• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The latest model V-Strom handguards fit the B1250

Reaction score
I wanted some handguards for my Bandit 1250SA and read many of the threadsnand watched some of the videos of fitting Wee-Strom handguards and also the ones for the DL1000. A local dealer happened to have a set for the big V-Strom but they were for the current model which are different that the style for previous generation V-Stroms.

They fit. Better yet, they are rather inexpensive compared to older versions and come with all the fasteners and bushings; its a complete kit.

Whatnis nice about the newer versuon is that they have a cable slot on the throttle side. If younare up to it, remove the throttle cables and route them through but being hasty I just made a thin cut and opened up the two sides ofbthe slot, put the cables inside and the cut is barely noticeable. Anyone looking close enough to see it is probably too close to the Bandit anyway.

The new version has a sleeker look to them and as a bonus, if you want to mount some led strip lights on the leading edge you can route the wires without making additional holes, the cable slots are already there. There is a really nice flat area on the sides if you want to attach side marker lights or side reflectors.

How do they work for cold weather? Who knows because I've never found handguards to be effective in blocking wind no what brand or for what bike. There is simply too much exposure underneath and across the tip to really do much. I put them on to protect my hands in case a rock thrown up from a vehicle ahead hit my hands. Also, I think the Bandit looks better with them on.

On my Moto Guzzi Norge, I mounted a voltmeter inside the handguard, it was easy to see while being out of the way and did not come close to interferring with lever operations. I'll probably do the same with these.

Here you go: (install of grip heaters and Madstat in progress) The bar end weights are not yet installed but the kit has the correct spacers and all other mounting hardware and fasteners needed.

The PO had a very nice set of color matched bar end weights, made from aluminum. I prefer the OEM weights.

BTW, I have a better way to remove the rubber slug inserts from the bars. Way better than pulling, spraying WD40 all over or using a drill. Pics to come soon.

Guard1_zpshqjokbbq.jpg

Guard2_zpszku9gtr3.jpg

Guard3_zpsvfn4n7h8.jpg

Guard4_zpske0fvmpt.jpg

Guard5_zpstt17itqc.jpg

Last edited:
I can second it that the new Vstrom hand guards do indeed fit the big Bandit. Having had both I believe the new ones fit better than the originals did and even look better. And being a year-round rider I can say that, much like the originals, they unfortunately don't seem to do all that much to block the wind from your hands, which is what I had hoped for. So I never bother to remove them for Summer. I've thought about getting some polycarbonate or other rigid or semi-rigid material and making panels that I'd bolt to the hand guards to block the air from over and under (there was a thread on some site where a guy did this), but haven't got around to that.

So, is the consensus that the hand guards don't really protect the rider's hands from the wind/cold? If that's the case, what's the point of adding them? I can add a set of well-reviewed heated grips for about $40. Sounds like that's where I should spend my money instead.

My take on them is they will extend hand comfort to a little lower temps than you can stand without them but good winter gloves will too. I am sure used in conjunction with heated grips is the comfy setup.

Back