• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Interest in forming adventure riding club?

I see this type of club as striving to promote several types of adventure riding and acquiring land/rights to use land for riding and holding events. I would think the only requirements would be to take part in some way in the activities of the club I.E. clearing and marking trails, setting up routes, leading rides, flagging, judging, PR with potential land owners, cooking and promoting. Another words find some where to be involved. If one was being a "little Hitler" I do not think they would feel good hanging around long, because of the cr** they would get from others.

I see this type of club as striving to promote several types of adventure riding and acquiring land/rights to use land for riding and holding events. I would think the only requirements would be to take part in some way in the activities of the club I.E. clearing and marking trails, setting up routes, leading rides, flagging, judging, PR with potential land owners, cooking and promoting. Another words find some where to be involved. If one was being a "little Hitler" I do not think they would feel good hanging around long, because of the cr** they would get from others.

Yup.

Kids as members of an adventure riding club? Better define adventure riding. How are you going to include all those kids to young for an M endorsement, necessary since adventure riding 1500 miles from home mostly likely will follow a public road or two. As a retired teacher I'll give one bit of advice: I would not put someone else's minor child on a motorcycle I owned or was in charge of, period. Doesn't matter what agreement a parent signs in advance, nothing is going to protect you from greed when the kid bleeds and mom gets a lawyer involved. Nothing.

Kids as members of an adventure riding club? Better define adventure riding. How are you going to include all those kids to young for an M endorsement, necessary since adventure riding 1500 miles from home mostly likely will follow a public road or two. As a retired teacher I'll give one bit of advice: I would not put someone else's minor child on a motorcycle I owned or was in charge of, period. Doesn't matter what agreement a parent signs in advance, nothing is going to protect you from greed when the kid bleeds and mom gets a lawyer involved. Nothing.

That is not the plan to make them members of the organization. I am a juvenile probation officer of 27 years and would like to promote some riding opportunities to some of these kids to get them interested in something other than drugs and video games. I am very aware of the liabilities of this. That is why I would like to pursue getting legislation passed to limit liabilities for land owners and event organizers:deal:

That is not the plan to make them members of the organization. I am a juvenile probation officer of 27 years and would like to promote some riding opportunities to some of these kids to get them interested in something other than drugs and video games. I am very aware of the liabilities of this. That is why I would like to pursue getting legislation passed to limit liabilities for land owners and event organizers:deal:

Way too many years working with the common criminals you think you can fix. Today I am a tax payer aware of the reality you fantasize reforming. Reality says recidivism is much more common than reform, so just lock them up and through away the keys. Real, meaningful, personally painful consequences are much more effective methods of preventing crime than butt-kissing convicted criminals of any age. Fear of real, meaningful, personally painful consequences prevents more crime than reform programs ever will. Ask the FBI for the facts and spare us such feel-good fantasies with their multi-generational histories of failure measured by the thousands of additional victims of crime in spite of the millions of dollars spent. All well documented, ask the FBI.

Seems like momentum is building around the country for this legislation. A few other states with a larger stake in the outdoor action tourism game, have already passed similar legislation. Now their land owners and small biz operators can offer up action adventures which have inherent physical injury risks, without concern of loosing everything they own the first time fate steps in to deal someone a nasty mishap. I sure hope Texas will consider offering this protection to her citizens too. Especially since the state has chosen to leave creating badly needed off-road recreation areas, almost exclusively to the private land owners. I think it is completely lame that if someone gets themselves hurt or killed (as many do every year) on government land, it is considered to be their fault for lack of better judgement. But on private land, it is ALWAYS some how attributable to that greedy old land owner, who for the sake of a couple extra bucks in his pocket, put these poor defenseless citizens in harms way. What a steaming load!!! We need politicians that look out for someone's interest besides their own. In Yellowstone park, buffalo are free to roam on the roadway with the traffic. Should some fool, er, meant to say paying customer, decide to get out of his car for a "close up shot" of that massive bull... And ends up taking a shot from the big Buffy instead. There is no legal action. It is just understood that stupid is what stupid does, and the rest of us keep on going without thinking further about it. Makes for good YouTube foddder, and that's about the end of it... Just as it should be.
Hoping we have success bending someone's ear in Austin about this.

