• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Harley Project

"The swingarm would not be a problem, but the exhaust is unobtanium."

WOW, I have been there, done that. Many, many years ago a shop did some work on my 1977 FXE,and it seems someone there liked to sell parts to buy meth. Had to repo my bike back and still didn't get it all back. SOBs dropped one of the tanks and dented it right on the fat part of the tank. Just was just after it had been painted, striped and the decals stilled and everything clear coated.

Glad to hear you are getting your parts back.
Tom

"The swingarm would not be a problem, but the exhaust is unobtanium."

WOW, I have been there, done that. Many, many years ago a shop did some work on my 1977 FXE,and it seems someone there liked to sell parts to buy meth. Had to repo my bike back and still didn't get it all back. SOBs dropped one of the tanks and dented it right on the fat part of the tank. Just was just after it had been painted, striped and the decals stilled and everything clear coated.

Glad to hear you are getting your parts back.
Tom

thanks, tom, Me too!

I am a little behind in posting progress.
As of now, I am in My pajamas, and can barely walk.
I sprained My back, so a few days off schedule.
The exhaust system, after blasting.
DSCF3271.jpg

DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

Here I have installed the new snaps which hold the seat cover on.

DSCF3268.jpg

DSCF3263.jpg

I am not going to waste any more time posting here, not enough interest to continue.
anyone wishing to follow the build thread can see it at www.motorcyclistcafe.com

Under: Vintage, Harley-Davidson XLCR Café Racer

Don, hate to see this thread stop. I enjoy reading and watching your work progress. May not post a bunch but I read it.

Tom

Yeah, shame to quit posting the progress.... I don't post as I don't own one, but I sure read it.

Don check your PMs! Anyone know Dons phone number please PM it to me I found something for him. Thanks KP.

Last edited:
XLCRs are certainly rare birds; too bad they weren't thunk up when the shifter was on the correct side. ;-)

When they came out I laughed at them as if what were they thinking, same with the coveted boat tailed Super Glide, now after all these years they have grown on me.

Hey fellas, I thought I would pop in and give an update.
Life got in the way, and I am way, way behind on this project, but, I am getting there.
New 1st over pistons, Andrews PB+ cams, programmable electronic ignition, Ceracoat exhaust treatment.
RU$$EL drilled stainless rotors.
Rebuilt forks and new Progressive series 412 shocks.
My buddy painted a base coat, clear coat and it is awesome, no way to get a good picture of it, but the paint looks like it is 3 feet deep.
Motor back in the frame and ready for wheels and new tires.
009_9.jpg

004_9.jpg

012_7.jpg

029_2.jpg

Last edited:
Don ,

I like it ..............................but , junk them front legs man , I'll sell you and extra set of OE Harley XR1200 Upside down forks , and even the front 17in wheel with dual rotors if ya want . I have a couple of body kits also , Even a Tank and Cover . Lets Storz it out .

Here's a pic for Reference .

020_zpsd689f57e.jpg

Never mind , I didn't see the last 2 pics .

It's way better the way you have it , my style for sure Harley Wise , not very many of them make my cull line .

This is a fairly rare bike, less than 4000 built, so I am not making big changes, only mods that I would likely have made if I had it all along.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating Don, I was wondering about it, I remember those on the showroom floor when I bought my 77 XLCH, it came from Conleys in Garland.
same wheels ?
My%20sportster%20NEW._zpsufnsnlbo.jpg

Last edited:
Back