• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

40,000 miles in 40 days

We had a brief discussion about this run on the Dust Bowl Beemers group, and I surmised that past a certain point, accomplishing such a feat isn't about riding or motorcycles at all. There's something else going on there mentally. Either way, it's a noteworthy accomplishment. But I am curious as to the true psychological drives behind doing it.

I think that applies to so many things. For example, the Nick Sanders ride around the world appeals to me not one bit, yet Steve's 40K run is something I followed daily.

Why do bull riders strap themselves to the back of an 1,800 pound behemoth?

Why do mountain climbers strive to climb the highest peaks on all the continents?

If scientists could find which gene is ticked "on" to create these behaviors I'm not sure that I would want mine ticked. As of now, I'm content with the occasional 1000 mile or 1500 mile run, but I do appreciate what it takes to do 12,000+ miles in 11 days every two years and I know I don't have that in me.

So the circumference of the planet earth is 28000 miles at the equator (give or take if I member) but can't be circumnavigated due to the large bodies of saltwater between the landmasses. One day they will be doing a raid on mars, no water to get in the way there.

Question, what is the equatorial circumference of Mars (none of that kilometer bvllxxxx)?

Last edited:
I just still marvel at the thought of 40 days straight off of work. I seem to find it tough to string together a week off without having to handle work projects.

Yeah, I don't know what he does for a living, or if he's retired. There seems to be a lot of independent contractors / business owners in the LD community. As for me, I'm still working for The Man, and will be for a while yet. :-(

We had a brief discussion about this run on the Dust Bowl Beemers group, and I surmised that past a certain point, accomplishing such a feat isn't about riding or motorcycles at all. There's something else going on there mentally. Either way, it's a noteworthy accomplishment. But I am curious as to the true psychological drives behind doing it.

It's the ultimate crank measuring contest Tim... :yawn:

GOOD LAWD...I have done 800 one day, and 5 the next, and I was beat. I can't even imagine 40k. That is just amazing, unthinkable. Just wow.

I hear you. I did about 650 on a day a couple times and I was totally beat to death when I got off the bike, but considering I was on my 02 DL1000 with a 75/25 tire on front and back I figure I could have gone further if I had a set of something like Pilot's or a smoother road tire. Still, pushing 1000 miles a day constantly for 40 days... Not sure I could ever want to do it, even with a gun held to my noggin.

(from his FB page)

ONE WEEK LATER

Any desire to ride has not come back. No surprise there! Also, the bike needs Lots of love and attention. Soon enough I'll have to take it apart, replace what needs replacing, and clean everything everywhere. The bike IS the dirtiest it-has-ever-been.

As for myself; My fingers hurt, but luckily only when I move them. They built-up some muscle; in just one position though. So, the first few days they kind of snapped when I flexed them.

My neck is dealing with the same odd-muscles situation, and with the freedom to achieve full mobility (no helmet and jacket getting in the way). Thats the thing it dislikes most. Its like being on crutches for six-weeks. If you don't flex the joint fully it'll stiffen-up.

Overall my body/bones/muscles ache a bit. Nothing that keeps me from doing anything. I realized shortly after returning to a normal life that my body did indeed build-up new muscles ...but while sitting! So, standing and walking for the first few days my body was like, What? You want to do that too?! I felt 'heavy' while walking.

Home and work life has gotten back to normal. I've taken care of dozens of little things that got pushed off. Nothing forgotten (or at least I think so!). Back to the grind and home improvements. And, relaxing. Lots of patio time. :)

Lastly, Micki & I will be putting together some deeper information about the ride, stats, the bike, etc, etc. It'll take some time to gather all that, so be sure to "Like" the CycleShit Page to get notices; https://www.facebook.com/CycleShit/

Thanks for Following Along. I Had A Great Time! Very Happy I completed my goal. And, really appreciated everyone's help, comments, and input.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=2ad907303e97eda6ac30681c86307ac3&oe=5B8912C0

Last edited by a moderator:
Be real interesting to know how he laid out the logistics, how often did he change things out like his gear and helmets, timing for the needed tire changes and oil changes to allow him to keep on schedule.