Ghost,
A few thoughts.

On the liability angle. I'm guessing that you are referring to Liability in Tort of Section 87 which outlines when someone can and can't sue a promoter, sponsor or land owner for accidents during a livestock event. Is this what you are wanting to duplicate?

I lieu of additional legislation to limit the risk of tort, what are the other options to prevent unnecessary risk? Has any discussion be had with other clubs like the trail riders of Houston or Texas Motorized Trails Coalition on how they handle their liability?

Just asking because it seems easier to copy those successes.

On membership obligations.
If the club were to have community assets such as equipment, riding leases, etc. then it is reasonable for members to steward those assets. TRH used to have a lease south of Columbus open only to TRH members who participated in work days. This is reasonable requirement because otherwise a bunch of riders would be freeloading on the backs of a few responsible ones.

Beyond this, any obligations for meeting attendance (especially in a statewide organization), minimum mileage, costumes - er um club attire, or any form of membership tests, etc. are likely to keep membership to a minimum.

On charity work
Club charity work is admirable. It is something that may have to happen in two phases. First is by aiding an established charity. Every year AMA D37 donates tons of money and toys to toys for tots, children's cancer and other causes. It's pretty easy to do that way and doesn't require any permanent investment from the club. Giving kids a chance to ride has potential although it will take time to put the opportunities together. Maybe a two pronged approach?

m

Way too many years working with the common criminals you think you can fix. Today I am a tax payer aware of the reality you fantasize reforming. Reality says recidivism is much more common than reform, so just lock them up and through away the keys. Real, meaningful, personally painful consequences are much more effective methods of preventing crime than butt-kissing convicted criminals of any age. Fear of real, meaningful, personally painful consequences prevents more crime than reform programs ever will. Ask the FBI for the facts and spare us such feel-good fantasies with their multi-generational histories of failure measured by the thousands of additional victims of crime in spite of the millions of dollars spent. All well documented, ask the FBI.

And I am not a tax payer? Trust me I have a whole lot invested in this career. I am not gonna take this thread into statistical debate to which I will stand that my field has a documented 30% recidivism which is reflected by FBI data which I contribute everytime I fill out a CR43J Juvenile reporting form that goes where??? Thats right to the FBI. OH...BTW Juvenile crime and numbers are at a historic 40 year low according to those same numbers!:sun:

As to what end the club would go would be a club choice...not mine...I do not desire to create this club for me but for the collective good of the motorcycle community to which I try support through my events of the last several years. A sad existence it will be to discard our youth for dumb choices of their years. I only mentioned that idea since I believe motorcycles kept me out of trouble when I was younger. I was fortunate enough to be born to parents that bought me a bike and supported me racing until I did it on my own. Many kids lack that. I would do it for any kid that had the desire and dedication but lacked resources. Who here is without sin cast the first stone!:deal:

dody you are too be comended for caring about those kids and doing your job 110 percent not just getting paid someone has to care good for you bud .ken h you might want too meat dody before being so harsh on a mans profession .now somebody say something about ridin im in :rider::rider:

