• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1/28 ''It's been a while'' Dual Sport Ride

Reaction score
So while it didn't really seem to me that we got that much rain, the road conditions were pretty gnarly. If I had known, I would have swapped the wheel set to a knobbier one prior.
But that did not happen, and I spent every mile focusing on keeping the bike upright and NOT breaking bones. Consequently I only rode about an hour before calling it quits- I refuse to be an anchor for a group, holding everyone back.
I was one of three that eventually went down, although mine was not as public as William Wolfen's. No harm to anyone or bike, that's all that matters, eh?
I bailed on the group when we popped out of San Houston National Forest and were back on pavement, so I only have a few pictographs from Sunday.

Attachments

• 1.28.18.12.jpg
    1.28.18.12.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 1.28.18.9.jpg
    1.28.18.9.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 307
  • 1.28.18.8.jpg
    1.28.18.8.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 1.28.18.7.jpg
    1.28.18.7.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 1.28.18.6.jpg
    1.28.18.6.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 304
A few more...

Attachments

• 1.28.18.11.jpg
    1.28.18.11.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 1.28.18.10.jpg
    1.28.18.10.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 296
  • 1.28.18.5.jpg
    1.28.18.5.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 290
Thanks Chris. Believe I've been there and done that. That mud run looks way too familiar for some reason. Last time there had been some mud boggers who'd prepped it for us just before we got there. UGLY! Took the group a while to get past it. Adventure! :giveup:

It generally improved after that section, though it still wasn't easy. We only made it halfway, ate lunch, and then rode pavement back. I'll save this route for drier times in the future, though it was a nice challenge. Sore today, but that will improve. Oddly, it's my right arm and shoulder that are sore despite falling on the left.

I swear my tires were out of balance on the way home with all of the mud that was stuck to the rims!!!! The bike was really vibrating!!! I got home and washed it off and realized there where good sized pebbles and rocks that were part of the stuck on gunk. Took the bike back out for a drying ride after I washed it and the ride was smooth as butter.

None the less....fun ride as always.

It's sometimes good for us to have those reality check rides. Sometimes I'll see a video of someone riding something and think....that doesn't look hard, why is he struggling through that. I'm sure seeing some of the stuff from yesterday on video would produce similar questions from me if I hadn't been riding in it. :lol2:

Thanks for putting the ride together. I had a blast. I didn't feel that confident riding to New Waverly - in fact stopped at the New Waverly high school parking lot to practice some slow speed maneuvers. I think that helped me a lot.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for putting the ride together. I had a blast. I didn't feel that confident riding to New Waverly - in fact stopped at the New Waverly high school parking lot to practice some slow speed maneuvers. I think that helped me a lot.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You did really well on that big bike. I was pretty impressed. I'll have to try that next time to get warmed up.

I’m glad I pulled the plug on making the ride. It looks like it was some good fun, but I was still hobbling around Sunday morning. Rode the bike a little today, but couldn’t stand on pegs for more than about 10 sec before feeling like I was making it worse. Hopefully I’ll be able to hit some trails after this weekend....Glad y’all had fun and no one/bike was hurt! I’ll see y’all at the next one!

"Gary Rys

Had a great time out there with you guys slip sliding in the sloop.
But this will be my last ride for awhile. Sunday night around 7pm I had a major heart attack, so still waiting in ICU to get it taken care of.
Getting old sucks.
Thanks Ian for the past few months of rides you hosted for us."

Not sure if y'all saw this.

"Gary Rys

But this will be my last ride for awhile. Sunday night around 7pm I had a major heart attack, so still waiting in ICU to get it taken care of.
Getting old sucks.

I did not. Who is this?... I'm not recognizing the name.

I don't know him, this is from ODODB site, says he was on the ride Sunday, I wasn't on the ride. 60 years old, maybe on a DRZ.

"Gary Rys

Getting old sucks.

Thank goodness it did not happen while out on the ride!!

I don't know him, this is from ODODB site, says he was on the ride Sunday, I wasn't on the ride. 60 years old, maybe on a DRZ.
Wow! ODODB sure getting their share the past year.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Yep, he ran sweep on his DRZ the last time I rode with y’all at New Waverly. Was totally understanding and helpful while I was making tons of newbie mistakes! I hope he gets well soon so we can hit the trails again!

Wow....I've only ridden with Gary a handful of times. He's helped me pick my bike up, always volunteers to run sweep, always has a smile on his face and a word of encouragement for all riders, new and old.

Hoping for a quick recovery Gary. You're in my thoughts.

Back