He will be a great testimony for someone's gear as that many 1000 mile days you cant do in discomfort
A friend, Carl Davies here in Austin, had set a Guinness record for the longest motorcycle trip within one country by travelling 27,3xx miles in 30 days here in the USA. He hit all 4 corners of the country, looping back through the geographical center in Kansas.
Someone beat his record, but it took them close to a year, as there is no time limit on it.
This ride? You could borrow the Goodyear test track and just snooze it.
Talk about MONKEY-BUTT!

Pretty remarkable. I, too, would love to know the logistics involved. I'm sure the story will continue to unfold.

Wow! My hat is off to him. Having done several 1K miles days because I had to getting home to go offshore to work in my BMW Rallyrat days when working 7/7.
Would be very interesting to read his log book on the feat.

The previous world record of 31,000 miles in 31 days has stood for decades, and I don't know how long this one will last.

Apparently, not very long.

This one flew completely under the radar with no publicity. Here's the email I received from the IBA:

On July 10, 2018, Matt Wise has a set a new record, riding his 2015 BMW R1200GSA a total of 45,425.5 (GPS) miles in 45 days!

While the ride is pending verification, IBA officials were aware of Matt's goals and was tracking it as it unflolded, so there should be no issues with verification.

Matt started planning this ride in March of 2016 at the IBA Pizza Party when we announced that Dave Zien had ridden his Harley-Davidson 31,000 miles in 31 days during our rider recognition segment at the party.

Matt's trip would be anchored around retracing Ron Ayres' 48 state route. He would fill in the other days by hitting the four corners of the US, doing the Lap of Florida and the Ride Around Texas as well as some local riding loops and day trips from his home. Matt even managed to take a quick time out and have dinner with the group of riders doing the cross-country George A. Wyman Memorial ride in Laramie Wyoming.

Matt's SPOTWALLA track is located at:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=18f865b00c11a2cbc8&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Some interesting statistics from the ride:

45 days (1074.5 hours start to finish)

45,425.5 miles

1,195 gallons of gas

23 hotel stays

4 rear tires

2 front tires

2 sets of brakes

3 oil changes

6 unpaid days off from work

Matt went on to say:

"It was the ride of a lifetime and over way to soon. Some days were better than others, but every day was better than being in the office."

**************************/////////////////////////////////***********************

I had 95 hours of seat time during my recent 11 day journey. I can't imagine multiplying that by more than ten times!

Most everything above make sense to me, but why TWO sets of brakes?

Last edited:
And the hits just keep on coming. Read this to the end.

A 48 State Insanity is riding all lower 48 states AND getting to Alaska within 10 days.

IBA eStore Support
Wed, Jul 25, 10:43 PM (19 hours ago)
to me

This certification came out of verification today - it speaks for itself:

48 States Plus Double Insanity!
Insane Back to Back 48 State Plus Rides in 20 days!

This is to Certify that in July of 2018, Tom Loegering rode a BMW K1200LT through the 48 contiguous United States of America, western Canada and Alaska, not once, but twice in 19 days, 4 hours, 4 minutes! Mr. Logering's stunning 17,369-mile journey started in California continued on to Florida, Maine, and Washington, twisting and turning to ride in each state before ending in Alaska where Mr. Loegering surely lost his mind and decided to turn around and complete the 49 state ride a second time before returning to California!

In August of 2011, Mr. Loegering was the first rider to complete the 48 States Plus Double Insanity. In July of 2018 at 80 years old, he completed this ride a second time to become the only rider to have not only completed this insanity, but also finish it two times!

Congratulations to 1993 & 1999 Iron Butt Rally finisher Tom Loegering

He’s 80? I guess that means I have no excuses except for the shoulder. Once that is resolved, I’ll go get my SS1000.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

And this one just popped up. Greg Rice (Travel_Man on many forums) will be attempting his 50th Bun Burner Gold (BBG) which is 1,500 miles or more in under 24 hours.

His Spotwalla is still showing his last ride, but here's the link anyhow... https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5

He should be live at 2 am Saturday EST.

Back