• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cycle gear to buy Revzilla !!

I've bought lots of stuff from CG. There are at least 4 stores around town, and at the nearest one the guys know me by name and treat me right. If you can tell quality from so-so gear, then don't buy what you don't like. It doesn't take away the fact that they are quite often the only brick-n-mortar store that carry consistent stock.

Last big item I bought there was their hitch hauler for $119. Fantastic price and superb quality. I found out it was missing a couple of pieces after opening in it, went back to the store the next day, clerk remembered me, and ripped into another box and gave me the parts. That's service! And they don't charge premium for that, unlike most moto dealers, who seem to believe it's their God given rights to.

CG offer an invaluable service to the motorcycle community AFAIAC. I buy a ton of stuff online too, including from Revzilla. Love their reviews. Anthony is the consummate salesman and I hope he continues his gig. But online is a cut throat gig, and Revzilla probably needs the CG deep corporate pocket and economy of scale, as much as CG needs a premium online presence.

I, for one, don't see any gloom and doom.

Last edited:
On the one hand, if this deal actually goes down I couldn't blame Anthony Bucci & co for taking the money and running.
http://www.phillymag.com/business/2015/07/14/revzilla-anthony-bucci/

On the other, that impeccable service and product knowledge that made Revzilla such a success is bound to suffer. I sincerely hope the availability of the top brand high end gear doesn't suffer as well.

I'd never be seen in Built gear but there's a few select items like their Freeze-Out base layer stuff which I highly recommend. CG's return policy is crazy liberal too. Sedici has a lifetime warranty - even on their electrics which I believe are the same as Keis from the UK.
http://www.keisapparel.co.uk/page/3/?s=controller&post_type=product
That's not a bad thing in light of the Gerbing/Gyde Supply warranty issues of late.

My beef with Cycle Gear is the general don't know don't care attitude I get from many of their personnel. Their employee turnover has got to be ridiculous.

Last edited:
While by no means a large sample size, the equipment I've purchased at Cycle Gear has provided very good value. Sure, a Bilt helmet will lag behind Arai or Shoei, but then again, it's not intended to go toe-to-toe with $600+ lids.

It's become fashionable to slam CG, kind of like everyone jumped on the Trailwings/"Deathwings" bandwagon, when in reality both perform their stated purposes extremely well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price matching, tire mounting (YMMV?)

They usually will price match if you're a good customer, they have long store hours and if you throw out your back and need a tire mounted you bought online or elsewhere they'll do it for $25.

Price match policy is explicit and not based on your customer status:
http://www.cyclegear.com/bestprice

My local CG charges $25 to mount and balance tires bought from CG, and $50 for tires bought elsewhere. Maybe your location is different, or maybe they like you better than me. ;)

My local CG charges $25 to mount and balance tires bought from CG, and $50 for tires bought elsewhere. Maybe your location is different, or maybe they like you better than me. ;)[/QUOTE]

This is the same in Austin.
Wasnt that way about two years ago.

They knew the dealers wouldnt mount tires they didnt sell for "liability" reasons.

Good for CG to charge more and help out those that dont have the tools to do it themselves.

Got no problem with CG
Just hope the leave RZ as it is and not just give a link to CG website when you visit RZ.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs.

I guess that means they'll start charging state sales tax as well on each Revzilla order...

Probably. Add another 8.25% to that total sir.

What a pity. Revzilla has earned a high ranking on my online retailer list, right up there with Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and a few select others. I just ordered a pair of Airglide3 pants from them this morning. Hope they maintain something of their identity.

The majority of motorcyclists have limited discretionary income, which is where lines like Bilt provide a decent product at a decent price. While I love my Fox & Alpinestar gear, not everyone has the funds to procure top-of-the-line equipment.

As mentioned, CG and Revzilla exist in separate universes. Often the most cost-effective way to enter a new market is to buy an company with a proven track record. If 'Zilla's margins are compatible with CG, they might be best served to allow that business model to continue.

The CG guys in Plano have always treated me respectfully and professionally, probably because I treat them the same. I was a Bates loyalist until relocating to Heath made them geographically undesirable. CG had one chance to earn my business, and they performed admirably.

Bottom line: a world with CG in it is better than a world without it.

My Sedici mesh power ranger suit is holding up well. The Bilt gloves, not so much. I don't see myself buying another Bilt helmet after returning two for being junk. But hey, CG took them back with no fuss, and I used the refund to buy an AGV helmet, from CG.

Bilt soft saddle bags for $50 were a good deal. The tank bag is still in use.