Seems like momentum is building around the country for this legislation. A few other states with a larger stake in the outdoor action tourism game, have already passed similar legislation. Now their land owners and small biz operators can offer up action adventures which have inherent physical injury risks, without concern of loosing everything they own the first time fate steps in to deal someone a nasty mishap. I sure hope Texas will consider offering this protection to her citizens too. Especially since the state has chosen to leave creating badly needed off-road recreation areas, almost exclusively to the private land owners. I think it is completely lame that if someone gets themselves hurt or killed (as many do every year) on government land, it is considered to be their fault for lack of better judgement. But on private land, it is ALWAYS some how attributable to that greedy old land owner, who for the sake of a couple extra bucks in his pocket, put these poor defenseless citizens in harms way. What a steaming load!!! We need politicians that look out for someone's interest besides their own. In Yellowstone park, buffalo are free to roam on the roadway with the traffic. Should some fool, er, meant to say paying customer, decide to get out of his car for a "close up shot" of that massive bull... And ends up taking a shot from the big Buffy instead. There is no legal action. It is just understood that stupid is what stupid does, and the rest of us keep on going without thinking further about it. Makes for good YouTube foddder, and that's about the end of it... Just as it should be.
Hoping we have success bending someone's ear in Austin about this.

I don't think it could be said any better than that!
:hail::hail::hail:

(And it was fun and instructional watching you "scope out" the jump over the ditch/creek at Ghost Rancho before making the Photogs wet their pants.. Me? It'd have been one of those "Here . . . hold my beer and watch this!" moments except that I know I'm too old and gimpy and unskilled to even think about it!)

I think Adventure Riding has a couple of different sub sects. Plated dirt bikes riding off road (not any pavement), to big adventure bikes (light off road, county roads, some pavement), to sportier bikes (riding twisty FM roads).

IMO, we shouldn't focus exclusively on off road adventure riding, although that would be a huge part of it.

An adventure rider could be on an R1200, Kawasaki Versys or a WR250, or any bike in between. Or even a Moto Guzzi with sidecar..........

Just my opinion......

Ghost,
A few thoughts.

On the liability angle. I'm guessing that you are referring to Liability in Tort of Section 87 which outlines when someone can and can't sue a promoter, sponsor or land owner for accidents during a livestock event. Is this what you are wanting to duplicate?

I lieu of additional legislation to limit the risk of tort, what are the other options to prevent unnecessary risk? Has any discussion be had with other clubs like the trail riders of Houston or Texas Motorized Trails Coalition on how they handle their liability?

Just asking because it seems easier to copy those successes.

On membership obligations.
If the club were to have community assets such as equipment, riding leases, etc. then it is reasonable for members to steward those assets. TRH used to have a lease south of Columbus open only to TRH members who participated in work days. This is reasonable requirement because otherwise a bunch of riders would be freeloading on the backs of a few responsible ones.

Beyond this, any obligations for meeting attendance (especially in a statewide organization), minimum mileage, costumes - er um club attire, or any form of membership tests, etc. are likely to keep membership to a minimum.

On charity work
Club charity work is admirable. It is something that may have to happen in two phases. First is by aiding an established charity. Every year AMA D37 donates tons of money and toys to toys for tots, children's cancer and other causes. It's pretty easy to do that way and doesn't require any permanent investment from the club. Giving kids a chance to ride has potential although it will take time to put the opportunities together. Maybe a two pronged approach?

m
Yes that is what I am referencing. As to some of the other you mentioned, this will not be any kind or form of MC. I figured out long ago that trying to get motorcyclists to do something is about like herding cats! You will not be forced to wear or do anything you don't want to do. I would like instill rewards for those who bust their butt in helping out. Trail busting is hard work and not many seem to be ready to come do that but yet want equal access to ride them. That is not fair and I think a guide should be in place to help share responsibility in that regard:ponder:

Donnie, you make some very good points and I agree with them. That is why Texas riders NEED to make this happen. After talking to several members about AMA, I question how much value they are to a Texas rider. That is why so many clubs have disassociated themselves from the AMA. One of the main advantages for AMA is liability insurance for events. I would like to know who is insuring these events if insured at all. I was informed that some are NOT insured and that is fine on public lands but no private land owner wants that risk:shrug:

I think there is enough interest in your proposal Ghostrider. How do we want to kick this off? Keep going on TWT, email chain, face-to-face meeting? Are there any here that can participate in the legislation aspect, say a lobbyist or a connection with a state rep perhaps? The equestrian release is already out there so it's not like re-inventing the wheel, but we have to start somewhere. The year is just starting and the Texas Legislature meets in regular session on the second Tuesday in January of each odd-numbered year. The Texas Constitution limits the regular session to 140 calendar days. We've got some time, let's use it to our advantage.

