• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cheap Pelican cases on eBay

Beach

Reaction score
These cases have been used, have holes in them, no foam and are a ghastly INTERNATIONAL ORANGE. But they are only $20.00 each (10 per case, 10 per case to ship)

Over on ADVrider they are buying them up to use as hard bags on DS bikes. I have just bought some to play with and see what can be done with them.

Here's the auction number - 150081544286

There were 50 available a little while ago

I got four of them last week. Very dirty and well used, but serviceable. I'm patching the holes in three of them with JB Stick as soon as it gets a bit warmer in the garage. I'll probably just paint them with bedliner. Saves me from having to do a lot of sanding when the patches are done.

I won't use mine as panniers, but I may use one of them as a top box on the Super Sherpa. One of the others will be used as a "mobile base station" for my ham radio. The holes are perfect for mounting a cooling fan and power/antenna cables.

Last edited:
TexBiker said:
I got four of them last week. Very dirty and well used,... I'll probably just paint them with bedliner. Saves me from having to do a lot of sanding when the patches are done.
QUOTE]

How about a write up when you do the bedliner painting? Do you plan to prep the boxes or do some type of primer coat to get good adhesion? Are there any preferred brands of the off the shelf, spray on bed liner paints?
Any and all pointers would be welcome, as I am planning on applying some type of dark coating to mine.

No extensive prep necessary...same as the other bedliner projects I've described in a few other threads. Just clean and degrease surface first and maybe scuff them up with some sandpaper if they are too smooth. I use Dupli-Color bedliner, but only because that's what they sell at the Pep Boys near my house. I've never tried anything else. Works on everything from gunstocks to body panels.

The cases came out fine. I used two coats of bedliner. Same texture as my GS tank pictured below.

gs21.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my three. I emailed seller on 01/25/07 to ask when to expect delivery. It turns out that DHL just dropped them off at the apartment complex office without leaving me any type of delivery notification. They've been sitting in the complex office for a week. Complex manager thought DHL would put a notice on my door (NOT! :thumbd: boo DHL).

Well, they are just as advertised and just as other have described. Holes everywhere from cooling fans to antenna runs and mounting holes. Dirty? That is something of an understatement. They must have stored them under the 18 wheeler tractor in a wheel well :rofl:

Worth the few bucks spent? Definately, they'll be patched and painted and see use, even if not an panniers, they have a whole lot of life left in them.

Well, just finished washing the cases for the 2nd time. 1st time with Dawn dish detergent / 2nd with Simple Green, for anyone following my mis-steps, I suggest skip 1st wash (Dawn) and go directly to 2nd wash, (Simple Green); I didn't have any earlier.

I also picked up some bits and peices I plan to try. I have some of the adhesive screen and epoxy putty I plan to try on the larger holes.
But for some of the smaller holes, I bought some stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts. I plan to try fitting the bolts through the holes, filled with silicone and dogging off tight, with flat washers on each side. While I am trying to achieve some level of water-tightness, I don't plan to dive with these cases, so this may be adequate to keep out rain and spray. We'll see :rider:

I also bought some different size reflectors, some with aluminum mount plates and some oblong shaped, with adhesive tape backing. I plan to try these to cover the repaired holes on at least 1 case, still filing the holes with expoy putty first.

Finally, a couple of cans of Dupli Color spray on bed liner (thanks TexBiker) for the exterior paint, after the hole repairs, prior to the reflectors mounted.

Get you some thin aluminum sheet metal, some silicone, and some pop rivets and those cases will never leak again!!!

Beach said:
These cases have been used, have holes in them, no foam and are a ghastly INTERNATIONAL ORANGE. But they are only $20.00 each (10 per case, 10 per case to ship)

Over on ADVrider they are buying them up to use as hard bags on DS bikes. I have just bought some to play with and see what can be done with them.

Here's the auction number - 150081544286

There were 50 available a little while ago

There is a thread on Adventure Rider about patching the holes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195528&highlight=pelican

At that price, worth the trouble.

Lee

Oops, too slow. I was going to attach the Adv Rider link. They have all the details and photos on how-to fix, bracket, et all.
Geez, with the antenna hole you could put that antenna you wanted to add for VHF-UHF onto the box, and have a safe enclosure for a mobile rig. Like the radio enclosure on PD m/c.

Hmm, now I will have to ponder. I would be able to put the control panel remotely from the rig, and antenna and the radio would be safe in a case.
Hmm, bed liner spray, and fiberglass and Bondo, hmm...... Nice project for when next stuck inside.
:-)

Well I was stuck in the cage for 500 miles yesterday and had some time to thing about what to do with my cases. I will be doing my version of patches and repairs over the next couple of days (yep, brought them with me) and as it looks now, that third case may become a truck bed catch-all case for tools, tow ropres, tie downs, tec.

SirWilhelm said:
Geez, with the antenna hole you could put that antenna you wanted to add for VHF-UHF onto the box, and have a safe enclosure for a mobile rig. Like the radio enclosure on PD m/c.

Hmm, now I will have to ponder. I would be able to put the control panel remotely from the rig, and antenna and the radio would be safe in a case.
At our ARES meeting last week one of the guys had his setup within a plastic .50 cal type box. It could have been a Pelican or something similar since it did have an o-ring in the lid. He had his power supply, radio, meter, and a fan inside the case. Had a coax connection coming through the side of the box. All he had to do was open the case, plug in power, hook up the antenna, and he was in business.

Here's how mine have turned out so far. I used an epoxy paste called PC-11 and sheetrock screen for the patches and DupliColor spray-on bedliner (thanks TexBiker for the info on that) for the exterior surfaces, Krylon for plastics (Fusion?) for the interior.
Now I just need to find me a dual sport bike to hang them off of.

1000030mg5.jpg

I bought a 3 pack of these stick-on, battery operated LED lights to mount on the inside of the lid so I can find things in the dark
1000034qx8.jpg

I plan to mount these reflectors on the rear facing part of the cases, when mounted
1000035or9.jpg

1000031ya2.jpg

Total cost, per case is about $40.00, including the case and shipping, paint, patch material, LED light and reflector.

Yeah - i actually followed those threads! But alas... NONE FOR SALE!!! :giveup:

I'll keep checking the 'bay and see if more come up.

Thanks, I just picked up 3.

Let's see... a nice gun case, an SV topcase and a leftover.

Now, should I use the Loctite putty method or just use some aluminum sheeting, silicone and rivets?

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1508p.html

Hmmm... this would be pretty close to perfect for a range case application. Those film holders look to be the perfect size for choke tube cases.

I'm leaning towards a patch and epoxy job. I'm definitely going to go with the bedliner exterior and probably black krylon for plastics interior.

I'm pretty excited about these, can't wait until I get them in.

I have had my $20 case on for a while no with no issues. No paint or anything fancy, just patched with sillycone and some aluminum scrap.

Back