• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2002 Bandit 1200 - Engine Cuts Out

Reaction score
Hey all, my '02 GSF1200 daily driver developed a weird issue overnight that maybe you can help with. Even my mechanic is stumped.

It's been running fine lately, well maintained and no warning signs of any major issues. A couple mornings ago I started it and let it warm up for a couple minutes like usual, then when I got on and went to back out the driveway the engine cut out. Started it back up, put it in first, tried to go and same thing -- The engine just shuts off as if I hit the kill switch or tried to take off with the kickstand down. Bypassing the kickstand and clutch switches didn't solve it.

It starts and runs great on the center stand or if I'm sitting on it holding it upright, but as soon as I lean it or even shake it hard when it's on the center stand it dies. All the electrical stays on and neutral light works fine.

Thinking it might be a faulty tip over sensor, but I can't locate one on this bike and am thinking this year model didn't include one -- Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance!

I won't be much help but I can confirm there's NO tip-over switch to worry about. You might consider disassembling the throttle cluster, which has the starter switch and kill switch components. Clean them thoroughly and see what happens.

I've had full electrics but nothing would happen when pressing the starter button - took it apart and it was all corroded. Perhaps the internals of the kill switch are not allowing the contact to be returned to the proper position.

Good luck and post up what you find.

Thanks for confirming about the lack of tip over switch. I'll give that a try inspecting the kill switch, but I kind of doubt that's where the problem lies since it has no issues firing up :/

I'm thinking the problem is fuel related somehow but I'm not savvy enough to know what could be causing the fuel flow to cut out by being tipped or shaken. Starting/running it with the selector on Reserve seems to be marginally better but doesn't fix anything. It has a half tank of fresh fuel and I added some Seafoam thinking it might be a buildup/clogging issue at first.

Will keep the thread updated! Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

kick stand kill switch,clutch switch,loose connections on battery, self diagnostic when you first turn ign switch (Fuel Injection) Hit handle bars while on stand idleing etc. Cut out problems are a real nightmare, and they NEVER fix themselves. try google and describe problem, someone somewhere has had this problem. Good Luck

Any recent changes to bike before issue? Change battery, add any electrical equipment? I am quite versed with the bandit. Pm me if you want a phone # to talk about it.

The day before it started I gave the rear end a good wipe-down to clean off all the built up road grime, grease around the chain and on the wheel, etc... But can't imagine how that would cause it. And it ran great that whole day following the cleaning.

The battery was getting weak and needed a jump (from my car) a couple times in the past few weeks, so when the problem started the first thing I did was throw in a new battery which didn't solve it.

I'm going to mess around with it some more but may take you up on your offer to try and troubleshoot over the phone -- Thanks!

Trace the ground wire from the Battery to the engine block. Remove it, not just tighten it, and clean both sides of the connection with Scotchbrite. Coat the entire connector with Vaseline and re-tighten.
Let us know what you find out.

Tried sanding the ground lead, both battery terminals and cables, took apart the kill switch and cleaned that as well. Also topped it off with fresh fuel...
It started and ran stronger than ever but still cuts out when I shake it hard. Once I killed it by shaking it it refused to turn back over -- that might be a clue.

Here's a quick video of it:
https://youtu.be/3bDpRWz_mKQ

OK, watched video. Looks like you shook bike while idling and handlebars swung to the right. Motor died at this point.

1. Starter and clocks still working. Assume key switch OK and whole machine has power.

2. Handlebar moved-- bike died. Best guess, loom from RHS handlebar switchgear broken/ chafed or connector or wires loose/ corroded at either end. Unplug this loom from main loom (inside nosecone) and test. Never had a 1200 but I assume very similar to 1250 in this regard.

Circling back here (months later...) to let anyone interested know that it was indeed a faulty wiring issue. I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact spot, but after taking apart the headlamp assembly where all the wiring is packed inside, disconnecting and re-connecting everything, etc. it cleared up the issue almost entirely.

Hope that might help someone with a similar problem in the future. Thanks everyone for your input!

Back