CG Trackside stands do the job. They sell Pitbul stands there, too.

Every other thing being 50% off every other week or month is also cool. Seriously, don't pay the full tag price at CG unless you need it like right when you walk in. It'll be on sale very soon.

I've noticed what brands depends on what CG. The one in Plano had more brands than the one in Bedford about a year ago.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but does Revzilla even have brick/mortar stores somewhere? Or are they strictly an internet presence?

@RevZilla Dont sell to CycleGear. Any sale to a private equity group will ruin the magic and focus on "max shareholder value". Stay strong.

For many years I was loyal to Cycle Gear, and then when the Bilt stuff supplanted the name brands on the shelves and racks, I had to go elsewhere to find the products that fit correctly.

I feel like the guys that stared Revzilla are living the American Dream by selling out to a hedge fund/venture capital firm that has no passion for the product or the sport …just trying to earn the 1% their due.
Klim sold out and I am still trying to tract their performance and attitude. For the short term we will be OK but long term there is no passion (cue Anthony telling about going down in Alaska while he reviews boots) for the sport until the next innovators come along!
Hold that good thought.

Hey tshelfer, I gathered from some of the postings that the idea is for Revzilla to use the Cycle Gear format to enter the brick and mortar venue.

By coincidence I spoke with one of ZLA yesterday, said nothing will change about their operation and will retain their name. We'll see

Cycle gear has its place, it's convenient, and carries a number of useful items. I prefer buying things (jacket, gloves, helmets) that I can try on first. The guys here at the Almeda store are eager to help. And yeah, sometimes it's like breaking up a social group, but they're all talking about riding and that creates a personable experience, a conversation that you can get involved in. I never feel disrespected there.

The only problem I've had is what I refer to as the "Autozone" situation. I was looking for a sprocket with 39 teeth compared to my 41. The gentleman behind the counter was having a hard time locating my bike model in his parts book. Its a Ninja 1000, and he kept calling it a Z-1000. I said no, that's a similar bike, but it's a different model all together. I had to correct him about three times. Then when he "found" my bike, I was informed that 39 tooth was the stock sprocket. I said no, this 41 in my hand is the stock one. This is the first time it has come off since the factory. "Well maybe the book is wrong, but its highly unlikely." I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't think it was the book, it was him looking at the wrong model.

Cycle gear has its place, it's convenient, and carries a number of useful items. I prefer buying things (jacket, gloves, helmets) that I can try on first. The guys here at the Almeda store are eager to help. And yeah, sometimes it's like breaking up a social group, but they're all talking about riding and that creates a personable experience, a conversation that you can get involved in. I never feel disrespected there.

The only problem I've had is what I refer to as the "Autozone" situation. I was looking for a sprocket with 39 teeth compared to my 41. The gentleman behind the counter was having a hard time locating my bike model in his parts book. Its a Ninja 1000, and he kept calling it a Z-1000. I said no, that's a similar bike, but it's a different model all together. I had to correct him about three times. Then when he "found" my bike, I was informed that 39 tooth was the stock sprocket. I said no, this 41 in my hand is the stock one. This is the first time it has come off since the factory. "Well maybe the book is wrong, but its highly unlikely." I didn't have the heart to tell him that I didn't think it was the book, it was him looking at the wrong model.

They're not the best for all purposes, but I like them for a lot of little peripheral things. In fact, I'm headed over there in a few minutes to pick up an extra pair of their Freeze Out glove liners. Not only are they good motorcycle glove liners, they're perfect for jogging on cold days, or wearing in a cold campground but when you don't want to wear a full glove.

I have no complaints against Cycle Gear, why all the hate?

_

my observations are that the quality of the house brand has been a lot higher than I expected (I bought some of it expecting it to be throwaway quality but it's turned out to be some of my favorite stuff), and also that the kids who work there have been fun and pleasant, at least better than the local dealers. It's not an ideal experience but it hasn't completely sucked either.

I'm still a newenough.com guy 4life, but I suspect this won't be a horrible thing.

Newenough is a good place.
They have been around for a long time.
Stopped by their place to try on a jacket years ago when i was driving to Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs.

I LOVE NewEnough - actually, they're now MotorcycleGear.com. Their only problem is their sole showroom is in Lubbock.

On the plus side, they personally test most of their gear and give very honest reports on it; I've seen them recommend against buying certain pieces of gear they have in stock. Also, if you call, they'll bend over backwards to help you with fitment; that help is what got me into my perfectly fitting Nolan helmet. And they make returns cheap and easy. Hard not to love that.

Back