*snip*

...Trail busting is hard work and not many seem to be ready to come do that but yet want equal access to ride them. That is not fair and I think a guide should be in place to help share responsibility in that regard:ponder:
*snip*

Have (itty-bitty) Chain Saw (that needs the carb cleaned, I'm told, but I can do that), Will Travel!
(but not this week/wknd)

Last edited:
Tony, Neil and I tried to push and rub back some of your shrubby!
Dody Thanks for the chance to ride your place.

I am sure y'all did not offend any of my brush:trust:I plan to continue this but I don't see this getting done before PTAR in April. Any you guys with direct knowledge of riding event insurance please contact me. Several groups I have contacted have come back to AMA or no insurance. (Dependent on landowner liability policy to cover things):doh:

Talked to a friend over lunch about getting legislation crafted similar to absolving equestrian liability. His contacts at the state level could garner us much needed representation. If we want to move forward with this, let me know and I will keep the momentum with my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked to a friend over lunch about getting legislation crafted similar to absolving equestrian liability. His contacts at the state level could garner us much needed representation. If we want to move forward with this, let me know and I will keep the momentum with my friend.

That is what we need. My local representative is embroiled in a tight re-election bid. He did not seem interested in working with it. Anyone know Brent Graves? He is the opponent and would be glad to support him if he wants to work with this:ponder:

That is what we need. My local representative is embroiled in a tight re-election bid. He did not seem interested in working with it. Anyone know Brent Graves? He is the opponent and would be glad to support him if he wants to work with this:ponder:

PM me. I'll be seeing him Monday evening- maybe we can talk on the phone about it.

I'd like to take a minute & get back to this idea. After a little discussion, I don't much care for the AMA part myself.

Specifically, let's discuss the "meat" of what Dody mentioned.

1) organize structured events/rallies for the club and general riding public

I have a great time at events that Dody hosts, like Roll the Bones & last years Possum Trot, & I'm very much looking forward to Strom A Thon this year put on by Rod. If we formed a club, we could buy cheaper insurance for events. We could also spread a little of the planning & work around, so we dont work Dody or his helpers to death. That would lead to a few more events, all around the state (Id like to have an event in the east Texas forests also).

What I'd really like to see (eventually) is all events offering routes covering 3 aspects of ADV riding. An offroad challenge course, a dirt road route, & a twisty pavement route. (with friendly competition between teams drawn from certain areas of the state).

2) I want to push for legislation to prevent liability exposure for landowners that host events like the legislation that was passed for equestrian events.

This is a great idea. We could also support, write, & advise elected officials on all areas of motorcycle riding that we enjoy. I'd like to support efforts to end "chip sealing" on my favorite roads. I'd also support lane splitting legislation. Anything that is motorcycle/ADV related.

What I'd really like to see, personally, is a club that encompasses all aspects of Adventure riding, for riders all over the state. I see it as 3 distinctive genres. 1) Off-road riding 2) mixed dirt/pavement 3) twisty paved roads. Anyone who straps bags on a bike, takes the long way to where they are going, & enjoys seeing things they have never seen before.

Other aspects of the club should be
1) establishing a detailed map of dirt roads/backroads county by county
2) establish routes from major areas to other major areas of the state, by dirt roads/backroads
3) finish out a map of dirt roads & FM roads that cross the entire state. The Red to Rio route we've all talked about, an El Paso to Beaumont route & an El Paso to Paris route.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. I'd like to get a list started of interested riders, if there is any! If I'm involved, its gonna have to be simple, drama free & BS free. I'd also like to briefly discuss this idea at Strom A Thon & at the Possum Kingdom Invitational. I am looking for any related ideas, so if you have any, let's hear them.

Last edited:
Back