddlebags too close to exhaust? Solutions?

Yeah. I also learned the return process on Revzilla is much better than Twisted Throttle.

Totally agree. I have purchased a lot of stuff over the years from RZ and have found their customer support to be top notch. Returns have always been hassle free and quick.

On a related note: how many run hard luggage for offroad trips around Texas? I have decided to return this bags and look for another set of hard bags that fit the Givi rack and maybe get some smaller soft bags in the future?

I had hard aluminum boxes on my KLR - Happy Trails I believe. They were the smaller of the two sizes I have seen. The KLR spent lots of time off road, but no bad crashes. A couple of times I did get my foot caught on something only to have it momentarily cram my leg against the box.

v87kwYo.jpg

Opinions?

I would seriously consider a light piece of sheet metal to place behind this mount and bend it out over the exhaust to serve as a shelf for your bag to rest on.

This shelf would keep your bag off the exhaust and also have the benefit of not being a heat shield clamped around the exhaust that could act as a heat sink.

This would be an easy fix or trial. It would not have to come out very far either. While it may be wide at the top and bottom, you would probably only need to bend a smaller width out between the two bumps on the mount for a shelf.

Hope I painted a good picture to follow my logic with.

Update on this: I ran the Givi racks plus bags (basically the ones pictured in the first post) for hundreds of miles and it seems like they’re completely fine (in cold weather). They don’t seem to touch the exhaust at all thanks to their current ridigidty and the mounting system.

However I decided to get a Mosko Moto heat shield just in case. Is it okay if the bag is touching the heat shield directly or should I still try to keep it clear from the bags?

Here are some pictures of how I currently have it set up but i could definitely move it to cover more bag but it could end up touching it. You can notice how close the edge of the bag is to the top of the exhaust. I could move the heat shield to cover the top of the exhaust which is what’s closest to the bag.

I'd try to keep it off just incase.
If you ride for awhile, how hot does the heat shield get?

I'd try to keep it off just incase.
If you ride for awhile, how hot does the heat shield get?

Every bike will be different, of course. But when I had my '05 Wee, I traveled thousands of miles with the right side of my Cortech soft bags laying squarely on the heat shield. It was never a problem.

Attachments

• 2012-0518 (1).JPG
    2012-0518 (1).JPG
    435.1 KB · Views: 228
Every bike will be different, of course. But when I had my '05 Wee, I traveled thousands of miles with the right side of my Cortech soft bags laying squarely on the heat shield. It was never a problem.
That's why I was curious if he put any miles on it yet.
If the shield doesnt get hot, then no worries

I see that straps on with pipe straps type connector. Is there a way you could bend that mosko into a more u shape at the top that could be pivoted up and under that bag. It only appears to need to be pivoted up and around about 1 inch or so.

I fabed a shield once with the old china bike with a piece of circuit board alumnum. https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwKWVC7pn0kxbGl2Nlc1NWRkS3c

Hey there,

I installed these bags and racking system on a versys x-300 last week and have been scouring the internet for anyone who has come across this very issue.

I have posted on other forums and when I stumpled upon this I actually thought it was a copy paste of my post as the photo looks identical haha.

How are the bags going for you? I'm quite concerned that the bag will touch when there is any weight place in the bag or if it moves slightly during a ride.

I was thinking about making an extension plate for the mounting holding the exhaust to lower it down a wee bit while also placing a heat shield on the exhaust.

Curious to get an update from ya

Hey there,

I installed these bags and racking system on a versys x-300 last week and have been scouring the internet for anyone who has come across this very issue.

I have posted on other forums and when I stumpled upon this I actually thought it was a copy paste of my post as the photo looks identical haha.

How are the bags going for you? I'm quite concerned that the bag will touch when there is any weight place in the bag or if it moves slightly during a ride.

I was thinking about making an extension plate for the mounting holding the exhaust to lower it down a wee bit while also placing a heat shield on the exhaust.

Curious to get an update from ya

Used them for hundreds of miles as is and never noticed a problem. I would check on them regularly and they didn’t feel hot. I just made sure that side was cinched down snug.

I used them without the shield.

I even used them on my two day training going very slow all day and had no problem.

Bike has been sold unfortunately, along with the bags.

Back